Beck Diet For Life/Solution – February 2013 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

You're on Page 10 of 18
Go to
  • Happy Valentine's Day!!!
    Hello Coaches/Buddies!

Well, I need to confess right up front that I indulged in Valentine's candy on a family road trip to and from Pittsburgh (from Ohio) today. We also stopped for lunch at a pizza place. OUCH x 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But, as I took my last bite of candy in the car, I thought of the analogy of throwing all of the fine china down or throwing myself down all of the steps or driving 5 more miles out of my way ~ and I STOPPED my binge!!! I will eat a very healthy and light dinner, review my Beck principles and response cards, and MOVE ON!!!

I weighed in this morning (forgot until after morning pills and breakfast) and I am only .2 down from 2 weeks ago if I disregard that "fluke" 197 weight on my old scale. It beats gaining, though! I plan on a better loss at next week's weigh-in. I need to remember (when tempted with unhealthy food and candy) how much I want to see that scale read 1xx for real!!! I can do this ~ IF and WHEN I put my MIND to it!!!

bethFromDayton: Way to go on RESISTING all of that unhealthy, fattening stuff today ~ and for feeling good about your choices!!! You should feel extremely proud of yourself! You are doing so awesome!

kindercoach: WELCOME to the group! So happy you finally posted! You have done so well to lose 66 pounds since last April!!! Best of luck to you as you join us and set out to lose at least 30 more! This group is wonderful!

to everyone else! I learn so much from each of your stories, struggles, and triumphs! Thank you for being here!
  • Hi again... checking in. Happy Valentine's day.

Yesterday went well. I am grateful. I am especially grateful that I did not overeat yesterday. Wednesday is my 'official' weigh day. In the past I might eat extra because my 'food/diet/warped/brain thinks I have a whole week to make up for it. But, it went fine. I weighed myself this morning and it said 213 for the third day in a row. That's fine.

I am getting excited about putting my stories down on paper. Many I have been telling for over 20 years.... but, I've never really written all that many down.

Gardenerjoy - I've never thought of the community college as a resource for learning more about publishing. Thanks for the idea. I have sent one children's stories out to many publishers. They probably receive hundreds a day. There are very few publishers that actually will look at a manuscript without using an agent. I've tried some of the little publishers too. I'll keep trying.

It's been a busy day. I'll get to personals tomorrow!

Happy VD.
  • Hi all,

I had a very successful day--both eating and exercise. I forgot my celery sticks for lunch so didn't eat them, but everything was completely as planned. We actually walked a bit more than we usually do, so that's a good thing.

The planning ahead is sort of funny--I find myself pulling out my phone as I'm preparing dinner to see exactly how much of each item I said I was going to have. I resisted the planning process so thoroughly and now it feels more like "no choice" and it's pretty easy for the weekdays. I expect it to be more of a challenge for the weekend.

I resisted all the sweets at work, and then, used that strength to stand firm on having something sweet this evening. There was no way I was giving in at home when I'd resisted all that temptation at work!

DH is wonderful--he brought me roses this evening (after FTD screwed up the delivery at work--FTD called me to apologize). Several other women got candy, but DH knew that flowers would be the way to my heart this year.

I did plan a sweet for tomorrow night--but it's in my already-entered-into-MFP day.

I have an upcoming weekend long party in March that a friend and I do all the food for. I do mean all the food--5 meals plus constant snacks. I've got to start cooking and baking for it, so I've decided to start this weekend with something easy to resist. I'm making 20 lbs of taco meat on Saturday--but we had taco meat for dinner tonight, and even if I decide I want taco meat, I can keep some out and plan taco salad for Sunday or Monday dinner. That'll be an easy start to preparation before I tackle baked goods.

I'm glad tomorrow's Friday!
  • Well, my 3rd entry is only happening b/c I committed to posting. I feel hypocritical b/c today I didn't even TRY to avoid all the Valentine candy, even looked for it.

BillBlueEyes, most interesting what you posted about the "reset" of the brain, and the sugar-drug. The health club I attend is currently running a support group, which met tonight. Our reading/talk had to do with exactly that, even quoting some study determining that sugar is MORE addictive than cocaine. I believe it.

I did go to my aqua zumba class this morning, so that's a credit, correct?
    Tomorrow morning I plan to go to another aqua exercise class.

