Weight Training and Excess Skin

• Hi. I know everyone is different and a bunch of other factors can play into this, but has anyone weight trained after surgery? If so, did it help prevent excess skin on your body?
  • Weight training is absolutely recommended post surgery as toned muscles will definitely assist with filling out that excess skin. Now don't quote me on this but I have seen at least 1 person post WLS who competed in a body building competition with no loose skin at all. Now I don't know how old she was, younger skin will have more elasticity and shrink more easily. As well I have heard that people who are able to attain lower body fat will have less loose skin. Don't take this as personal experience, like you said it will really depend on who old you are, your highest weight, how long you were at that weight etc. but I like to think there is hope for all of us.
  • I hope so!
  • it's always a good idea to weight train, but as Jen said, so many other factors go into the saggy baggy skin problem that there's no guarantee. Just focus on the fact that each pound of added muscle burns 50 calories a day - and a pound of fat burns exactly 0. so build the muscle!
  • Wow I did not know that! Thats a great incentive!
  • see? whether or not you end up with saggy skin, you'll be so much healthier!