TMI but I have a bathroom related question

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • So I've been eating not only less, but super healthy. Lots of veggies, fruits, and all that. My question is how many times are you guys going to the bathroom during the day. (#2) I'm finding some days I'm going 2 if not 3 times a day. Anyone know if this is normal?

Sorry.. I know TMI.. But had to ask!!
  • Normal, probably! I'm very regular, it's not unusual for me to go 2 to 3 times per day. I would only be concerned if there was urgency, if you were having stomach pains, if it's diarrhea, that type of thing. I had a biology teacher tell my class once that it's ideal to go every time you eat; something to do with eating stimulating your bowels.

So there ya go, and you thought YOUR post was TMI, LOL!
  • I'm actually less regular (3.5 weeks in) than I was before. I'm eating salad daily and lots more fresh fruit, so I'm not sure why. I actually had to resort to a laxative this week (after stool softeners didn't work)

I used to go 2-3 times a day--I don't like this every 2nd or 3rd day (or once even longer, hence the laxative.)

I wouldn't worry about 2-3 times a day as long as you feel fine and they're "normal".
  • Everybody poops. I have no problems talking about it!

I have been having poo's far more often these days. It used to be once a day, sometimes if I ate too much meat/cheese every other day (not good) Now I am finding that I can poop up to 3 times day. Usually first thing in the morning, and then again a few hours after breakfast (usually bran cereal)

I feel like its a good thing, clearing out all the crap from my system. All of the veggies and added fiber really made a difference on the kinds of poops I have too!
  • Yeah it feels normal. No urgency. So I'm not going to worry about it. Just thought it was a little much.
    BTW Stephanie you've done a great job losing!! Good for you!!
  • I go at least once a day. I get sad if I don't, lol. Something about it feels really cleansing (I feel a difference on days that I do not but that is very rare anyway) so I am a bit envious of your 2 to 3 times a day, haha.
  • I go once or twice a day. The more fiber in your diet, the more you'll need to go. You're fine.
  • I try to go once a day. There's...less volume when I eat at a deficit vs eating at maintenance.
  • 3 times a day like clockwork.
  • Actually a lot of doctors will say you should have as many bowel movements a day as you have meals. That means your metabolism is clicking along at a good pace. But one BM a day is normal for many people (since the US diet often is low in fiber). You sound perfectly normal to me.
  • Boy am I jealous of all you ladies! If I go once every 2-3 days, I think I'm in heaven!!!

I know I have less volume while dieting but honestly? I do take a probiotic but I wish there was something easy to take, won't cause even more issues in the long run, and no "distress" if you know what I mean ...

I alway tease my DH - woman can pee when asked, even if they just did 2 minutes ago .. and men can poop on demand too!
  • I'm with you, Angie. My schedule is the same. Just think of all the time we save!
  • Quote: I'm with you, Angie. My schedule is the same. Just think of all the time we save!
    This is true!!! I think my husband averages over an hour a day in there! No wonder he doesn't get his housework done
  • I'm with you, Angie and Ruth! I've found that since I started eating more soy products, I've been needing to visit the restroom less. Maybe related, maybe not, but after 20+ years of horrible diarrhea (3+ times a day), I'm not complaining!
  • ^^you think soy has to do something with it?? i just changed my normal milk to soy milk and i've been going hardly every other day while before i went once a day if i ate oatmeal for breakfast. i guess i'll go back to my normal milk ..