Dogs and running what kind?

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • Hi all those of you that know me know We have just lost our beloved Great Pryrnees....... We are trying to heal slowly and while we are we have been talking puppies.....our big boy was not a runner and was pretty lazy,had to be on leash would just lay down and at 160 lbs I would stop dead in my tracks,and sometimes he would turn around and run home it was always a wild ride with him...so I went alone. As we continplate a new addition would like one that could develop into a running companion.
    So if you run with yours what kind do you have???
  • I run with my Boxers - they do great.

Other dogs that are known to be runners are Australian Shepherds and German Shepherds.

Actually just found this great article that I had read before...

http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/breed-apart

and another

http://tookooldoggies.blogspot.com/2...t-running.html
  • Whippets, Rhodesians Ridgebacks to name a few.
    Roo2
  • I almost posted the same article as cherry! We have a beagle/cocker mix who loves to run! Honestly, my advice is go to a shelter & ask for the dog with the most energy lol. Good luck with your search Deva.
  • Border Collie or lab...or mix of the two of them.
  • I have to second the Boxers While my two don't run anymore,when they were younger...especially my male,would run and run and run.
  • Didn't know about your loss, so sorry!

I don't always take a dog with me to walk or jog, but when I take my Border Collie she loves it. She & my BC/Blue Heeler mix have sooo much energy so it helps burn off a lot of it.
  • Thanks all we have been thinking of an Australian Shepard hubby is talking two not sure I am ready for that! We are in the country and I run in cow fields and on trails they seem agile and sweet.......we are needy.
  • I have a redbone coonhound/rottweiler and let me tell you, that dog is so full of energy. I can't keep up with her if I were to let her be in control.

Labs always want to go go go as well. I like mixed breeds myself, as they are less prone to problems/diseases.
  • I don't have a dog but a good friend of mine runs with her Australian shepherd. She is such a great, friendly dog and very well behaved.

Sorry about your loss =(
  • I run with my pit bull. We also have a larger size chihuahua that NEVER runs out of energy and can keep with us no matter what we do!

My pit bull is really up there in age and is slowing down and she will not be running much longer. I am thinking of getting another pit or a Vizsla.They are another great running breed!
  • It's best to avoid the giant breeds -- their hips can be problematic. And no short-faced breeds, either, as they tend to have breathing issues.

Our shepherd loves to run. Labs, Aussies, Weimaraners and border collies all have lots of energy. (Though maybe too much, depending on how far/often you run! I know my lazy butt could never keep a border collie happy, lol!) Whippets and greyhounds might be great choices if you don't do a lot of running in colder weather. I hear greyhounds are also quite the couch potatoes indoors, if you want a dog that's not too "busy" all the time.

I'd probably avoid most scenthounds, like beagles, as most of them tend to like to wander off and do their own thing, rather than heeling properly.
  • I have a border collie/ australlian cattle dog mix who could run for forever. You could borrow her to wear her out whenever but I doubt you could actually wear her out lol.
  • Quote: It's best to avoid the giant breeds -- their hips can be problematic. And no short-faced breeds, either, as they tend to have breathing issues.

Our shepherd loves to run. Labs, Aussies, Weimaraners and border collies all have lots of energy. (Though maybe too much, depending on how far/often you run! I know my lazy butt could never keep a border collie happy, lol!) Whippets and greyhounds might be great choices if you don't do a lot of running in colder weather. I hear greyhounds are also quite the couch potatoes indoors, if you want a dog that's not too "busy" all the time.

I'd probably avoid most scenthounds, like beagles, as most of them tend to like to wander off and do their own thing, rather than heeling properly.
    This!!!

Sorry about the loss of your dog.
  • I have a pitbull and he comes on runs with us all the time. We have trails up here that we run through and he runs without a leash (obviously if we see people we leash him back up) but he keeps up with us, stays right by our side and has more energy than we do. Even when we go on fast paced walks through the neighborhood he goes goes goes until it's time to stop. Our pug on the other hand, not so much. We get to the end of the driveway and she's over working out.