Beck Diet For Life/Solution – January 2013 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

You're on Page 8 of 24
Go to
  • Hi... checking in. Yesterday was mostly good. I did eat extra last night... kind of a stress thing. My stomach was upset and I ate soda crackers... one lead to more and then other foods, too. I wasn't willing to do what needed to be done to stop. *Sigh* Dr. Beck always says to think about all the many good choices you've made during the day... not just when you went off plan. Of course, that's true. I made many good choices all day long - I'll give myself credit for that.

I got up today and weighed myself and moved forward in my day and putting some of my Beckism's into it.

Today I spent 2+ hours on the phone with the business office of the hospital where I had my gall bladder surgery last year. I was going over things and found an error that they made. They overbilled me and I didn't catch it until their new system of billing came out with more info on it. We are sending each other our 'paperwork' and then we'll compare our thoughts on it. I was all exasperating.

My mom has told me many times that it's the worst business office she's ever dealt with. She has had many of these l-o-n-g phone conversations with them too in regards to errors. I totally agree with her now. Moral of this story... don't just believe the bills from tests, etc that come in the mail. Check carefully. Computers are only as 'smart' as the people who put in the information.

I hope you are all having a great day and planning for a good weekend, too.
  • Hi Coaches!

Welcome back to Ann(NewLifestyle) with attached!

Me, posted this morning, which wouldn't take due to "it seems" momentary site distress.. Oh, well. Back again tomorrow Same boring report...weighed and have a food plan. Yesterday, OP. grateful for that.
  • Hello Everyone,

Well, I think mentally I'm ready to get back on track here. Fall is always difficult for me with how busy my job gets but I cannot let that be an excuse either. Allowing it to be an excuse also allowed me to think it's just 1 pound more it's okay, while that added up to about 10 - 14 more than the same time last year and that's when it became not okay. So I will reset my ticker to reflect what the reality really is. I was contemplating doing WW online as I kept seeing commercials for it (funny how the universe sends things out to you) and when I got on the scale last Sunday I thought "this has to stop". A pound month cummulatively really starts to add up. And the number on Sunday was 179 and I refuse to see 180 again. So I went straight to the computer and signed up at that moment. There was a really good deal for 6 months so I did that one. I don't need to stand in front of someone to get their approval or disapproval of how my week might have been. I just need the structure back in my life and so far I really like the online program.

This week has had a couple of challenges, yesterday was DH's birthday and he took a couple of days off. He wanted his homemade lasagna for his birthday dinner so he spent yesterday doing that. He also wanted a black forest cake that was not from a grocery store bakery so I had to figure that out. I figured out the points for dinner and dessert and stayed within my limits. Credit for that. Tonight I'm meeting friends for dinner before going to a concert and the restaurant that's closest to the concert (Chili's) is not WW friendly at all. I found a website with the points values for their food and they have one burger that is 60 points. When a person only gets 26 for the day and 49 extra for the week it really wipes them out quickly. Seeing a burger for 2300 calories was almost sickening! I found 5 choices of meals that I can decide from and noted them in my smart phone, no excuses for not sticking to it.

I've also made a very concerted effort to get back to the gym. I've been more times in this last week than the whole month of December. I've started carrying my stuff with me in the car and I have DH drop me off on the way home from work. We determine a time for him to come back and get me later. The last time I was there I was really tired and didn't want to do anymore cardio but I had at least 25 minutes before he was to return so I just kept on pedalling. Credit! If I had access to the car at that time I would have been on my way home so I think this is a solid plan to use.

Our puppies are growing more everyday and are such fun to have around. Dexter is now about 70 pounds and he's a pretty laid back dog. Masuka, who we've nicknamed Suka, is about 40 pounds now and he's a curious little fella. They wrestle and play continually and fall asleep beside each other at night. Good buddies they are. We got about 6 inches of snow over the last couple of days and when I took the 2 of them for a walk last night they spent a lot of time with their heads burrowed into the snow and just plowed along. It's a good thing they are both black or I would have lost them!

