Got Mosquitoes? One for the gardeners..

You're on Page 2 of 3
Go to
  • Den, they're talking about spraying here, too. You know, I go outside now and I've got to make sure I'm covered in mosquito repellent and sun screen. Makes me just want to hole up.

I had to trap and release 3 large bees from our house yesterday. Poor things... they were so glad to get outside again. But my little DS was TERRIFIED!

You know what freaks me out is moths. Big moths. Big hairy moths that get in my hair and hurl themselves at my face. I become a crazed woman when one gets in our bedroom at night when we're reading. DH has to kill it, otherwise I'll sleep downstairs. They're totally attracted to me. I think they can smell the fear, Den.
  • Oh yes, Den, that is very true. I am sure that the bees and wasps sense the fear! My DDs are just like me. Though once on a hike, we were going through a meadow (in August this was) & a bumblebee landed on younger DD's face & she was scared but was very calm on the outside & it just flew away. I myself could not have done that! She reminds me about this constantly, too!

Lidian
  • humph! Got our first dead crow in Ottawa. Right outside the old City Hall. damn.
  • I don't mind bees so much since they tend to go about their own business (minding their own beeswax? ) but wasps seem to attack people just because they are there

Ellis- we were in Brockville on Monday afternoon and I saw a dead black bird-could have been a crow- lying on the grass by the sidwalk covered in flies...my first thought was poor birdie folllowed by West Nile virus!!!! Later that night my ankle was itchy and I thought "that better not be a misquito bite! silly me
  • Bugs don't usually bother me, but I HATE silverfish. We had LOTS of them at the old house and some of them were HUGE. They appear from nowhere and run around all squirmy on their hundreds of legs........EEWWW!!!!!!!!!
  • Oh yuck, Mauvais. Listen darling, you're supposed to pick it up and take it to the Health Dept.

Oh lordy... silverfish. They are DISGUSTING, Den! I see the occasional one in the tub. I keep having to remind myself though that it's better than having cockroaches. When we bought this house it was CRAWLING with the damned things. Naturally we didn't see them until moving day. Had to get the exterminator in. blah.
  • Wait a minute... are you talk about centipedes? We've got those in the basement. Those are GOOD bugs! (they eat bad bugs) Pretty damned hairy, though.
    And those little armoured sow bugs. Those are cute. We have a few of those in the damp end of our basement.
  • That Skin so soft and alcohol shots don't sound particularly tasty. :0
  • Ellis-yeah, like I was going to pick up a dead crow with my bare hands and carry it to the hot car and drive it to the health department which was closed since it was a holiday on Monday

Den-I hate silverfish too! They are so icky and they move so fast and they go in the drawers of your dresser No matter how clean your apartment is you can't get rid of them without the exterminator-you usuallly get them in older buildings.
  • I just knew you had it all thought out, Mauvais.
  • Oh, I hate silverfish too. They move so fast which especially scares me! My youngest, who likes to hug trees and loves all the little creatures (except bees & wasps) would probably ask me to take the hairy little things outside. And help them make themselves a nice house, and maybe also find them some magazines to read. Ha ha.

I don't like mice either. We had a couple once but our lazy cats rose to the occasion and each one got one of the mice. Thank goodness DH was the first one up in the morning cuz the cats brought their offerings upstairs. How thoughtful!

Lidian
  • Mauvais-YUP!!!! CREEPY.

Lidian-Have you ever had the "offering" left in your slipper? Talk about a RUDE awakening!!

Ellis-Did you take YOUR crow in? (YES, I AM a troublemaker!!!)
  • I'd like them a little better if someone would change the name. Silverfish. YUCK!! Lidian, I think it would be impossible to pick one up to take it outside, anyhow... they're so soft, they squash on contact. blah.

Den darling, it wasn't ME that found the crow at city hall. It was probably some government worker on their lunch break. Could have even been Chretien out for a stroll. He DOES live just down the street.
    (anyhow, there's no damned way I'd be pickin' up a dead crow, either!)

DD and a friend were getting ready to go cross-country skiing last year. Her friend was borrowing some of our skiing equipment. He put his foot into a boot and discovered a dead mouse.
    Ever since I have SHAKEN my shoes out before putting them on.
  • Grrrrr.....
    Friggin' mosquitos hatched. Two bites today. I'm sure I have West Nile Virus now.
  • Oh Sojo... I hear ya. I went into my garden yesterday morning and there were SWARMS of baby mosquitos buzzing about. Take comfort... those mosquitos probably haven't bitten a crow yet.