Beck Diet For Life/Solution – February 2013 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

You're on Page 8 of 18
Go to
  • Quick check in here.
    Had my JC appointment and I'm under 200 there too. (I always consider my official weight to be first thing in the morning bare nekked) At home I was 197 so I survived my weekend off JC food. I am going to go to 4 days of JC food and 3 on my own so I'm going to have to tighten up my planning. We are getting hit with a HUGE tax bill this year. Got to be conservative Some of the food I really like and it's so darn easy.
    Beth- I hope I can be as successful on my weekend away as you are. Big credits to you.

I think I just had a lightbulb go on! Page 31 in the pink book "Just as the decision to eat can reduce tension, the decision NOT to eat can reduce tension". I am going to plan a few indulgences for my weekend away and eat very basically (exchanges) the majority of the weekend. The trip is NOT about the food. I'll feel so self righteous too. Heehee

Going to bed, I'll have personals tomorrow.
    Julia
  • Fat Tuesday - Mardi Gras
    Diet Coaches/Buddies – Exercise was threading myself along plowed sidewalks and in streets for 2.5 miles to get to a class and back - CREDIT moi. Walking in the rain isn't so romantic when there's packed snow underfoot making for uber slippery. But, it was neat to be able to go at all. Also moved my car to shovel the snow that had been blown underneath. So now I'm really done. Our planned evening event was cancelled, so we grabbed the chance to see the movie Quartet with Maggie Smith. Since I'm in love with Maggie Smith, my opinion is suspect, but it was a charming movie. Short with good music. Despite the high price of movies, when the story is brief, the movie should be brief - my thanks to Dustin Hoffman for doing that in his first directed movie.

Eating wandered in the afternoon - Ouch. Think I'll take the approach of Lent as an excuse to get my house back in order.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – That's a demonic Sabotaging Thought: when you're doing well you should be able to eat "whatever I want." Shuddering.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – 4.5 hours is a long trip. Love the image of Diogenes looking for an organic banana, LOL.

Beverlyjoy – Kudos for dishing out snacks to the kids "and didn't have a bite."

maryann - Kudos, indeed, "for doing the new and uncomfortable." [My leg is sufficiently restored that I don't think of it as a limitation anymore. Still gotta do my exercises to get it back to 100%.]

nationalparker – Neat to plan in advance to have one indulgence for Valentine's Day.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Congrats on the down scale reading after a trip to Chicago - with Chicago pizza even. Your breakfast story is sobering.

Julia (Julia150) – Ouch for the "HUGE tax bill" - next time I visit a National Park I'll think of you as a sponsor, LOL. Monster Kudos for internalizing the neat Beck thought, "Just as the decision to eat can reduce tension, the decision NOT to eat can reduce tension,"

Readers -
    Quote:
    chapter 3
    How Thin People Think

characteristic 5
    You Comfort Yourself With Food

On the other hand, when you're distressed or bored, you might immediately want to grab food. Eating can distract you from your negative feelings and soothe you. In fact, there are certain foods - chocolate, for example - that contains substances that release "feel good" chemicals in your brain.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 38.
  • Hi Beckfolks/coaches/friends - yesterday was a healthy day - I am grateful.

I had many credits (which I will mention first) - planned/measured/logged food, mindful of sodium/exercise/water, read arc/rc, always left a bite, tried to eat slower (breakast & dinner almost 20 minutes), no seconds, & checked in. Also, I have increased the reps on most of my exercises.

Now for the struggles (Dr. Beck says to remember all the things done right which often outnumber the struggles). I ate some extra in the evening: apple, rice cake, bite of potato. I was able to stop myself. Dietician suggested putting a chair in front of the fridge as a 'sign' the kitchen is closed. Also... I answered my sabatoging thoughts with No Choice and Stand Firm. Credit and grateful to be able to stop. Also, I struggled with licking the spoon, fingers, & tasting while preparing food. I will work on that today.

I've been writing more stories lately. It's so easy, however, to hop on the internet when using the laptop for work or writing. I must work on that.

billbe - credit for your LONG walk. Sounds like your injury is healing very very well. Oops on the extra food. I think it's a good idea use 'Lent' as a way to get on your plan again... they way you'd like. 'Switching it up' can be very helpful. It can renue the enthusiasm.

Julia - I kind of agree to keep your neked early morning weight as your 'official' weight. It just keeps it simpler. Of course, your JC person will take it, too - but, it's with clothing, food etc. YOU know what the 'real' number is. Tell her that number, member.

