Old 05-15-2003, 11:36 AM   #1  

Default What program is best for diabetics?

I am at my wits end. After reading Protein Power, I'm still not convinced that it is the right program for me. I am a type two diabetic and would like to lose some weight and at the same time normalize my blood sugar levels. I don't mind wasting my money on a book if the plan will help me. I read Dr. Bernstein's diabetes solution but he limits you on what you can eat and I was constantly starving. The South Beach Diet didn't seem safe to me. What about the Carb Addits Diet or Sugar Busters? I know that some of these diets are fads but do they actuall work? I don't see my Doctor until next month and I don't want to call him to ask for his advice because he will probably tell me to do the ADA diet.

I value your opinions and I could really use it!

Thanks!

Ilana
Old 05-15-2003, 01:32 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Well, I am a type 2 diabetic as well and have stabilized my blood fasting sugar levels by eating low carb (mainly Atkins). I am currently adding low GI carbs and monitoring carefully. I have not lost weight but my BGL is more important at the moment.

I think the best plan for diabetics is one you can stick to! My suggestion would be to pick a plan and try if for a month, monitoring BGL every morning first thing.

I am puzzled over why you found the South Beach Diet unsafe? To me it is less restrictive than Atkins.

Keep researching and good luck with whatever you try.
Old 05-15-2003, 06:34 PM   #3  
she who must be obeyed

Hi Ilana, in the past, I did the Carbohydrate Addicts Lifespan Program, by Rachel and Richard Heller. I lost 78 pounds and had my blood sugar so under control, my doc was deleting meds........Until I fell off the wagon

I found low-carb to be the very best thing for controlling my sugars.

If you do look into the Hellars plan, make sure you get the newer book (the one I mentioned above) not the CAD book.........many updates and a better life plan in the newer book.

Take it from me, I'm sure you already know this, but weight loss will greatly improve your diabetes. My doc has now proclaimed me to be diabetes free, her words, not mine.

Good Luck to you