I'm not sure how I found the original Beck book...I am thinking I just came across it one day in a bookstore. I've always been intrigued by cognitive therapy, and I know the first time I picked up the book, I told myself that maybe THIS was the answer. Alas, the ball is completely in my court at the moment. Just really, really struggling.

I've read 3fatchicks off and on for years. I'm thinking I must've been specifically looking for a group dedicated to the Beck Diet Solution. I've looked at many a forum, and this one is by FAR the most active and dedicated. It's very heartening to read all your encouraging comments to each other, and to see myself in some of your posts.

So, tomorrow is a new day. Is it ok to state a specific goal to the group with a plan to report back tomorrow? I was thinking, NO SUGAR...again...hope springs eternal. Thank you all again for the most warm welcome. It touches me.
  • Friday
    Diet Coaches/Buddies – Lots of walking, CREDIT moi. Sun was out; it was warm enough to wear light gloves instead of bulky mittens; sidewalks were clear. The aftermath of our snowmageddon is strikingly mild.

Food was good, CREDIT moi, and snacks were less awful - I improved. Specifically I ignored an opportunity for factory cookies when offered. DWs valentine to me was a gorgeous Granny Smith Apple - one of my ten most favorite apples - that became my evening snack. She liked the card and poem that I gave her. Valentine's Day successfully done. Someday I'll live on a planet where holidays aren't potential sinkholes for the males, LOL.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Now I'm already getting excited about your four days in Paris. Beware the baguettes. And wine. And outdoor cafe's. And cheese. Just relax and enjoy yourself, LOL.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Yep, I know about "many times I just choose not to" - we can both work on that.

Beverlyjoy – Thanks for the Valentine's candy support. Speaking of stories, that stinky Carnival Cruise ship had a couple on board who had planned a dream shipboard wedding and honeymoon. Got married by the captain and then the troubles began. Perhaps you can invite them into your 'Wedding from H*ll' club, LOL.

maryann - LOL at "Why would I take his candy?" I never thought of that when I was stealing my kids' candy.

nationalparker – Super Valentine's gifts! Congrats for evolving your sense of 'romantic.' It might just be worth taking those Keene's back to the store to revisit the fit, even if you come home with the same pair. They have a zillion miles of walking in them that's worth the effort to be sure that you love them.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Zowie - that's a monster list of junk food to face in one morning. Kudos for standing them down and another Kudos for being glad. Yay for choosing a DH who's astute enough to give you roses instead of candy.

IBelieveInMe2 – The one that keeps me laughing is "driving 5 more miles out of my way." Kudos for stopping.

DoneLeftOnAJetPlaneJulia (Julia150) – Waving toward warm, sunny Phoenix. There are no contentious staff meetings there.

kindercoach – I can believe it that sugar is more addictive than cocaine. Neat that you just happened upon the Beck book and came to it with a positive appreciation for Cognitive Therapy. Yep, I think it's a great idea to state a goal and report back. We'll be looking for it.

Readers -
    Quote:
    chapter 3
    How Thin People Think

characteristic 6
    You Feel Helpless and Hopeless When You Gain Weight

When thin people gain weight, they don't usually see it as a catastrophe. They figure that they'll simple watch what they eat for the next few days or increase their exercise. They have confidence that the scale will go back down.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 38.
  • Happy Finally Friday! The evening was a good one. Came home to a surprise of two dozen red roses and a wonderful card, despite our early V-Eve gift opening. All on program, except that we didn't get on the trail walk. I think deep down, when it was 7:30 and he said let's go now before dinner and I said, I'm too hungry to go now and then eat dinner at 9:30 - I hate eating that late (unless in Italy, then all rules fly out my window). I thought I'd get on the treadmill and then just tossed that idea out when we started a movie. I plan to be active today and on the weekend, though, so a day off is okay.

Major credits abound here - KUDOS to IBelieveInMe, BethFromDayton, Maryann - all the candy that you faced down. Good job! Credits to Kindercoach for hitting the aquazumba (sounds fun!) in the morning to get your metabolism rolling. Way to go! Glad you posted. I looked around our office to see what was out there. Luckily I didn't find something like donut holes. Small = innocent, right? Ack!

