Beck Diet For Life/Solution – January 2013 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

You're on Page 7 of 24
Go to
  • HI... stopping by quickly. This came thru today via the Beck Facebook Page to whom I am friend.

Think Thin Thursday Tip: Remember, it’s a combination of all of the “little” things – like not eating a cookie from the cafeteria, making it a priority to eat sitting down, walking by the candy dish and not dipping in– that will make you lose weight. It’s all the daily things that lead up to BIG weight loss!

Good thought. I'll be back later.
  • A long response for IBelieveInMe2. I'll do my real check-in later.

I followed the food plan in the green book for awhile. It's lower carb than I prefer, although not as low as South Beach so probably not low enough to please Lexxiss. I'd probably do better on it now because I've lowered my carbs some over time -- partly because of my experience on that diet. I lost weight quite quickly, but that was mostly because after years of low-fat dieting, I couldn't get myself to eat as much as was written on the plan. So, I wasn't really eating enough calories. I quit after a few weeks because the too-low calories was making me cranky and I was losing weight faster than I needed to. But I still think it was a good experience and I'm glad I did it for awhile.

I tried at least 4 different plans while I was losing weight. Whenever I got bored or my weight loss stalled, I tried something new just because I like new things and it gave me a boost of energy.

I prefer exchange plans because I don't like measuring and weighing either -- although I do that once in a while to make sure my portion sizes aren't getting too large. And, I measure all the time for some things like nuts and cereal that are easy to measure and easy to overeat. One thing I liked about the plan in the green book was that it was an exchange plan augmented with calorie counting so I felt like I got all the benefits of both -- the flexibility and variety of an exchange plan with the knowledge of calories.

If eating out is one of your priorities, you might want to look into South Beach. I often pretend I'm on South Beach when eating out because it makes it pretty easy and I usually have good results.

Planning is amazing. Please give that a chance! I have a written plan for all of our favorite restaurants so if we spontaneously go out to eat, I swap out the plan of what I was going to eat for the planned item at that restaurant.

Yep! We'll all be your coaches and hope that you will be the same for us. The upside of that is our combined brain power and experience is astounding. The downside is we're not that good about chasing down people who stray away. So, you might want to think about how to handle the situations when you don't feel like posting. Many of us make a pledge to ourselves that we'll post every day even if it's just a quick check-in.

I think you'll find that My Fitness Pal and Spark People work as plans if you consider calorie-counting a plan. For me, I had to do too much weighing and measuring for my tastes to make calorie-counting work. Although, it's really great to do it for a day or so every now and then just to see how things are stacking up. Every time I did it during a weight stall, I discovered I was eating too many calories. Duh!
  • I am hoping that posting here this morning will get my brain going. I went to bed at 9 PM last night because I was super tired. Then I slept terribly and woke up with another headache. Uck! I keep fidgeting, switching tasks, being impatient with thinking computers, readjusting my chair, etc. Apparently I am really anxious...

I had an extra snack again yesterday. For some reason I keep telling myself, it's OK to have it if I am hungry late. Not today!!! I've also got a deep-chested cough that started when I got to my office. Uh oh! I'm not getting sick again!!!

GardenerJoy, today is our day to end bad snacking!!

NatureGirl, glad that you made it through the wind OK. Something about being off routine really throws me too.

IBelieveinMe2, I can't comment on 1-3. But, 4 and 5 have been pretty essential. Generally I will weigh and measure my food for a few weeks and stop. If I notice the scale stop moving, then I will go back to weighing and measuring. As far as planning, I think mentally preparing for situations can really help remove some of the powerlessness I felt before. For example, my friends all want to go hear a band and ordered snacks. If I hadn't planned on that and eaten before hand I would have found myself in "shades of grey" as far as "spontaneous" off plan unhealthy eating. So, planning really has helped me. For 6 - we all help out each other unless you feel the need to have a specific person in the "coach" role.

BillBlueEyes, thanks for the reminder that "food does not fix corrupted windows". It was a good laugh and made me a little less anxious that I was getting hungry at 10 AM when my campus network was being S-L-O-W.

NationalParker, thanks for the reminder about focus on food. I had gotten really bad about that before winter break and have been focusing a bit more on that lately. Your dates sound really fun.

BeverlyJoy, thanks for the Beck tip.
  • Hi Coaches!

