Dr.'s Visit

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • Getting my meds straightend out.

Back to re-evaluating me for bi-polar For some idea the idea of low grade depression is better for me than bi-polar. But why does it matter.

So 3 more weeks of the Prozac to see how I feel and he doesn't want to change me so fast since I just had an "episode". Then I might be switched to Zoloft.

Anybody have some thoughts on bi-polar? Can you be fat and bi-polar? No one can think too much can they?

Miss Chris
  • Chris sweetie... don't be distressed. It's so good that you're getting evaluated again. Once you find out exactly what's what, you'll be able to get all kinds of helpful info.

My DH works with a number of people who are bipolar.

This is a really excellent support link.
    http://willigocrazy.org/Ch06a1.htm
    In fact, I think it would be helpful for everyone!

love and hugs...
  • My Favorite Miss Chris,

My bi-polar ex-boyfriend was fat.... and he was GREAT in bed, so I can only assume..

I know that the label can be depressing. I mean, bi-polar sounds so much more complicated than depression. It's like being labeled obese instead of just overweight, or pudgy. Once I remember someone said I had a learning disorder and I was SO offended... until I realized they were talking about my ADD. But remember, it's just a label and that's not nearly as important as the treatment.

I have a handful of friends that are bi-polar and they're some of the most creative and talented people I know. Although I barely know you, you're one of the strongest people around and totally willing to do whatever it takes to accomplish what you want. This is just part of that process.

My two cents.

HUGS!
  • Chris - when they do find out what is going on with you, at least you will be able to work with it.

I just hope that things get straightened out as quickly and easily as possible for you.

sending you good vibes
  • I agree with all the above, dear Miss Chris. You are such a special person, whatever it takes to figure out where to go from here, it is worth it - you are worth it!

Bipolar is just a name for a certain brain chemistry that can be levelled out with the right meds...I too know bipolar people and they are wonderful, brilliant, creative loving and lovable indeed. A doctor who herself is bipolar named Kay Redfield Jamison has written 2 books about her experiences (can't remember the names just now) & I thought they were very good.

Thanks for letting us know how you are doing - we are here for you any time! And please keep us posted - love, Lidian
  • Ellis, That website is awesome. The hiccup cure on there is awesome. THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

and THANK YOU Lidian, Squeak, Jessica for caring and sharing your input.

I got 2 books today.
    Undoing Depression by Richard O'Connor
    Simple Steps 10 Weeks to Getting Control of Your Life by Lelas, McClintock, and Zingarella

Step Books maybe it will be like BFL and I will just do and not think about it. How cool is that?

Miss Chris
  • There is actually two kinds of Bi-polar..Bipolar II is where you really really MANIC... where the manic is you don't sleep, don't slow down, do stupid spontaneous stuff- (like buying cars and boats on the spur of the moment) and there may be depression but not too bad.

The other is..... where your up is just pretty normal, hypomania.... you aren't nutty up there just okay happy.... and the depression can be really bad or just moderately bad. This is one that is harder to diagnose because it is really just alot like major depression but you don't stay down quite as long and don't get quite as happy as with a manic episode....

I was diagnosed with Bi-polar when I was diagnosed with Bulimia... The psychiatrist put me on Lithium, another medicine called Luvox and then two other medicine for Anxiety....I stayed on these for about a year and decided that I really didn't feel or think I was bi-polar that I had suffered from depression for a long time but personally just because I had depression I didn't think I met the criteria for what all he had diagnosed me with... I weaned myself off of the medications because I hated taking them and have only had one or two episodes of depression in the last 4 or 5 years...

Here is a pretty ok web site with the diagnostic criteria for the different disorders... mood disorders are very common just take it one day at a time and when all else fails get a second opinion.

http://www.psychologynet.org/

Hugs to ya,
    Amy
  • Hey Chris!! Just keep taking care of yourself, and come here if you want to scream, *****, moan or, for that matter, tell us how great things are going. You are a wonderful person and we all just want to see you doing well.
    xxoo
  • Den said it all, Chris.

I'm really glad you like that site. It's very "up".
    And yes... just do and not think about it... sounds good!
  • You are a wonderful person Chris, and very strong to go out and get those books - good for you!

You are all a terrific, wonderful group of uncommon women!

Love, Lidian
  • Been working on myself
    The book Undoing Depression is helping me out. I am so not bi-polar. The things that might appear bi-polar about me are personality traits. Values of hard work and goal orientation and being driven are from childhood. The original diagnosis of dysthymic disorder fits me much better, and I am sure it has exagerated some of these personality traits that mimic bi-polar. But I got journal entries to prove my point. I write alot during blacker periods, and they are chronic, low grade, and not stopping me from being functional. The cheerleader in me wants to see the bright side of life, it a combination of chemistry and comfortable behaviors that reek havoc on me.

Any way I just wanted to tell ya'll the book is helpful and if you get a chance check it out.

Miss Chris
  • Hey Chris-glad the book is helping- we are all here for you if you need us
  • Hi all,
    Can anyone give me some good info on biopolarity? I know I have wicked mood swings, thoughts of depression, anxiety, etc, are these symptons? I think I need to make a Dr's appointment!
    Am I just going crazy?
    Virginia
  • Virginia-Ellis posted a link earlier that looked really good. (Near top of page.)
    Seeing a doctor is always a good idea. I keep saying this, but one more time won't hurt: I waited WAY longer than I should have. If you are thinking about going then DO it!! The talking sure helps, and if you need the meds, the sooner the better!!! Are you crazy? Well they say it takes one to know one, but I'd say yes and no. I think this group of women is the craziest AND the sanest group of women I know!!!

Chris-That is my diagnosis too!! Plus a moderate amount of anxiety (Self diagnosed, but there for sure!!!) My quality of life sure has improved with the meds!!! Thanks for the book suggestion...I'll check it out!!!
  • Yeah, I'm going to check out that book too, Chris! Thank you!

Virginia... I PM'd you...

There are a LOT of us "crazy people" out there!