BillBlueEyes - Your line about holidays being potential sinkholes has me smiling. The card aisle in my market was mobbed with men yesterday. I agree on the hikers - I have a pair of the Keen hiking boots and those have been my go-to boots that have taken me so many places, so I'm hoping these will be another good pair. My Merrell's that were a good deal still have to be broken in a little more, or I need much, much longer laces for them. So that's a spring project. Good for 1-2 miles, no more, which won't get me far from home!
    -- The confidence that the scale will go down has been missing in my life since it started going up. I need that back. Good reminder.

GardnerJoy - Oh, the trip sounds heavenly! I'm so looking forward to hearing about your experience (and the savoring of the baguettes at cafes) . I want to go to Normandy, to the WWII cemeteries, etc. I feel some odd connection with making a journey there. So I'd love to hear that Paris is a "must-do" along with that as DH would like to include that. Of course, this is "down the line" not nice and close like yours!!

JuliaWhoMightBeStandingOnACornerInPhoenixArizona - Have a great time out there and soak up some sun's rays (Vitamin D, I mean! Yeah, that's what I mean) for me! I actually stopped in Winslow, just to stand there and sing the right song line as a joke when I was in my early 20s. Getting somewhere at a certain time must not have been a priority to me then.

Lexxiss - How are your weekend plans shaping up? Still have the pup or take pity on DH and "loaning" him back?

I'm hoping to pop in a few times as weekends are the time I tend to stray foodwise more often.
  • Hi Coaches!

I voiced this into my iphone on the way home from Denver yesterday:

"Today was a good Beck day despite being unplanned and very spontaneous. I went to dim sum w/DD and asked for a box near the end of the meal. I packed up stuff we would probably have kept nibbling on and gave it to her. credit. I successfully shopped WhFoods w/o buying any of the multitudes of sugary treats. I knew that if I bought something I would eat it. Great Beck reality check. On the trip home I enjoyed a sumo and said NO CHOICE to the bread which I had in my bag.
    I'm recognizing that the longer I practice my Beck skills the better my decision process is becoming. I really do want to think more like a thin person."

I did have an unnecessary snack late in the evening when I should have just gone to bed...but the good news is I continue to work on it. credit.

I weighed this morning and am running out of time...another trip to Denver...both WhFoods and Costco included. Will the Valentines stuff be on sale? Probably. I will resist.

BBE, my DH would love to live on a holiday-less planet. I have to say with his injury they are all the more difficult. Credit for honoring your DH in the way you know she likes. Kudos.

nationalparker, no rescue for DH this weekend. I work tomorrow, Mon and Tues. Rescue scheduled for Wednesday.
  • Sorry to pop in so quickly. Just realized this: I was asked to step in to work on a project that needs complete attention to detail and the repercussions of one error are valid. I do these every few months and it's nothing I cannot do, however, today is the start of a crunch time with this, so within a half hour of starting, I had turned from my computer, reached for my snack repeatedly. No hunger. Just the calming of crunching dry cereal expected. Must be aware of this today thru next week. Buy gum.

Second note is that I'm just finishing up the book, Unbroken, by Laura Hillenbrand, an amazing story of WWII survival including in a Japanese POW camp (I think I’ve mentioned here before as it’s been very moving). Among all of the horrid details of their life there, this recounting has stuck with me - when the war was over, a U.S. B-29 bomber dropped a note saying they’d return the next day with provisions for the POWs, along with the pilot’s chocolate bar with a bite taken out of it... the captain of the POWs cut it into 700 servings - one for every POW to lick his finger and dab it into the choc shaving for a taste of freedom. Food for thought.
  • Hi coaches... checking in. Another mostly good day yesterday. So grateful.

An extra snack in the evening, however. For Valentine's Day we got Chinese Takeout. I opted for some Won Ton soup, only. It was hard to figure out the amounts and sodium. (that was high I know). It left me in a quandry about counting everything. I was stressed because DH got me a candy bar for Valentine's Day. What is that all about??? I just stuck it in the freezer. It may get planned for later. I was feeling a little 'frantic' with it around. I had to remind myself of many things: it's not planned, eating it isn't an emergency, and I am trying to stay within a reflux food plan. (no coffee, no chocolate, no tomotoes, no citrus, no onion and garlic. Ack!!!) I've got to give it a chance. My chronic heatburn is not good. The candy bar may go into the trash.