Hope everyone is doing well. I'll try to get caught up on personals. For now I'm trying to get back on track with checking the board every day. Looking forward to sharing your successes with you.
  • Hello Coaches/Buddies! I have completed Days 1 and 2 very thoroughly in the Beck (pink) book, and have peeked ahead and already forced myself to sit down for my meals (Day 3). I have spent a lot of time investigating diet plans and I chose:
    #1 plan: DietWatch.com ("seeing yourself succeed") ~ They offer 4 meal plans and I am going with the "No Restrictions" plan to start (meaning no food restrictions). If this one isn't doable, I will try their Low(er) Carb plan.
    #2/Back-up plan: Beck Diet for Life (green book)
    #3 Back-up (just want to be extra prepared ): calorie counting and portion control, using My Fitness Pal.

I am trying hard to adhere to Beck's advice not to begin a plan until after 2 weeks of preparation. I am so anxious to jump right in and get started on this new way of life!

I have been brainstorming and searching the internet for weight loss resources, and today I made a list of 17 tools/resources that I have at my disposal to use with ANY diet plan. I was thinking that maybe I had information overload, but laying them out on paper stopped my mind from spinning with information, and now I can put all of the info on the backburner and refer to it when I am struggling.

Beverlyjoy: Thank you for sharing your experiences and insights about planning, weighing, and measuring. Although it scares me for some reason, I now realize the benefit of planning and understand that it will be critical for my success long-term. Much credit to you for making your day a healthy and productive one!

maryann: Hello! Nice to meet you! Good for you for NOT giving in to the all-or-nothing thinking when you had a slip on the refined sugar and for NOT eating the ice cream in the cafeteria! Recognizing and avoiding all-or-nothing thinking is a constant battle for me, so I really applaud you for stopping it dead in its tracks.

bethFromDayton: "Day 4 on plan".......... WOOHOO!!!!! Major CREDIT to you for donating all 6 boxes of Girl Scout cookies!!! I would have been soooooo tempted to at least keep one. Thank you for the reinforcement on the importance of planning. Journaling has helped me so much with emotional issues. It was a lifeline at one point in my life and remains a very valuable tool for me. I gain so many insights while journaling.

gardenerjoy: I hope you hit your trifecta of OP eating, exercising, and writing! Good luck!

BillBlueEyes: Good for you for eating OP and making it a full effort exercise day! I am tempted to be jealous, but instead I will use it for motivation and inspiration on my own journey! I can do it, too!!!

nationalparker: It sounds to me like you ARE working your resistance muscle well and staying strong-willed in regard to that last cookie! I can just sense the temptation that you must have felt. I hope someone else got the extra calories and not you! That is a good tip about having extra measuring cups to keep with cereal and other food to make measuring easy and more convenient. I think I am going to need to bite the bullet and buy a food scale, too. I am just afraid that I won't follow through and use it, because it sounds so tedious to me.

Lexxiss: Sorry that your post wouldn't take. That is so frustrating! But it sounds like you are doing well, so that is the main thing.

Tazzy: Good luck with WW online! That is great that you signed up and refuse to let your weight go back up to 180 again. I also considered WW. I know I would benefit emotionally from the meetings, but I don't like answering to someone either. That got really old for me during my Jenny Craig days, and I became somewhat rebellious, which of course was self-destructive. It is good that you recognize that you need the structure back in your life. Huge credit for planning ahead on the Chili's meal. Finally........ PUPPIES!!! Please tell me all about your puppies! I absolutely love dogs!!! We had 3, but just had to put our Golden Retriever down last Saturday. I am just treasuring every minute with the other 2 for now, but we are quickly getting "puppy fever" again.

Newlifestyle: Hopefully you saw the post I wrote to you earlier today. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Can't wait to move on to Day 3 (and maybe 4) tomorrow! I am ON MY WAY!!!
  • Hello coaches and buddies!

Day 5--OP <enough>--with a few adjustments. Due to the extra hour (beyond schedule) I spent at the nail salon (a serious vanity for me), I didn't have time to make our planned dinner before leaving to take my daughter somewhere. So, I heated up and ate (too fast) a frozen Lean Cuisine meal (known intake, that way). We stopped at Wendy's for her on the way to where we were taking her. I admit that her burger smelled good :-), but my response was "I really feel like having a burger. I'll plan that for next week." Since the quick frozen meal didn't get me to where I need to be calorie wise, I had a bowl of Cheerios with raisins when we got home--after DH and I went for our walk. The frozen meal and cheerios weren't quite what I'd planned, but they were totally within my overall calorie plan, so I'm still counting it as a win. YAY to me!

