Have high cholesterol and need help

• My doctor told me I need to go on a low fat- low cholesterol diet. I need help with meal planning as I don't know what to eat.
    Thank you.
  • Did your doctor recommend SB? if so, check out the recipe section for ideas. it is broken down into each Phase of SB. Also, the foods to enjoy lists are quite helpful too. Planning is key to staying on track.
  • , beachlover98! I can understand your concern about how to plan your meals to suit your diet. Have your read the South Beach Diet book to understand the fundamentals of this plan? There is a wealth of valuable information in there to help guide you on why we avoid certain foods and what foods are healthy choices.

We do keep an updated list of Phase 1 and Phase 2 approved foods in our stickies section of this forum, but you really need to read the book to fully comprehend how this plan will work best for you.

Good luck!
  • One of the office girls called me and said that all of my numbers were bad and that the doctor wanted me to eat a low fat-low cholesterol diet and to exercise. Then in six months we would do a follow up.
    I guess I'm also confused because I'm not sure if I should start in Phase 1 or Phase 2.
    I am 5' 4" and weigh 120 pounds. Should I start phase one because of craving concerns or should I start out in Phase 2?
  • It does not sound like you need to lose weight, but rather to change your eating habits. So I think you could do one week of Phase 1 but don't worry about portion control as much. The diet is designed to reduce cravings for carbs and processed foods, both of which raise your cholesterol levels.
  • I hope your instruction was more specific than that. I was able to reduce my numbers by eating 10 grams of saturated fat or less a day. It might also be helpful if you met with a dietician.
  • LRH
    I'm sorry to say that was exactly the conversation. I guess that's why I have some confusion.

Thank you all for your comments and help.
  • I was diagnosed with high cholesterol years ago. My doctor sent me to a nutritionist who reviewed my eating habits and made suggestions. I didn't really need to lose any weight at the time. Key for me is usually watching the saturated fat in foods I eat. I have also found that I can raise my good cholesterol with exercise. However, for me, my cholesterol is familial and so I have also been on medication for years.

Following this plan might help you lower yours. But there is a wealth of information out there about foods to ADD that can lower cholesterol as well. My husband made such efforts once and lowered his significantly in a few months.

Good luck.