Ketogenic diet

You're on Page 3 of 4
Go to
  • Frustrated
    Hello everyone. I am new to the Keto Diet and have been on it about 3 weeks. I really have more maintained than lost any weight. I really need some tips on how to start loosing. I have been fasting in the mornings until about 1:00 pm. I eat chicken salad with a pickle for lunch along with some almonds.
    jello for snack

I try not to eat anything with flour and make all of my other things with almond flour.

Im lost
    please help.
  • I'm still on the Atkins diet, which is ketogenic diet but not Keto.

Can you post a menu? How much weight do you have to lose? If you don't have much to lose it can be stubborn.
  • I'm also on a bit of a stall.
    I did great the first 5 days. I dropped 8 pounds, but these last 5 days I haven't dropped anything.
    A typical menu is Fasting for breakfast.
    A snack of almonds and string cheese
    chicken with the skin, Bacon for lunch
    Avocado, two eggs or sometimes more chicken with asparagus or spinach cooked in grass-fed butter.

My Macros break down to 70-75% fat 20-25% protein and 8-10% carbs.
    They can swing though, sometimes I only have 3 carbs for the whole day and sometimes I'll have 24.
    Sometimes my fat drops to 50% and protein can hit 37-40%
    Calories swing from 1500 to 700. High fat days tend to be lower calorie as I'm just not hungry.

I've no idea if I'm in Ketosis or not, I need to invest in some testing strips. But I'm just curious as to why I've stalled. with the calories averaged out I should still be losing just from BMR alone. Im very confused.
  • Sakai - there is a video out on YouTube by "Ask Nurse Cindy" talking about water balloons and fat loss. It really helped me understand fat loss because my scales stall sometimes on low carb/keto and I get discouraged.
  • New to keto 2
    Quote: I have just started on a ketogenic diet. Higher in fat than protein and under 20g carbs. I am keeping my foods to all unprocessed and no dairy.

Is anyone else here doing a ketogenic diet with unprocessed foods(not atkins). How are you going with it?.
    Just started on friday pretty good so far
  • New to keto 2
    Quote: I started out good and got into ketosis for a couple of days. Then I had a conference to attend and had to eat out a couple of times, made the best of it but that knocked me out of ketosis. I'm trying to get back in, I'm at 20g of carbs but the ketostix is still not changing colors. I'm ok with it because mostly I feel full and not craving sweets like before and when on other diets.
    The best way to get to ketosis is keep carbs as low as possible i try for under 10 a day... I find keto great for eating out basically hold breads and starchesand restaurants are getting way more flexible for us that helps too
  • I've been on a "keto" style diet for the past 6 months as part of a gut-reset protocol. In the last 2 months, I have really gone hard at reducing carbs. Ration is about 70/15/15 fat/carb/protein. At first it was SUPER tough to manage the mood swings and energy slumps. Things are normalizing now. I'm not in it for massive weight loss gains, more for quality of life gains and long-lasting weight maintenance I suppose. Really, it makes sense that we are supposed to eat like this. Avoiding processed food AND cultivated grains (a recent addition to the western diet). When you know how these foods are 'made' / grown, it will soon convert you!
  • Hello Guys
    I got a keto diet kindle book on amazon few weeks ago and its honestly really helpful
    it tells you pretty much about everything, also it has a lot of easy tasty recipes
    Im not allowed to put a link so here is the ..
    ASIN: B07HFMM88B
    on amazon
  • Just to update, I figured Keto out ^.^ LOL I was such a newbie when I made that post. Even so, I'm reading Keto Clarity because you never stop learning. I've dropped 60 pounds now. And I do plan on continuing Keto
  • Quote: Just to update, I figured Keto out ^.^ LOL I was such a newbie when I made that post. Even so, I'm reading Keto Clarity because you never stop learning. I've dropped 60 pounds now. And I do plan on continuing Keto
    What did you learn on keto? I'm a keto newbie as well too. I'm now 18 days on Keto. I lost 7.5 lbs my first week and since then I've lost nothing. I kind of go up and down the same 2 lbs. I don't know what I'm doing wrong... :/ But I'm going to keep at it. I'm just a lil discouraged. I'm also on OMAD.... #WhateverItTakes
  • Have you consulted to a doctor first before trying to try Keto diet?
  • Quote: I keep taking stabs at it. I'm a type 2 and not on any meds, so when I eat ketogenic, my blood sugar levels to much better. But I haven't found the right mix of fat/protein/carbs that I can easily live with. But still working at it.

I find that I do much better with a very ketogenic breakfast and lunch, then I increase carbs a bit for afternoon snack. I am still trying to find the right mix of macros for dinner that doesn't make my morning blood sugar spike. If I eat more than 25 gm of protein, I'm in trouble. But if I eat less, I feel very hungry. I am still not eating enough fat in the evening. Hard for me to do without dairy.

I stick with unprocessed foods and my body seems to do better on that. I feel more energized now that I'm entirely off processd foods.

Have you try to consult to a doctor before trying KETO
  • Good Evening, My name is Latishia. I use to frequent these forums a few years ago but life happened and I got away from it all. I started this year at 188.8 and started Keto on Jan 3. I managed to get down to 164.4 before the world turned upside down and our "normal" was thrown out the window. Since then I have been having a real hard time and I have managed to put back on 10 lbs. I go to bed so sick every night but cant seem to get out of the cycle I have found myself in. Last night I signed back into my 3FC account and started keto again today.

Today was a good first day. I had 2 boiled eggs, 1 slice of deli turkey breast, a cheese string and some cashews for breakfast. For lunch I ate 2oz chicken breast, cheese slice, broccoli and ranch dip. Then for supper I enjoyed a lettuce wrap burger with pickles and a side of asparagus with melted Chez Whiz. Felt good to not snack and munch all day. I actually felt full and didn't have any cravings or munchies today. I had 4 bottles of water (I need to up my water intake) and went for a 2km walk then a 2km bike ride. It was a great day.

I don't track macros or count calories. I purchased a 8 week meal plan in December when I first started Keto and I just substitute things I dont like (tonight was supposed to be mustard and garlic herb roasted pork chops with asparagus and cashew salad - but I am an incredibly picky/plain eater). I have ketostix I will try on Wednesday to see how I am doing. In Jan/Feb I was at a large amount of ketones but haven't been able to get past trace since March even with three days of liquid fast (broth, tea, water). So I am nervous that it wont show and then I will get discouraged and binge again. I am trying hard not to think that far ahead and just take it one meal at a time. I feel so much better when I eat right. Just wish my brain would remember that instead of giving in to cravings or thinking it needs junk that it doesn't. I lay in bed at night so nauseated in cold sweats yelling at myself that tomorrow is going to be better, no more sweets, no more sugar...but then the morning comes and I have horrible not-even-food foods for breakfast, then because its not satisfying or filling I binge eat all day and repeat. Today though, I felt in control. I felt so good. I felt prepared. Tomorrow, I will try and remind myself of the good things about today.

Good Night everyone. Praying tomorrow brings you success and contentment.
    God Bless.
    Latishia
  • claustin- ketostix measure EXCESS ketones that are being discarded. So at the beginning of cutting carbs you’ll show a high level of ketones in urine. But once your body is “fat adapted” as in more adjusted to ketosis, you’ll be using the ketones, not peeing as much out. So ketostix can be misleading. Measuring breath (ketonix) or blood (Keto-mojo) are more accurate, but none of them are necessary. As long as you aren’t letting your carb intake creep up on you, you’ll be in ketosis
  • Anyone still around on keto?