Maintenance Crock Pot Recipes

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • Quote: Crockpot "rotisserie" chicken:

Ingredients:
    1 whole frozen chicken, giblets removed (I get pastured chickens which are pretty small)
    About 1/2 C of your favorite liquid (e.g. water, white wine, apple cider, etc.)
    Your favorite spices

Put whole frozen chicken in crock pot, breast side up if it'll fit that way, otherwise however you can fit it. Add liquid and spices. Cook on low for 10 hours.

I love this because I don't have to remember to defrost the chicken first; it goes in frozen and comes out with the meat falling off the bones. The skin gets pretty soggy esp. on the bottom, but we all take the skin off around here anyway, right? It's very easy to shred up whatever meat is left after you eat what you want and use in other recipes, plus you'll get some broth left at the bottom (though you will need to strain off the fat).

I just did this with a turkey breast (with ribs and spine) but without the liquid. It cooked down wonderfully. And the fat and juices ran out, so you can make gravy it you are so inclined or save the liquid for soup. So delicious.