Somethings wrong with my computer. It's going crazy.I'll try to get back later.
  • Hi Coaches!

A work day and home life filled with extra chores w/o backup support from DH AND pup being with me, which was the emotional decision of my trip over the hill. DH has been gone about a month now and while I do understand why he'd rather be "there" right now I got quite disenchanted with living without the pup for so long...I always get to enjoy daily conversations w/DH. Result...our conversation last eve....he is feeling bad now about not being over here with me to be part of the support system (translation-not so fun w/o pup).

I've weighed this morning and have accomplished many other chores. I so appreciate everyone here. I will try to get back for personals after work....usually very tired. I am going to pull out my original crystal mardi gras beads today and will wear them to work.
  • Good morning, coaches and buddies! Yesterday was a so-so day, mostly on plan. I did the marketing for the week after work, but need to finish the meal plan. Credits for talking myself OUT of going to our local cajun place for a take-out meal that is my favorite and on their menu infrequently. I now am able to split it in half and enjoy for two smaller meals. BUT - I can save that idea and use it another day. Struggled with being tempted to snack on this and that - and didn't fully log everything on MyFitnessPal, which I need to this morning. Also credit for getting on the treadmill.

DH picked up our pooch from his folks, who were petsitting her with their dogs, so number one chore tonight is a bath for her.

We don't watch tv often, and I'd dvr'd the Downton Abbey on Sunday - now I'm itching to watch it - but the treadmill is in another room...so I have to make the time to just WATCH it. We try to make fairly good use of our evenings, even if it's DH practicing guitar and me playing with pets and puttering. I have a few projects lined up that I want to tackle and I want to learn mosaics and not sure how the best way to start is. Our local continuing education classes used to offer that, but not the past few semesters. I might call and see if it's being considered for the summer. If not, I'll jump in another way.

Scale shows a two-pound gain from the trip ... phooey. I certainly did eat to reflect that, though, I believe.

Bill - Thanks for the good words about Quartet - I'm anxious to see it and love a shorter movie. I much prefer black/white movies of the 40s/50s when they told a tight story in 90 mins or less

JuliaWhoIsSolidlyInOnederland - GREAT JOB here lately! Sounds like you're doing a good job planning for your weekend. Good luck and as Bill said, don't return with any more of you... (clearly do as I say he says and not as I did!!) ha ha My trip was wonderful; went to Charleston SC for a few days in the middle of the week, as well.

BeverlyJoy - I like the visual of the kitchen being closed. I want to create one for myself of the kitchen closed before a meal as well ... to not graze. (maybe a picture of a cow in a field, but a pretty one?) Hm. Thank you for the idea of the visual.

Lexiss -
    Your travels there always get me stressed with the snow and the mountains - I detest winter driving. My sister lives in Colorado Springs and was just in Breckenridge where the ski traffic nearly tripled their drive time. At least it's that and not pileups and wrecks that are slowing it down, I guess... Enjoy the pup! I think I just realized you're only FOUR POUNDS away from your goal - that's WONDERFUL!!

Lunch is at my desk at work today, so hope to get in and read more and do more personals. Take care, all!
  • My computer seems to have stopped 'jumping' around. Grateful.

Back to personals.

nationalparker - credit for not going to your favorite restaurant and changing your plan in an impromtu manner. Those two pounds. If your food was OK... it's probably other factors. Just a number Dr.Beck says. I will have to check out Downtown Abby. Everyone is loving that show.

lexxiss/debbie
    - I am always kind of amazed at all the traveling. It's hard being without the doggie for someone, for sure. Have you found any organic bananas?

bethfromdayton - credit for seeing those lab numbers go down and the doc noticing a weight loss - even though it's more than he thinks. You might be able to do some upper body exericises after your surgery - if the doctor permits it. (seated)

gardenerjoy - maintainence (I hear) is a challenge to, kind of, find out how to do it and finding a comfort zone. Credit for working on it.

maryann - credit for getting all the things you need to begin the Belly Fat PLan. It takes effort, often, to get all things ready. Yes, that number is just a number. Don't we need to tatoo this to our brains!

bootedkitty - credit for making those good choices.

Ibelieveinme - gosh... the new scale saying a different higher number than the old is hard to take. That happened to me, too. Either way... it will work out. Hop back on your plan and it will be fine. Thanks for mentioning reading the advantage cards. Sometimes I forget.

tazzy - my Lenton Roses aren't real roses... it's a nickname because it's a flower that generally blooms in February, even in the snow. The plant is Hellebores. Credit for working on those taxes!
  • Quick post. I have a new piece up on Huffington Post which effects my day in odd ways and I'm never quite sure when they're going to put it up until it's there -- so hard to plan around. I already had a full day planned! But, no complaints, this is a very good thing.