Several books came today, and I started going through the pink one. Since I've already started my diet, I know I'm rushing ahead a bit, but I feel okay about that. I created my Advantages Response Card and one for eating while sitting down. I also spent time figuring out how to format the cards--pick the fonts, fix the margins, print on index cards from my printer. This will make me happy when reading them :-). I also saved them on Dropbox, so I'll be able to get to them from my phone or other computer at any time.

I did find that I wasn't having that many of the sabotaging "What are you thinking" thoughts she describes. I'm willing to follow steps that I might not immediately understand how they'll help me--experience tells me that cognitive approaches work for me.

Primary Advantage: "My blood sugar and cholesterol will be in a healthy range instead of being a ticking time bomb."

gardenerjoy: YAY for the eating--and reading your cards. Thinking good trifecta thoughts at you.

BillBlueEyes: YAY for eating on plan! It sounds as if you're getting better able to exercise the way you want to--PT is helpful if painful. I love your reward for yourself.

nationalparker: I read about you looking at your cookie this morning and didn't think the cookie made you weak-willed at all--exactly the opposite. You looked at it, considered it, and used your resistance muscle. YAY for you.

Beverlyjoy: And you can give yourself credit for giving yourself credit and focusing on all the decisions and actions that were on plan.

Tazzy: Weight Watchers and the gym in one week--that's a lot. Credit for figuring out what you can eat at Chili's.

IBelieveInMe2: Isn't the internet great? (I admit I'm moving faster in getting started in the pink book)

Have a great OP weekend everyone.
  • Ann (Newlifestyle) - Sending supportive thoughts as you process the loss of your brother. I was fortunate to find a bereavement support group to help me after we lost my older sister a few years ago. Talking to others in the same situation helped me with my own grief. I wish you well.
  • Saturday
    Diet Coaches/Buddies – Dinner was much later than normal so I gave myself an extra snack. That's OKish since I had skipped my morning snack. But it was larger than normal, Ouch. I'm happy eating late when I've planned for it, but I was ready to eat while the house smelled for hours of Indonesian lamb stew made using hand ground spices. It was yummy well worth the wait. I'm already looking forward to the leftovers. So, mostly on eating plan, CREDIT moi.

Exercise was mixed. I did some, including the elliptical, CREDIT moi, but not all that I had planned, Ouch. When life got busy I went with it and found the day over before everything was done. Need to remind myself that being bored with my physical therapy exercises is not a good reason to slack off.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Now that's some good boring: "weighed ... food plan ... OP ... grateful." Here's a boring Kudos.

Beverlyjoy – This medical billing business really is "exasperating." DW just wrestled with a local hospital that hadn't entered her new insurance information since there was already information in their computer. Naturally, they then denied the X-ray since the insurance was expired. Kudos for giving yourself credit for "I made many good choices all day long."

Tazzy - Your little Dexter is so big at 70 pounds - that's a lotta dog. Kudos for finding the incentive to get back on WW. Love the story of having to keep peddling since your ride wouldn't be back for 25 minutes.

Ann (Newlifestyle) - Kudos for recognizing that baby steps are the way to get back on track. I agree with IBelieveInMe2 that posting here is a huge step. Keep the faith, one step at a time.

nationalparker – Kudos for "I have NO NEED for that" at the office cookie. [Love the notion of "oh well" on a note in the pocket of the smaller jeans.]

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Terrific response to the smell of a Wendy's burger, "I really feel like having a burger. I'll plan that for next week." I so like knowing that I can have anything I want - if I just plan it. Wendy's can always make another. Neat Advantage to avoid " a ticking time bomb."

IBelieveInMe2 – Neat that you've got your eating plans lined up (with a spare even). Kudos for working the strategy to eat sitting down; those strategies in the beginning of the book are so important - especially since they seem so trivial.

Readers -
    Quote:
    chapter 2
    What Really Makes You Eat

From Trigger to Eating

The Beck Diet Solution teaches you how to effectively respond to the sabotaging thoughts that lead to inappropriate eating. It's a skill you'll need not only to lose weight, but also to keep excess weight off permanently. If you've never been taught this skill, it's no wonder you've either had trouble losing weight or always regained it in the past. You'll use this skill into the future, whenever you have sabotaging thoughts, as Emma's story illustrates below.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 31.
  • foggy
    Coaches

I just can't settle into anything these days I make a plan and the plan is ka-put by the end of the day. I am STILL super-resistant to choosing anything and sticking to anything, and, predictably, this leads to nothing--no tangible results. Actaully, that's wrong. I do get results I get this:
    -continued confusion
    -doubt, especially self-doubt
    -anger
    -feelings of hopelessness, powerlessness, despair at times
    -defiance
    -fear

I am sure there are more but, really, isn't this enough?