Like Beverlyjoy, I might get back here later....but right now important to check in. credit.

I'm already back from my "airport run" to get sis on her way. It's a 2-1/2 hr RT which sets my schedule back a bit and I have lots to do today. I, too, have a few of those "mechanical-technical" thingies to deal with. An electric window in our car malfunctioned yesterday AND my mom just informed me her cell phone battery is dead. It's also company payroll tax day...order the pup's meds...etc etc.

Most importantly, I have weighed and I have a food plan for today...green smoothie already down the hatch. I went to bed early last night and had 1/2 a vegan muffin (instead of 2) and instead of dinner. I ate healthy AND vegan at WhFoods lunch yesterday. It was wonderful.

I hope I make it back later.

IBelieveInMe2, as the pink book progresses, Dr. Beck asks you not to start your diet for 2 weeks since she feels it is helpful for you to master certain steps first. Perhaps that would give you some time to be investigating the certain diets and perhaps your Green book will arrive in the mean time. I like the food plan in the green book but have not followed it specifically because I already had a food plan (South Beach) which I was very satisfied with before I started Beck. gardenerjoy mentioned me in her post and because South Beach has 3 phases I tend to find I don't eat as "low carb" as might be suggested because I tend to lean towards Phase 3 which is keeping me in maintenance while I work on the emotional issues which brought me to such an overweight status in the first place. My take on the food plan in the green book is that it is about proper portions, finding a specific calorie alottment for each day and emphasizes foods which tend not to aggravate "cravings". No food is off limits, but the planning ahead factor allows you to have a donut or chips...when you plan ahead. You spoke of the chore of planning meals ahead of time. Yes, it seems daunting at first but it is a really helpful tool and it does get easier. Feel free to ask more questions.

I gotta get cracking here....
  • Apparently I CAN order a 6" sub on wheat bread without a bag of chips at Subway! Credit! Feeling rather virtuous, too, since the guy at Subway gave my coworker a few cookies in honor of his birthday (we go to the same one every week) and I declined! Extra credit. Back to the office where someone had bought frosted sugar cookies for his bday. Bakery made. Fresh. Beautiful.

Not feeling as virtuous now. The cookie was delicious. Fooey.
  • You guys are awesome!!! :-)
    Thank you to those of you who took the time and effort to post your responses, thoughts, and ideas to me directly ~ and so quickly! I really and truly appreciate everyone's input! It sounds like I definitely need to give planning meals a try. Again, I need to realize that it won't be perfect and that it doesn't have to be all or nothing. Since many of you highly recommend it, I will attempt planning each day's meals the night before or decide each morning (with breakfast) what I will eat for that day. That feels doable. I just HAVE to be realistic about what I know in my gut I will or will not do, and planning a whole week ahead is just not me, at least not right now.

BillBlueEyes: Thank you for going through and addressing each of my questions. Your insights are very helpful. I especially like how you referred to the Beck strategy that it's far easier to stay on a plan than it is "to be good." It helped me to realize that "being good" has been my basic goal and hope each day, and that's not worked very well for me! "Being good" is not a diet plan and I do need to have a plan. As I mentioned, I will give planning a try once I decide on my diet plan (and back-up plan). Committing to one week of planning sounds doable and reasonable. Sorry for your hassles at the tech support desk. That is so frustrating! Good for you for tackling and fixing the problem on your own. Give yourself CREDIT for that, rather than beating yourself up by thinking you should have done that in the first place! Hope you are back on track and having a better day today!

nationalparker: First of all, don't let your slip of eating that cookie ruin the credit you give yourself for NOT eating the chips at Subway! At least you did not eat both and you are wise/brave for "fessing up" about your mistake. Secondly, thank you for your input on my questions as well. That is so awesome that you lost 60 pounds on Weight Watchers, even when dining out frequently! I have not ruled that diet plan out. Good to know that you were successful with it on the run. I know the meetings would be helpful for me, but the points counting sounds tedious. I have done Nutrisystem and Jenny Craig in the past and managed to lose 15 and 35 pounds, respectively (but gained it all back). I still feel a bit rebellious about "answering" to a "diet counselor" each week, which happened during my time with Jenny Craig. I KNOW I can't eat "substitute food" again; can't stomach it anymore and I gained everything back once back to eating regular food.