A Librarian's Tips for a Healthy Heart
  • Good Evening, Coaches.

Busy day at school then home to make Valentine treats for DS for school and try to make an official stew! I think I have made one other in my life. We'll see.

So far, new plan makes me feel very unhungry. One small chocolate at school and then a handful of DS sweets but Credit for an otherwise perfect day. I now eat a yogurt before any meal. Interesting, certainly filling. Lots of prep it seems in the morning but I can stick it out until it gets easier.

Tired and still have to help with music and homework. Good thing I can demand hugs for payment
  • Hi all!

I deviated from lunch and dinner today, but still stayed within parameters. I forgot my lunch today--first time it's happened in the 5 weeks I've been packing instead of buying at the canteen. Fortunately, I had a spare frozen meal in the freezer, so I ate that and bought an orange from the canteen to augment it. Tomorrow I'll bring in today's lunch--and another backup freezer meal.

When I grocery shopped yesterday, I planned sauteed onions and mushrooms with our steaks tonight--but somehow hadn't included it in the day's plan. I had it anyway. I planned for 4 oz of steak, but had 4.5 oz. I did limit myself to the half potato and the measured butter and sour cream I'd planned for.

We did take an extra walk tonight, so credit for that.

I've got tomorrow's eating all planned out and entered into MyFitnessPal. I find that it's easier to plan ahead if I just enter everything the day before instead of trying to prepare a separate written plan. Because of how MFP works, I have to enter quantities and be precise. I don't always add the food notes for how I varied, though--I need to get better at that.

Interestingly enough, I find it easier to "Enter tomorrow's food into MFP" than "Plan tomorrow's eating". They are the same thing--but one "feels" easier to me than the other.

I was thinking today about taking time for dieting. I am doing things now that I didn't make time for before--creating a weekly meal plan, shopping on a schedule, making lunch the night before, preparing my snack the day before, daily exercise. Credits!
  • Good morning everybody, wednesday...half of the week, as someone said it's a so and so week for me, having up and down in life is normal I guess. I stayed OP anyway, but if you are not "in the mood" and concentrated on what you do, you don't feel you are doing well, isn't it? At least it seems to me it's working like that this week.
    I have to focus on listening to my stomach when I eat, I'd like to "jump" and start flying alone, but maybe it's not the time yet.
    Ok, go back focusing on today and what I can do today to feel proud of myself and give myself credit! :-)
    Have a good day.
    Kitty.
  • Hi Coaches!

I made a phone call from work to find my absolute favorite in the world,SumoMandarins, were in at WhFoods. I drove 40miles RT after work to acquire 12 at a cost of $24...reminding me on the way home of the old phrase, "I'dwalk a mile for aCamel". BTW-there were plenty of organic bananas but since the Sumo season is 4-6 weeks I have only one focus now. credit for healthy obsessions! OP yesterday, with my last few bites of dinner given to the pup. I weighed already (so-so) and am getting my home-work done before taking my mom to her monthly eye appt. in Denver. Update-DH is contemplating taking "Greyhound" back over after only 48 hrs.w/o pup. Love me love my dog.

BillBlueEyes, wow! 2.5 mile walk post blizzard is great, especially with rain falling. I'm familiar with that scenario after all my years in coastal Alaska. ..nothing slicker than rain on snow/ice. Kudos for engaging the Lent inspired opportunity to "get my house back in order". BTW-I buy my smoothie powders throughAmazon...makes it easy to get that free shipping...I just stock up again. I just can't imagine paying to ship when I could get it for free...

Bootedkitty, credit for staying OP even though you were not in the mood. I agree, sometimes when I'm having a so so week I don't feel like I'm doing so well. I also find that feeling comes and goes which is why I appreciate the support of the group VS "flying alone".

Beth(FromDayton), great job having a spare frozen meal in the freezer AND a commitment to replace it. Credit for avoiding the canteen for 5 weeks now! Funny how it works-easier to enter tomorrows food into MFP. I call it finding "your groove".

MaryAnn, great that you are feeling "unhungry" with the new plan. Is the yogurt before each meal just to help with feeling full or is there a more scientific reason? You asked about my smoothie-sorry it took a bit to respond. My everyday ingredients: ginger root, beet, kale, apple, carrot, parsley, cucumber. I often add berries (blueberry/raspberry) and always have a scoop of amaranth/quinoa based protein powder and a greens powder. Mediocre on taste (at times) but super great for energy.

gardenerjoy, many kudos for the great articles you have been writing for H.Post. I had time last eve to read every one. I feel like I know someone famous now.

