Why do you want to lose weight?

You're on Page 1 of 4
Go to
  • Of course I'd like to improve my health but hey, let's be real..I'm 22 so there's definitely a huge desire to look good.
    Shorts, short dresses, bathing suits, tank tops and skinny jeans are amongst some of the things I can't wait to wear.

That's just a few things that help to push me to continue this journey but I'm also curious about others motivation.

So, why do you want to lose weight?
  • I want to lose weight so that I can borrow more than a scarf from my sister's closet!
  • Because I can.

Whereas once, not too long ago, I simply thought I could not.
  • I want to have a longer life. I'm just getting to the point in my life where I have the money to travel and I want to see the world well into my later years.

A great side benefit is knowing I look great and that my husband is proud to have me to show off to his friends
  • Fitness, I want to be able to do so much more than I previously have. I live in a country that is full of mountains and have a fiance that loves hiking but we haven't in the past because I can't. It sucks knowing that I'm stopping him from doing stuff he loves.

I also want to be a sexy bride and I don't want to have fat wedding pictures.
  • Not only do I want to feel comfortable in whatever I wear but I've also been learning a lot about food, nutrition and most importantly my body and mind. I want to live a long healthy life and be there for my DH, my family and my future kids and grand-kids and grand-grand-kids for as long as possible.
  • For me it definitely started with the clothes! I'm 26 so I want to be able to "feel young", when I was out with friends I felt like I was always the odd one out because I couldn't keep up with them at all because I was so out of shape.

But I also never lost weight that way because I wanted quick fixes, and refused to change my eating habits. Now I feel like I want to be healthier, be stronger, be able to go on a hike with friends, go clubbing maybe?! and not feel winded after the first 20 mins lol

but I have to say seeing clothes I could possibly fit into are a HUGE motivator now!
  • Originally it was for health and because I felt(and looked) gross. Then after losing a little I realized how much I adored exercise and I wanted to be able to do more and go farther and for that to be possible, I'd have to lose more weight. Now that I'm at a decent size and in the normal bmi range it's half for vanity and half because I want to go even farther and faster with my exercise, and being smaller will help with that.
  • Quote: I want to lose weight so that I can borrow more than a scarf from my sister's closet!
    That would be amazing for me if I could borrow my sister's clothes - she's been skinny her entire life...but she's also 5'1 so I could lose 190 lbs and still not be able to fit in her clothes! But I also always thought that would be a great bonding experience.

I want to be happier and healthier, and I like that I'm eating for fuel now and not just to deal with emotional problems/triggers.
  • I want to be healthier, both in body and in mind. I don't want to be self conscious when I where a form-fitting top. And I want to be able to really be an athlete on my field hockey team, not just the girl who's a goalie because she can't run
  • Health and vanity...but who am I kidding? It's mostly vanity .
  • Definitely for health reasons.

And to look and feel normal.
  • My health was never an issue (or at least I never thought it was, I didn't have any actual problems and my bloodwork was always good, but I didn't realize how crappy I felt until I actually started to feel better). But I've been fat since I was 17. I feel like I've wasted the best part of my youth. I just want to feel "normal" for a little while.
  • I want to be healthy, physically, mentally, and emotionally. I also want to be very fit, I want to feel great about the way I look and feel, I want to be a hotter wifey and I want to be able to start having children with my husband and be able to have healthy pregnancies!
  • I'll feel better physically - I'll have less joint pain, more strength, energy, and flexibility.

I'll feel better emotionally - I'll look and feel more attractive, be able to wear nicer clothing, feel less self-conscious and have more confidence.

I'll feel more in control of my life.

Even 15 pounds in I am starting to feel some of these things!