I have just joined a gym

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Can't believe I did that.

But a work colleague suggested he take me to show me the ropes with the gym we have at work ($30/month). So I said yes.

First day will be tomorrow. That means I need to buy some sports shoes and shorts tonight.

Wish me luck!

This is nuts!
  • HA! Good Going IanG !! You'll rock it !!
  • Ohhh good luck
  • Good luck!! I actually went to the gym yesterday for the first time in a loooong time. Big NSV for me!

Let us know how it goes
  • Good luck Ian, its not as terrifying as I thought it was going to be!
  • AWESOME, IAN! I look forward to watching your body transform even more! I ADORE my gym!
  • Good luck Ian!! Those yoga pants will surely look good now!
  • Thanks everyone!

Should I wear short-shorts?
  • gratz ian! beat those weights like they owe you money!
  • Ha ha! Thanks Bluejay.

I wonder how often should I go?

I need to try to integrate this into my day so that I don't go to the gym when it's too busy and I still get time to eat (and most important buy/choose) lunch (without a long line).

I'm thinking of going 4pm or 4.30pm every weekday if work will allow me to do that.

And I have no idea how long people spend in a gym. Is it normally an hour?
  • So happy for you, Ian!!! Wear whatever makes you comfortable if that means wearing short-shorts, heh.

As for how often to go, it is up to you. Start out slow if you'd like. The length is also up to you, I think 1 hour is good. I cannot imagine staying in a gym for more than 1 hour at a time but that is just me.
  • Go as often and for as much time as you can comfortably do I think.

Give yourself some extra time at the start to get acquainted with your gym, and how to use all the stuff, you said you have someone going to help you out - awesome!

I see people who fly into the Gym, pound out an intense 15 minutes on the elliptical and do a quick lap of the weight machines and are out the door again.

I find it easy to lose track of time in there and have spent 2 hours without even noticing!

lol @ short shorts
  • Good luck! Hopefully you'll learn to love it. I miss the gym. Never thought I would say that. After I moved back in with my parents, I had to quit going because there are no gyms in this area at all. The closest one is about 10 miles out of my way.
  • If you wear short-shorts we demand pictures!!
  • You inspired me Ian, joined one today.