Beverlyjoy: Thank you for sharing the Think Thin Thursday Tip. I have been reminding myself that it is the little positive/healthy choices I make throughout each day that will add up to better health and weight loss. This was further reinforcement of that concept for me. I will have to check out the Beck FB page.

gardenerjoy: I like your idea about trying out different diet plans. I, too, get bored easily with one...... unless of course it's working well!..... and need variety after awhile. I also will heed your advice on weighing and measuring once in awhile to keep my portions in check. "Once in awhile" sounds doable and I can see the value in that. The green Beck book sounds like it might be good for me to use, at least as my back-up plan. Can't wait to receive it! I really wish I could take each of the things that are most valuable TO ME about each plan and combine them into my own personal diet plan. I have learned something from each diet I have tried and from all of the self-help books I've read on weight loss. I plan on taking each valuable insight with me on whichever diet plan I choose. Thanks for your input on the South Beach diet as a possibility for me. I know someone who lost significant weight on it and looked great last time I saw her, after which I purchased a few of the books, but got overwhelmed with it and abandoned it before ever beginning. As for planning, I have decided to definitely give it a chance. I am working on developing more self-discipline in several areas of my life, and planning can only help me with that.

FutureFitChick: Sorry about your headache and cough. I hope you aren't getting sick! I have frequent headaches and occasional migraines, so I feel your pain. Your input on weighing, measuring, and planning is helpful. I will definitely try planning and will use weighing and measuring on an as-needed basis (at least to start) ~ like when the scale won't budge, as you mentioned. I can't get enough mental preparation, because (at least for me) it is a constant battle. Hence my need and love of self-help books and support groups!

Lexxiss: Thank you for the reminder that I am not supposed to start a diet plan for two weeks. I am still just investigating diet plans, but I cannot wait (though I will) to jump right in! Excited (again.....finally!) to lose weight and get healthier!!! I just hope and pray that this enthusiasm will last, especially after my first setback. I need to stick with whatever plan I decide on (as long as it is getting results)! I am all about working on my emotional issues. I have many, and it helps me so much to understand WHY I think and behave in certain ways. From your description of the diet plan in the green Beck book, I think I might like it, at least as a back-up, but possibly as my primary plan, too. I will just settle myself down until the book arrives and then decide on a plan. I can wait......right!? I really like what I've seen online about the "dietwatch: see yourself succeed" plan, too, especially because they have a whole separate part of their program dedicated to emotional eating (for a separate charge, of course!). If I had to choose right now, it would be the dietwatch plan as #1 and the Beck green book diet plan as #2.................. or vice versa. Uggggh, I hate making important decisions!!! Can you tell?!? Maybe I am making too big of a deal out of choosing my plan. I can always switch if the first plan isn't working for me.

Okay, I think that's everyone (at least everyone who responded to me recently)! Hope all of you are having a great ~ on-plan ~ day!!!
  • Hi friends... yesterday was healthy and sane.... I am always grateful for that. I accomplished many goals: planned/measured/logged food, always left a bite, read my advantage cards & Beck, did my centering breathing before meals, slowed down for one meal (at least tried to be more mindful, anyway), & did all my Beck journal writing. For the second night in a row and didn't eat an extra amount in the evening. And... I woke up at 3am and didn't eat then either. Many credits and grateful, too.

My stomach has been a bit upsit... feels like heartburn and reflux. I must be diligent about not eating or drinking a couple of hours before bedtime. (other things too)

I made an appointment to see and meet a new family doctor. I've been upset with mine for a long time. Enough is enough... my grandma would say. My new doctor has a good reputation for being a good diagnostician and a caring doctor, too. That is in four weeks.

Been getting ready for next week's two days of performances.

ibelieveinme - I think, for me, planning is one of the most important things I do for my Beck program and myself. When it's all planned out... then those food thoughts (what will I eat next & how much etc.) don't 'spin' around in my head all day. It's planned out and it just makes it easier, I think. There, have been times, of course, where I have had to switch things around. But, actually... it's helpful for me to plan. Let me know what you think
    Also, I don't use the diet plan in the green book. I use food exchanges. It's easy for me. My second plan is calorie counting.

I do weigh and measure my food. I've been doing it such a long time that I can eyeball a few things. But, I usually measure out protien or starches, etc. It's NOT measuring my food that got me to 271 pounds long ago. I always want more than a what a portion should be. LOL I don't really mind measuring. Also, the part of me that says 'I am full' is broken. So I can't use that either. You will see what works for you and how it fits in with Dr. Beck's suggestions..

