Trying lower carb/higher protein

You're on Page 3 of 3
Go to
  • This is completely anecdotal and probably doesn't mean anything (even to my body), but i ate a bagel for breakfast today and it's the first time in a long time that i wasn't hungry by lunchtime.
  • Honestly, I would die without carbs. I know that sounds horrible, but I would find it to much of a pain to limit myself in such a way when I do not need to. Yes, maybe I'd have more energy or maybe I'd not be as hungry, but I would always feel like I had to watch every little thing I ate.
  • Quote: Honestly, I would die without carbs. I know that sounds horrible, but I would find it to much of a pain to limit myself in such a way when I do not need to. Yes, maybe I'd have more energy or maybe I'd not be as hungry, but I would always feel like I had to watch every little thing I ate.
    I can understand that. That's why YMMV is such an important thing on diet boards. Some people lose steadily on a low-fat regimen. Others find that they need to lower carbs instead. (usually it's one or the other, although when you lower food intake (calories), you lower both)

Personally, I've found great freedom in choosing to avoid starches and sugars. But for me, it has to do with insulin and sugar issues. When I eat carbs, I have to check my blood glucose regularly to make sure I'm not eating so much that I'm spiking my sugar. When I eat lower carb, I know I'm not spiking, so I have more freedom from my meter. And freedom from hunger and cravings and that after-meal sleepiness that comes when I eat more than a serving of carbs.

It's an attitude thing. I'm not depriving myself of carbs. WHen I eat carbs... THAT is when I'm deprived of energy and health and weight loss. When I choose not to eat carbs, I free myself to burn fat more easily.

But that's what works for me -- someone with Insulin resistance, PCOS, and pre-Diabetes. I definitely have metabolism issues, so lower-carb/higher-fat works better for me than lower-fat/higher-carb.
  • I hadn't really thought about it, but I've been doing both calorie counting and watching carbs and realized that I'm never hungry any more. Still have cravings, but that's a mental issue, not a hunger issue.

Lately I just upped my carbs a little bit. I was trying to stay under 75g/day. However, I was tired all the time and just had no energy. I upped it to 100g/day -- which for the true low carb dieter is close to blasphemy -- but I feel a lot better and am still losing weight. Since you're maintaining, it will probably just take a few days or even weeks until you find what your sweet spot is. But, I've definitely found that the higher protein/lower carb approach keeps me from wondering when the next meal will be served before I even leave the table!
  • Well, I'm back to my high-carb (300 g/day) diet. Low-carb just wasn't doing it for me. While I may never be able to eat enough to feel physically satisfied, psychological satisfaction also counts for something -- well, a lot -- and high carb makes me a lot happier, without making a noticeable difference in satiety or ability to maintain my weight.

Freelance
  • I'm very much like Synger on this - and of the same mindset, too. Not everyone needs low carb (like my husband, he does just fine with ridiculous amounts of carbs and junk, stuff I couldn't stomach without weight gain AND sensitivity reactions!). It is very much a spectrum of tolerance, and some people tolerate and every thrive on vastly different diets than others.

This is what makes finding an 'ideal human diet' almost impossible - different bodies have different needs. It was worth a shot for your satiety, but go with what is most comfortable for you. I, myself, took several weeks to acclimate to a low carb diet and feel better on it (it was miserable for the first few weeks - exhaustion and cravins like crazy!) but if you're seeing no benefit at all, not even more fullness or mental satisfaction from your food choices, I wouldn't bother with it any longer
  • Quote: if you're seeing no benefit at all, not even more fullness or mental satisfaction from your food choices, I wouldn't bother with it any longer
    I did consider the possibility that I might be bailing prematurely, but sometimes you just know, y'know? That little voice inside me was getting pretty insistent, so I listened.

F.
  • And it's not like you were stalled out or otherwise failing on your previous dietary intake, either! It really could just be that your struggle with maintenance will be satisfaction on less food than you'd like. I love eating, quantity wise, and it has been tough to balance calories with 'full'. Low carb has made that easier, but the struggle hasn't completely gone away.

Bummer, that. But a fairly minor thing to manage, compared to being obese!
  • I'm not saying you should try again, but - if you're going to try again you may want to go much higher on the fat side and see how that works.

For me personally, protein doesn't do much for saiety but protein + fat does.