NSV- No Gestational Diabetes

• This is kind of a strange NSV, but it's a huge one for me.

Two years ago when I was pregnant with my first daughter I had to take the typical glucose test all pregnant women have to take. It picks up anyone who is at risk for gestational diabetes. It came back positive and I had to take the 3 hour glucose test which determines if you have gestational diabetes. My blood glucose levels came back just high enough to qualify me as having gestational diabetes.

Because I was under the care of midwives this meant I had to get a referral to the doctors at the hospital to have a meeting with a nutritionalist and to be given a blood glucose monitor.

I had no problem keeping my glucose levels in the normal range by limiting the amount of sugar and simple carbs I ate, but I hated the whole experience.

It's what really prompted me to start seriously looking at my diet and health. It's what motivated me to google diet advice after I had finished nursing my baby. It's what lead me to 3fatchicks. In the end it was the reality of having voluntarily allowed myself to develop a potential health risk to my child and myself that lead me to losing weight.

In the past two years I have lost 20 lbs and more importantly (to me) maintained that loss. I am much more active now. In fact I am still at my pre-pregnancy weight at 24 weeks. I've been particularly aware of the affects refined sugars have on me and really watch how much I eat.

I was really hoping these changes had been enough to bring me out of the unhealthy zone of gestational diabetes. My midwives actually suggested that I skip the initial test and go straight to the 3 hour glucose test because when you have gestational diabetes in a previous pregnancy it's almost guaranteed you'll develop it in later ones. I insisted on taking the initial test.

I got the call today from my midwife that the test came back negative, she was surprised her self and congratulated me. I'm so happy and proud!

And I have all you great people to thank. Especially those of you who regularly post. I have gained so much knowledge and motivation from the information and personal stories you share. HUGE thank-you to all of you!

Sorry for the long post!
  • Congratulations!!! What an awesome NSV!! I don't think it's strange at all, it's actually one of the best ones I ever read here!!
  • I had GD during my pregnancy as well, and I remember hating the whole experience too I am so happy for you that you don't have it this time around. It just goes to show that good nutrition & a healthy lifestyle CAN prevent those kinds of issues. I want to work on my health and have a healthier body so that when the time comes to try for another child....I can have the same results as you. Congratulations xo
  • That is EXCELLENT! Your hard work paid off, mama!
  • That's an amazing NSV! Congrats!!!
  • That has to be the best NSV ever! Some people just don't take their health and the health of their unborn children seriously. You did, and I am so impressed with your devotion and persistence. Keep up the good work and you will get a prize - a wonderful, healthy baby.
  • Super yay!!! Congrats!
  • Congratulations, that's a major accomplishment. Great NSV!
  • Thanks everyone! I'm so happy to be having a healthier pregnancy this time, it's nice to see hard work pay off in ways other than a smalerl pant size.