Tme to get back o doing *something* *anything* consistently. I seem to just be mad at the world. Ok. I'm mad at the world.
    So?
    I can be mad at the world and still plan my food right?
    Not sure, but I'm going to say YES to that and move forward today.

Thanks for being here.
  • Hi Beckfolks - yesterday was 100% on plan. I am really grateful for that. I did minimal Beck things, however. But, I did plan/measure/log food, exercise, water, weighed, no seconds and left a bite. Credit. One of my big credits is when two of my cutiepie neighbor little sisters came over with cookies and asked if I wanted one. I smiled and said 'no thank you'. YAY It's nice to have a place to come and say how proud I am of this. Many folks couldn't understand.

In that light, yesterday I was thinking about using Beck skills - I remembered the very first time I went to a potluck dinner and took only ONE plateful. How I thoughtfully decided what would be on my plate. How much I really wanted to go back for seconds. I remember thinking that no one knew that it was a milestone thing for me. I noticed how some others only took one plate full too. It was such an important day for me because I learned that I could do it and had the tools to make it through. Enough of going down memory lane.

DH and I have been thinking of going out to do 'something'. Don't know what, yet.

onebyone - I so understand how you are feeling. Maybe switching it up can give you a fresh start. Sometimes, for me, it's doing a new food plan. I am sorry you are mad at the world. If the food part can't come together now... maybe you could do some of the other things eat seated only, slow mindful eating, fork down between bites, etc. Would starting the Beck book all over help? Might doing a different Beck book give you a fresh start? I hope you get out of your mad at the world time soon. PS - sometimes when I am feeling down, frustrated or mad it is helpful for me to write those feelings down. I've been known to write furiously as I express my anger or frustration, etc. It doesn't matter if you can read it - it's just the process of putting it down that can be helpful.

billbe - credit for moving your snack and not having it cause any complications in your food. Your lamb strew sounds devine. (lamb is one of my favorites.) Exercises... ugh - I have a response card that says 'just do it.' (I hate that LOL) Yes, good to give yourself credit for doing part of it, for sure!

beth from dayton - credit for 'making it work' within your plan when things got changed around. Glad you got the books and are moving forward! I too have an advantage card for better bloodwork.

ibelieveinme - credit for moving forward with so many of the important 'groundwork' tasks in finding sanity around food. I can't tell you how much it helps to really eat seated only helps me. I know it will help you. I still find it a challange. Give yourself a pat on the back everytime you do it , too! Glad you got your food plans figured out.

Tazzy - I was so glad to see your post! "Every journey begins with only one step." You've taken many steps already! Life happens... most of us have had difficult times in life and food. The important thing is that you are back and trying. I often tell myself that we must 'forgive ourselves' and move forward when starting the journey of sanity with food once again. We have all been there. Credit for checking online for the points of food at the restaurant! - and joining WW.

lexxiss/debbie - so glad you checked in... a 'boring' good report is great! Carry on.

newlifestyle - wonderful to see your post today. I am so sorry to hear of your brother's passing on. Yes.. baby steps can start a journey, for sure.

nationalparker - yes, it's amazing how one cookie can stay in your mind for so long and be so significant in your day. I understand.

gardenerjoy - credit for a plan and staying with it. Sometimes it take a couple days to pull it all together. Carry on.

Have a GREAT weekend.
  • Hi Coaches!

Well my food plan went helter skelter yesterday and was reflected on the scale this morning. Ouch...but to be expected. It was very simple I chose not to use many of my resistance skills although I DID refuse to order pizza delivery to our door. Work today and increased commitment to following the plan which I have already made.

credit for checking in....must head out the door.

onebyone, sending supporting thoughts your way.
  • Happy Saturday! I did great at our belated anniversary dinner out last night - actually brought home more than I had set in my mind that I would. The meal I love there isn't abundant, but tried to follow the "eat only 20-25% more" than a home meal plan that Dr. Beck recommends. And nailed it. Credit! We had talked about splitting a dessert but we skipped that as well.