Beverlyjoy, I smiled when I read that your DH suggested you just bring the crockpot to the neighbors the other night. What a great idea and I'm glad it worked out well. I am reminded again, that it's really OK to bring something healthier and that other folks really don't mind.

nationalparker, I'm wondering if your sis takes the back road from Breck to Co.Springs. I live right off I-70 in both locations and the ski traffic on weekends is B-A-D. I'm a great winter driver, though, and don't mind the roads...just the traffic. Credit for recognizing you can have a certain meal "another day" when you've planned for it. I think it's a great Beck inspired strategy.

Julia, I love "the trip is NOT about the food". Credit for planning ahead.

IBelieveInMe2, I agree with your statement, "This lifestyle change stuff is hard and constant work.." It does seem to get easier when we practice our skills everyday, just as Dr. Beck suggests.

Tazzy, I'm so glad you continue checking in here despite your busy schedule. Re:Costco-I think it's funny, too, how everybody lines up for samples now that I don't participate. Credit for skills which result in "no interest".

BigChiefDavid, looking forward to MardiGras report. Credit for losing weight during "the season".
  • Wednesday - Ash Wednesday
    Diet Coaches/Buddies – In a lecture last night I learned that the nitrogen fixing bacteria, Rhizobia, that all farmers know clusters on the roots of beans where they add nitrogen to the soil, exist in the digestive tracks of ants that live up in the canopy. Just blows my mind. If you live in the top of a tree you're a vegetarian and need protein - so just make it from the air using Rhizobia bacteria. If people could learn that trick we could survive on Ramen noodles! Nature never ceases to astound me, whenever I can get info past my Latin-word-phobic brain. CREDIT moi for "Enrich Your Life."

Dinner was the doggie bags from a visit to Thai restaurant after the snow shoveling. Their 'small' meal easily makes two meals - we arrive with our own plastic containers to make the process easier. Sometimes the predictable is comforting.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Congrats on yet another Huffington Post publication. Enjoyed your wordplay around 'heart.'

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Gotto go get me some Sumo Mandarins on your recommendations. LOL at trying to picture the plastic container for their odd shape. [I pay the yearly price to be an Amazon Prime member for free shipping without the $25 minimum - use that all the time. This new group of stuff at Amazon is too inexpensive to ship free, unless you've already got an order.]

Beverlyjoy – Neat idea to put a chair in front of the fridge. I'd need one in front of the pantry as well, LOL. I googled for a picture of your Lenten Rose Hellebores - tough looking flower there.

maryann - Good luck on that "official stew" (pondering what that might mean).

nationalparker – Kudos for having the system of splitting your Cajun restaurant meal into two meals. I'm glad to hear that others do that regularly. I once offered to split a single meal with DW but she sneered - she wanted her doggie bag for the next day.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Yep, Kudos indeed for making time for dieting.

Kitty (Bootedkitty) – For me, when not "in the mood" I judge my results harshly. Thanks for pointing that out. Since our newspapers are quite full of the surprise announcement from the pope, I can only imagine the coverage by the Italian papers.

Readers -
    Quote:
    chapter 3
    How Thin People Think

characteristic 5
    You Comfort Yourself With Food

The problem, of course, is that you feel better only momentarily. What happens as soon as you're finished eating? You still have to deal with the problem that made you upset. And, on top of that, you feel bad that you strayed from your diet. You become self-critical, undermine your confidence, and feel even worse than you did at the start.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 38.
  • Good morning - I have a mission and need your help! I counted it up yesterday and have nine weeks until I have to work the special event for work ... and would like to really push myself through these nine weeks - to stay on my exercise (I seem to make better choices nutritionally and hope it'll help with toning), eat within my guidelines and hopefully see some decent progress. I would love to be able to fit into a few of my nicer clothes as I have to dress up much more than I do for a typical workday ... and run around an arena for 12 hours in heels each day. The stress I feel when thinking of this project is nearly palpable, I feel I will be the heaviest person there. I've worked this event over the years about five times and even when I was at 145, I felt oversized as I was still in 10s and 12s. I will do a response card that relates directly to this event - The momentary lift of eating something not on my plan/that really won't work into my plan will be followed by self-recrimination and will not get me to where I want to be in nine weeks. THANKS BILL - perfect timing for that nugget today.