Yesterday's credits include: logging my food and sodium, exercises, lots of water, meditation, weighed in the morning, and took three deep breaths before each meal.

The neighborhood cuties came over after school to tell me about their VD parties. Wow... a huge sugar high was evident. They were wound up. Sounded like a fun afternoon for them. I did have a small goodie for them. It was good to get the goodies out of the house.

nationalparker: I can so relate to being nervous or in a crunch and automatically think of food. It helps when you are aware. That's quite a story, the POW chocolate tale. It puts things into a different perspective. I also noticed that the grocery was jammed with men getting cards and goodies. The Valentine area was wiped out. Amazing.

billbe - I love that you got a Granny Smith apple and your holiday sinkhole thoughts. I laugh way out loud at the thought of a club for folks who's weddding's are ruined. My nightmare was over in a few days... their's however, was so awful - I can't imagine. Poor folks. Nightmare is right.

lexxiss/debbie
    : you said: I'm recognizing that the longer I practice my Beck skills the better my decision process is becoming. I really do want to think more like a thin person." That's wonderful. I'd like to be there some day, too. Yes... hang in there... yes, the candy is on sale.

kindercoach - posting when you are struggling is just as important as posting when you're not struggling. Glad you did post. Credit for you zumba aqua class and planning for more. Yes.. sugar is evil. LOL I try to avoid it when possible.

bethfromdayton : many credits. I so good that you are getting into the planning process. Credit for NOT eating the sweets at work. Every time you resist.. it helps you for another time. Carry on.

Ibelieveinme - Major credit for stopping the binge. Awesome. Carry on.

Hope you are all having a great day.
  • I could use some help from my coaches on a particular problem. My husband and I both work from home. Twice a week, I get the house to myself for a couple of hours. What I want and plan to do with that time is watch PBS costume dramas from Tivo and handle mundane paperwork. Productive but low-key relaxing and fun. It's worked just often enough in recent weeks to make me think that it could be an excellent addition to my routine. But, most of the time it's turning into an eating fest. Aside from that being terrible Beck practice, it's a big waste of time that I really do want for another purpose. I've been trying to get this to work for several weeks and not making much progress. The TV is too close to the magnetic force field of the kitchen. Any ideas?

Exercise: +30 580/1300 minutes for February

BillBlueEyes: LOL at all the food items to beware of in Paris. I swear every person I meet who's been to Paris says "You've got to eat...." I'm planning for us to walk all day so we can account for some of those calories.
  • Good evening, Coaches.

Came up to our cabin in Lake Tahoe. beautifully sunny -- a death blow to any skiing this weekend. I tried to find one of my usual walking paths which didn't have too much snow. Credit nice walk down the Truckee River. I came back to the cabin, took a bath and preceded to fall asleep on the floor for an hour and a half. Obviously, I didn't realize how tired I was. Credit for son's candy remaining safe. Credit for throwing two of the three sweetheart candy boxes my mom sent us down the drain. Credit for logging in food and waiting for a nice, baked sweet potato to finish off food for the day.

Gardenerjoy: I wish I had an answer for you. I am in a similar fix at my work desk. I like my job but I can't stop chocolate foraging. One thing kind of helping is putting my advantage cards into my iPhone timed to go off at different intervals so I can remember my Beck skills.
    Beverleyoy:I started my writing "career" at college extension courses. There are also lots and lots of conferences which will give you ideas. Children book authors are a very active group.

Thankfully, weight was at ticker this morning. A triumph post holiday.
  • Here I am, happily reporting that I left sugar alone today. I have also eaten very healthy, and am currently making our usual weekend pizza. I make it with a thin crust, WW flour, lots of peppers/onions, minimal cheese, so I can eat ALOT of it.

Tomorrow my sister comes to visit. She has always been uber-supportive of my weight loss efforts. She was also born with most of the shopping genes God handed out . I am in need of some assistance in acquiring more fitting attire, pun intended, so that'll be fun.

'til tomorrow -
  • Saturday
    Diet Coaches/Buddies – Zipper update: The patches I'm eyeing on Amazon are "Not recommended for use on nylon, or rayon." My jacket's outer layer is nylon. Back to square one. Tents are made of nylon and outdoor stores such as EMS or REI sell tent patching kits. That's the next thing to try. The local outdoor stores have sales right now on winter base layers that I need, so might just trot me down to investigate both.

