Sorry if TMI - TOM & Medifast

• Did anyone else notice a significant difference in their monthly cycle while on Medifast? Without giving too much gory detail, I have been irregular my entire life, with anywhere from 30-60 day cycles. My TOM typically is very light and lasts 2-3 days. I considered myself lucky

This month my cycle was 22 days - and I've been soaking a pad every 60-90 minutes for 2 1/2 days, even through the night. I know there are people who always deal with this (and worse) every month,but it's so unusual for me it's freaking me out.

I asked my MF counselor about it this morning and she said it may be a reaction to the large amounts of soy in the MF meals. Evidently soy has large amounts of estrogen? I'd never heard that before.

Has anyone else had similar experiences?
  • Yes-I started MF twice last Fall and had the same symptoms even though I am on BCP continuously. I stopped both times because I was so miserable. But re-started in January and just suffered through it. It went away after the first few weeks and has not returned since. Hang in there--likely it will get much better.
  • Quote: Yes-I started MF twice last Fall and had the same symptoms even though I am on BCP continuously. I stopped both times because I was so miserable. But re-started in January and just suffered through it. It went away after the first few weeks and has not returned since. Hang in there--likely it will get much better.
    Thanks for the response melaniv! I'm definitely not quitting MF for this crazy period (I've lost 13+ pounds in 3 weeks!), but it's good to know it will level off eventually.
  • I also had the same issues as well and severe cramping that left me in tears! None of this was the norm for me. I had to go through it for 3 months before I realized that if I stay off of the bars a week before TOM and during that it actully lessens these symptoms. So, needless to say I very rarely eat the bars and now my symptoms are null to nill.
  • I have mirena and hadn't had a period for over a year when I started MF. It was very strange to have a period after a month of MF.....like a real tampon worthy period. Month 2 was a little lighter and month 3 I think I spotted for a day. The body will adjust to it...
  • Well, soy has Phytoestrogens which can cause estrogen-like effects, but in addition to that, women store a lot of estrogen in their fat cells. As women lose fat while dieting, that estrogen is released into the body. So you could be getting a double-whammy effect!
  • Quote: Well, soy has Phytoestrogens which can cause estrogen-like effects, but in addition to that, women store a lot of estrogen in their fat cells. As women lose fat while dieting, that estrogen is released into the body. So you could be getting a double-whammy effect!
    Thanks! I didn't know estrogen is released from fat cells when losing. I'm getting kind of nervous about my next monthly. I should be starting in a week or two. I hope it's better than last time
  • I got my first last week on MF, and I was pleased to note that I still lost a little weight that week. For me the difference was normally, the first 2 days are heavy and the last three very, very spotty and light. NEVER more then 5 days. This time...6 days HEAVY flow, and then a sudden stop, I had some pretty bad cramping, but that's not unusual.