Yesterday after work, I took a friend to get her car that was at the shop, and then on to home, arriving about an hour later than normal. The last thing I felt like doing was getting on the treadmill, but the sun was going to be setting soon and so walking alone (well, with a poodle/terrier mix that does NOT look threatening) on the trail was not an option. Regardless, I hopped on the treadmill and felt good when I was done - headed into the kitchen to prep dinner (mozz bruschetta turkey burgers/sans bun, carrots, vegetarian baked beans with onions yum)...
    Rooted around and found a John Denver cd and put that on high volume while cooking and danced with dog in the kitchen, singing Leaving on a Jet Plane at the top of my lungs - hitting one of the same notes he does every now and then. I dance, she leaps around and I worry she'll tear an ACL. Time alone is good for the soul now and then. (again, no judging on my music likes - haha!)

Lexxiss - WOW - on driving to get those SumoMandarins. I must look them up - I've not seen them in my markets or Trader Joe's. I squawked at paying $8 for 5 apples this week. But they were beauties. (And your line of being a great winter driver has me smiling - that's a line I can never utter - I HATE IT and am not good, having seen way too many wrecks and slideoffs that stress me beyond belief.)

BillBlueEyes - Good job right back at ya for splitting the meal in two servings from your Thai spot. Our cajun place uses styrofoam, so I try to bring my leftover container with me, as there's no place here that recycles styrofoam (does anyone know WHY there are so few places to do that - it's the easiest thing to recycle!) ... On another side note - there were boxes of donuts around this office yesterday for various "fat Tuesday" celebrations, including a German one!

BootedKitty - You got it right - I agree, when my week is blah, I feel I am doing less than great, even if I am doing well. Interesting to connect that. What challenges do you see coming up for the weekend - anything in particular?

BethFromDayton - I, too, am getting better with recording on MyFitnessPal - I want to get used to it and maybe start connecting with those who are in this forum, not wide open - is there a way to do that for those who are interested? Or is it just you're "open" or "closed"? Can you tell I don't facebook, etc.? The credits are rolling for you - great job!

Maryann - How was the stew? I, too, am intrigued by the "official" moniker - fill us in! Hope you were able to stave off any of the treats calling when prepping them last night.

GardenerJoy - Every time I type your name, I think of how I'm anxious to get to work in my gardens this spring! Are you looking forward to that as well? It seems so bleak up here, after seeing the azaleas and dogwood in bloom at home.

Julia150 - Safe travels for when you head out for your long weekend trip! I am going to work on eating slower, thanks for the note on that - I'm finding that I start eating when we sit down, and end up finishing before DH... and that bothers me. I have less on my plate than him, but don't want to speed through.

IBelieveInMe - Hope your evening was a good one and you're starting out the day strong! Anything coming up this weekend that you're going to be challenged by a bit? I like to hear your plans as you seem to work the Beck mindset very well. We have another birthday celebration for DH, this time with his family at our home (folks, daughter). He's picked the menu - easily workable within plan - and he suggested an ice cream cake (yes, in February). That is NO temptation for me, so a double bonus - I will have a sliver if any. I want to find a small cake, though, so we're not sending it home with his folks, who don't need it either. Temps are to be back in the 15-25 range, so outdoor activity might be curtailed.
  • Quick post again. Yesterday's marketing on social networks put me behind on some things but I'm persevering. Eating wasn't up to par yesterday, but I still had a loss on the scale this morning -- anxiety burns calories? Plan to get back on track today including dinner at my brother's where I know I can count on a healthy meal.
  • Taking the plunge
    Hi there.
    I'm assuming this is an ok place to "sign up"? I've been stalking now off and on for an embarassingly long time. In a nutshell, I've lost 66 pounds since last April through a combination of a specific workout program at my local health club, lots of water exercises, and eating healthy. I have 2 more months in "the plan" at the health club, where I'll continue with the exercise but just not the personal trainer. I am STUCK. I have bounced around with the same 5 pounds since mid-December. I thought I'd re-discovered my motivation last week FINALLY, but alas, yesterday I answered the call to my earlier sugar cravings, and the rest as they say, is history. ANYWAY, I've started reading Beck. Again. The newer book. Can this group be my "coaches"? I understand that for this to work, I need to be accountable daily. I really, really need something. I want to lose at least 30 more. So, since my nutshell is starting to expand, AND I need to get to school (Kindergarten Instructional Assistant), I'll add more later. Thank you in advance. Really. I feel a touch of hope, having just introduced myself...putting it in print, as it were