Bit the bullet...

• And signed myself and my almost 16yr old up at the gym. It is only a mile from my house. I used to work out there before while I lost a gazillion pounds.... then steadily gained it back and now I am really heavy. not looking forward to bumping into people who "knew me then". Will try to just keep my head down, get in, get out.

I know I should be happy my daughter wants to go (she is a little overweight) and I am always whining about how I wish she and I were closer...but honestly I prefer to work out alone. I consider it "my" time (yes, I know- SO SELFISH).

We are going tonight. I am walking in, signing the paperwork, getting on a treadmill or elliptical for 30 mins and walking out. That is all. No zumba, no weights, no nonsense. Just in and out before I embarrass myself too much.

Cheers.
  • This is awesome!! You should be so proud of you and your daughter. Once she gets used to the gym, you could still have it be your own time. She may really enjoy a class while you hit the cardio and weight equipment. What's important is that you both will motivate each other to GET to the gym, and hopefully that will also lead to eating well!
  • I'm so happy and excited for you (and your daughter)!!

Please don't worry about embarrassing yourself (I know, easier said than done). You are doing great things for yourself and this is a major step.

• Just think about the wonderful habits you're teaching your daughter. I like CoachAndrea85 said...she may end up doing her own thing.
  • So... we did 10 mins on the elliptical and 20 on the hamster wheel. We left and my daughter asked me to take her out for custard and Italian ice (there is a Rita's down the street from the gym). I told her if she did 5 workouts with me THEN I would take her--- but not after one workout. Came home and my other daughter (who is actually pretty fit) asked if I would sign her up, too. Now if I can just get hubby involved.....
  • Get the whole family down there and take over the place!

I love the gym, exactly because it is "my" time. I get up at 5am to get there, so it had better be!
  • Quote: I love the gym, exactly because it is "my" time. I get up at 5am to get there, so it had better be!
    I was kind of bummed my daughter wanted to come with because it is supposed to me MY time, too, but it is good she wants to work out. I also get up early for my 6am yoga class. Right now it is just once per week, but starting the 3rd week of June the yoga studio I go to it adding another 6am class. Means I have to get up at 5am, but I love getting my workout over and done with!
  • Good for you