Eating was 100%, CREDIT moi - a much needed reversion to my path. Even better, when I conjured a trip to both Whole Foods and Trader Joe's, I planned in advance to have NO FREE SAMPLES. With that in mind, I did the obvious: I walked directly to the items I wanted to buy and then to check-out. There's no need to wander past the gates of h*ll to see if I was interested. Extra CREDIT moi for avoiding FREE. My goal was to buy a Sumo Mandarin; I snagged four; One became my evening snack. Absolutely Yummy.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Good luck facing "the magnetic force field of the kitchen" when you're in a relaxed mood. Best thought I have is to plan an acceptable nibbling food - baby carrots would work for me. It's not calorie free, but I don't feel bad afterwards.

My library's New Books section had Salvage and Demolition by Tim Powers. Only 21,000 words - a "novella." That polished kind of writing like your blogs or The New Yorker - I relished the couple of hours it took to read. Thinking about it overnight, all the pieces were tightly knit like a perfect scarf. Fit my definition of acceptable science fiction - only one unreal event. Special Limited Edition: $60. The book is beautiful and a joy to hold. Not particularly recommending another item for your list, just wanted to share how much joy I found in one neat book.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Kudos for dim sum with grace. I love stories of eating all the foods that lure us - in appropriate quantities. Thanks for the Sumo Mandarin tip. I've had them before but forget how good they are. FWIW, they were 3 times more expensive at Whole Foods than Trader Joe's - that's a bunch.

Beverlyjoy – Yay for "neighborhood cuties" who walk away with your goodies - a symbiotic relationship of the best sort.

maryann - Tossing candy while waiting for a baked sweet potato is one very good day.

nationalparker – Congrats for choosing a DH who appears with unexpected roses on Valentine's Day. Kudos for being aware that you can use strategies to counter the eating that accompanies stress. Thanks for the WWII POW vignette about 700 servings from a chocolate bar.

kindercoach – Big Kudos for setting a goal of no sugar, posting it, doing it, and posting the result. Yay for a sister with shopping genes - wish I had one of those.

Readers -
    Quote:
    chapter 3
    How Thin People Think

characteristic 6
    You Feel Helpless and Hopeless When You Gain Weight

. . .You're probably different, though. What goes through your mind when you see on the scale a higher number than you'd expected? You probably have such thoughts as, I can't believe it! This is terrible! I'll never lose weight!

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pgs 38-39.
  • Hi Coaches!

I have my Sumo packed and am ready for work. 90% op yesterday including a fantastic lunch at WhFoods. My indisgression was trying the Alaska wild cod at Arbys(no sauce, no lettuce fed the bun to the eager pup). Fish seemed pretty real and now I'm over it. credit. Basketball/tv event tonight so I've written my plan and set it beside the fridge. When I get home I'll make my tray and head upstairs.credit

BBE, we don't have a TJ's yet. I did $2.99/lb at WF. Still worth it in my book...one beautiful fruit is still cheaper than a starbucks. Kudos for 100%OP day!

kindercoach, great job avoiding the sugar. I didn't realize until I was off it how much I was connected to it. I feel so much better without it.

gardenerjoy, I second BBE's idea of acceptable snacks. I don't know what time of day you have on your own. I've been solo here for weeks now. Even though I'm separated from the kitchen by a great distance I found myself going up and down the stairs in the evening. I started making myself a "tray". It has my dinner, salad, yogurt, piece of fruit and a beverage. I carry the tray to the TV room and thats it. It took my planning ahead but when the tray was done I was done and it seems to work. I find that if I CHOOSE to I can have a mindful meal in the tv room. Late lunch?
  • Thanks for the suggestions, everyone, for solving my problem where relaxed time in front of the TV morphs into overeating behavior. Mulling things over. I have until Tuesday before I face this situation again. Reading my advantages cards, as maryann suggested, just before DH leaves the house would help. Finding an acceptable nibbling food like BillBlueEyes' baby carrots would help. Copying Lexxiss's behavior of building a "tray" of planned food is brilliant. Or, I could think of it as packing a sack lunch or a picnic. Once I've assembled the planned food, the kitchen can be closed until DH gets home.

Exercise: +55 635/1300 minutes for February

BillBlueEyes: Salvage and Demoliton does sound like a wonderful book to behold -- the cover is gorgeous.