Today is an uncommonly warm day here, as was yesterday. I got out on the trail with our dog yesterday and plan to do so today as well. Part II of our belated anniversary with a concert tonight, so we'll eat a light dinner early and I'm going to plan something small afterward, since I know I'll be hungry afterward.

Welcome back Ann - I, too, would like to send positive, supportive thoughts your way in the loss of your brother.

Better note with personals later today, hopefully. After activity, errands, cleaning and um...might be tomorrow. hmm! Have a great day, all!
  • Back On Plan
    Hey Coaches and Becksters,

Sorry for the layoff from posting, and all I can offer is embarrassment and an excuse. My wife left Tuesday morning on a business trip and my plan fell by the wayside. I mindlessly ate fast food every night and to excess. Not good modeling for my kids. Okay, done with the self flagellation.

I'm back, so credit to me and more credits for reading advantages and writing out today's eating plan. And yeah, my wife is back, so that helps too.

I hope everyone is doing well and I look forward to getting back on my journey with your support.

Until that time...
  • Dear Coaches,

I'm new at 3FC and looking for a place to call home. BillBE seems to ask new people how and why they got here, so I'll beat him to the punch. I used a weight loss plan 5 years ago that had an active message board. I'm here to tell you that the support system kept me 100% on plan for 30 weeks and a loss of 70 pounds. Maintenance you ask? Well obviously I skipped that part as I regained 60 pounds. During that time, I learned about the Beck Diet Solution. I started it (wasn't consistent) but I'm a firm believer in CBT. When I was browsing 3FC, I ran across this section. I read about 3FC years ago and seeing it's so active and knowing the support helps so much, here I am.
    I have had a lifelong issue with weight. As an adult, my weight has fluctuated between 105 and 221.5 (highest ever). Before children I sat unhappily between 130-135 pounds. Now, I'd give my spleen to weight 130 and be happy about it! After children range from 150-221.
    Even though Dr. Beck doesn't recommend (or forbid) starting weight loss for 2 weeks, I've started a prepackaged food weight loss system. It's the one with a center you go to weekly. I like the "counselor" I have. Right now with lots of stressors involved, I'm not in the frame of mind to meal plan. I don't even want to think about it for awhile. My counselor has already provided me with the tools for planning a 1200 cal/day regime so when I feel ready, I'll be doing a few days/week of my meal planning.
    I look forward to getting to know you all.
    Julia
  • Broke this into 2 posts so I didn't lose a novel again.

Day One: Reasons to lose weight card (distilled)
    1. Feel better physically
    2. Feel in control
    3. Regain professional credibility
    4. Feel better emotionally

"Everything is better when you feel your best and look your best" (thanks Kim)
    I don't want to look back to see who posted this but it had to do with breaking a plate, you don't throw all the plates on the floor, missing your exit you don't continue in the wrong direction for 5 more hours. I LOVE THIS and laughed enough I get my DH's attention.

My addition/analogy:
    I was on a trip (life), my car (body) broke down (got fat) in a lonely, barren gas station in the middle of nowhere. Do I just stay here being lonely, feeling miserable, exhaused, disappointed and sad, eating gas station junk? Or do I get my car repaired and get back on the road? Well, the gas station is a miserable place to live so I choose to get my car fixed(lose weight) and get back on the road (enjoying my life).
    The Best of Saturdays to all of you!
    Julia
  • Hello,
    Thank you for all the kind words, and suggestions, it has been one of those days, the kind where you have two steps forward, three steps back.
    I thought I was doing good and then I went to work and proceeded to have a meltdown I was doing fine and then my boss asked me how anyone could help and then the tears started and just wouldn't stop, I then went into a fit of laughter, I am sure it was nervousness and the rawness of being human. I have just been putting one foot in front of the other to fake it until I make it...yikes.
    I came home and then the coffee maker broke, I was heating pitas in the oven and they burned, I went to get something out of the car and a lady was letting her dogs poop on my sidewalk, when I mentioned I could get her a bag she told me it was my sidewalk and not her problem, I just wanted to scream.
    I didn't eat over it what I really wanted to do was pick up the poop and throw it at her, since I am not of sound mind, I realized that I should not be doing any thing until I am of sound mind....could take a while.
    I am posting even though I find it difficult.
    Thanks to everyone for being here. I hope I can contribute soon.
    Take Care
    Ann