No Longer "Morbidly Obese"

• I don't take too much stock in the BMI but it was a little depressing seeing Morbidly Obsese on my BMI chart every week. I came in at 270 today which officially just put me in the Obese category. I never thought I would be so happy to just to be obese instead of morbidly so.

And who came up with "morbid obesity"? It just seems kind of hurtful and mean.
  • Yay!

I agree, morbidly obese just sounds mean!

I just checked, I have 8 pounds to go and I'll be obese too!
  • YES!!! Congratulations!!!!!! You worked so hard for that!!!!
  • congrats! I have a ways to go before I get to call myself just obese (have to get to 213). I can't wait though. It will be awesome, haha.
  • It's a medical term! And without meaning to pull a downer it indicates the degree of risk of morbidity (death) associated with the weight.

A friend of mine some time ago was up in arms and demanding I tell her how to report a doctor, he had been very insensitive and insulting about her in a medical report. She accepted that she was overweight, but this was just highly insulting.

I talked about the reg board for doctors and general complaints routes, but wanted detail on the insult. Apparently he had written that she was 'grossly obese' in the report.

I've noted that since then the term 'grossly' has been replaced with 'very' on most sites. Lol! changes in language can lead to strange things.

Congratulations on the change! We take the positives where we can and it sounds like you have put the work in and deserve a wonderful title that reflects who you are now and where you are going.

I am putting a vote in for 'Diva Weight' - the weight you are when you are succeeding in turning your life around!
  • Quote: I am putting a vote in for 'Diva Weight' - the weight you are when you are succeeding in turning your life around!
    I like it!
  • Congratulations! I think this is a big big thing!
  • Super yay!!!
  • Well done!!!!!
  • Congrats, punkrock!! You are doing awesome. It was one of the happiest days of my life when I dropped out of morbidly obese. I'm on my mission to get to "just overweight" and will be so happy to get there. I'm not sure I'll ever be a normal BMI but a girl can dream!
  • Good job!