So, at almost 40 and realize I maybe getting "old"

• So, I am 3 months away from 40 and at one time I thought I was pretty "hip" and up to new things.... and I am now realizing I am "not so much" into it.

I have had a few programs on my smartphone that help count calories. But, I just want my paper journal. No matter how convenient the electronic way is, I just want paper.... so I went and got a paper diet journal today.

BUT, this is not the only thing.... I want a paper book (although I like the electronic kind if I am on the road).... I want a REAL magazine.... etc.

So, count me in the "set in my ways" category. Am I just strange or are there others in the same category?
  • I'm 37 and might be stuck between young and old!!! I track on paper AND on MFP via my phone.

I feel like the paper is more accurate for some reason (no logical reason!) and I love being able to breeze back through 8 months of my diet and seeing all my healthy choices.

It's like a tangible bible of my success!!
  • I am 35 and I only count calories etc in a paper notebook...I finally got a cell phone about 5 years ago and actually have a smartphone now but I find electronic devices to be rather annoying and I prefer the old-fashioned way of keeping track of my food and exercise...I also like books and not reading them on devices...nothing beats the feel and smell of a REAL book!
  • You are not strange! I actually make a joke out of embracing my 1980s ways (LOL) and I LOVE writing things down on paper. It gives me great joy to shun electronic lists.

I kept calling my iPod my "walkman" so many times I decided to just own it and call it that. It makes people laugh and they think I'm joking but secretly I'm not joking

I'm not old, I just appreciate the "old" days and there's nothing wrong with that. I can still use my iPhone and iPad and computers like a boss!
  • You are only as old as you feel. I am 38 years old, but I was acting the age of a 50+ year old man before I undertook this journey (I have only just bought a smartphone!).

Now I feel, and in some ways am acting, like a 17 year old again. It's freaking nuts!

You're only truely old when you turn down the music in your car "because it's too loud".
  • Tammy, you know our motorcycles are making the years peel away

I haven't embraced cell phones, I do carry one for emergencies only, and it's just a trackphone; I just don't like to talk on the phone that much.

But I love my laptop, I'm the mistress of DH's and my website, I love my Kindlefire for it's web browsing abilities...but I still love to manually write. I love good pens ( I have a Montblanc!) and nice paper and I love to write thank you notes I still enjoy holding a book to read, however I've given up newspapers for online content.

I've heard that 20-somethings think that email is old fashioned now !
  • I am glad I am not alone!!! Thank you all!!!

Holly, you are right about the motorcycles peeling away the years.... Take that size 2 "teen"...and I do love good ink pens.

Ian, I haven't turned down the radio much... Lol

Elvislover324, that's why I want to have a paper journal... Get back on track.

Alaskanlaughter, I love the smell of a new leather bound book!

Breathingspace, lmao on the Walkman.... And I love my 80s ways... Just think the styles are on their way back in.... Although I hope the tight rolled pants don't come back.... Those were not comfortable if you got them tight enough. Lol.
  • I'm with you 100% ! I am 39 and love cards & letters in the mail and all things that are not tech age. I miss the "personal" days that my kids will never experience. Sigh....