Also - I don't plan a week at a time. That being said, I do plan a day at a time and have an idea of some of the other meals during the week - so I know what to get and have from the grocery.

debbie/lexxiss - glad all the airport stuff is over... CREDIT for checking in on a busy day and having a plan. Carry on.

Nationalparker awesome credit for realizing you can eat a subway sub without chips and a cookie!

futurefitchick - I hope you aren't getting sick, too. That extra snack is tricky for me. My plan allows me about 150 calories for an evening snack.. I do better if I use that many calories. Lately, I've been eating it at about 7:30pm.

billbe - ugh... I don't like to hear of your computer problems and having to deal with the big box computer fixer folks. Glad you are back on track and your computer 's doing ok, too.

Hope everyone is having a great day.
  • Good Evening, Coaches.
    Last night in Goddard. I had a few missteps with the refined sugar (chocolate almonds and berries- mysteriously sweet.) Credit for NOT giving into the all or nothing thinking that would send me down the rabbit hole and toward eating the ice cream in the cafeteria. I did feel blue but knew (from reading all of you) that eating would not make me happy.

Off to my last shower in the dorm. i will not miss lugging everything dow to the bathroom and wearing water shoes.
  • Day 4: 4th successful day!
    Hi coaches!

This is day 4 for me and I've stayed OP. I spent some time last night reading the tips on the Beck Institute website--my books come tomorrow.

Walking is still completely on target. I'm using myFitnessPal to track calories and exercise. I'm using calorie counting as my plan right now with a non-specific tendency to favoring protein over carbs. I told my husband that I needed to eat more at both breakfast and lunch--I was hungry today and ended up with 400 calories left at the end of the day. That is not good. mFP even told me so, but I'd figured it out first, so YAY for me.

I ordered 6 boxes of Girl Scout cookies last week (2 from each co-worker's daughter)--and have decided that I won't take delivery of any of them. The Girl Scouts have a "Gift of Caring" program where donated cookies are given to a charity/need of each troop's choice. Some are sent overseas to troops, some are given to children's hospitals. My troop used to take ours to St Vincent's homeless shelter. So, I'm going to pay for those 6 boxes of cookies--and tell them to add them to their troops' Gift of Caring. I felt relieved when I realized I could support the girls and their troops--and not sabotage myself by having the cookies available to me. YAY for me.

I got a real dose today of what happens when the food isn't planned out for the day. Before I went to bed last night, although I didn't write it down, I planned out breakfast and lunch. That worked great. While cooking my breakfast, I put my lunch together. As I was coming home from work today, though, I was somewhat panicked--I didn't have a clue what we were having for dinner. At Target, I picked up some salad fixings, I bought a couple of frozen meals that could be OP if I have an "oh no" night, and resolved that I wouldn't do this to myself again. I also bought a food scale--the primary reason for my trip to Target!

So, tomorrow, I am having eggs and strawberries for breakfast (the strawberries are already washed and cut). I am having chicken salad on lettuce with strawberries for lunch. (Made the chicken salad tonight--weighing and measuring wasn't that hard.) We are having pasta with meatballs and homemade marinara sauce tomorrow for dinner, along with salad. I'll have to measure to find out how much pasta fits in my plan, and figure out calories for the marinara sauce--I froze it a few weeks ago and so don't really have measurements.

This weekend, I am going to decide on some recipes and go grocery shopping so I'm prepared with dinner options for the next few days. I don't know if I can do a week at a time, but I can do 3 days. So that's going to be my goal. I think I'll be more in control. YAY for me!

futureFitChick: I hope you are having a great ski weekend!

gardenjoy: Thanks for the shin splint hint--I'm working it! I like the way you took greater ownership of your plan for today--I'll look forward to hearing about your success!

IBelieveInMe2: I have balked against journaling when working on emotional issues--but when recognizing that what I was doing didn't work, I decided to try it--and it does help. I hate the idea of planning my food each day, but as I wrote above, I'm going to work on it, since not planning is not working out well for me.

beverlyjoy: yay for the spoon. It's great that you were able to draw on an exercise from the book--in the moment! And I love your reminder about planning for that cake. Since you posted about the Beck Facebook page, that made me go out and Like the page. Thanks! I really appreciate your thoughts on planning, too--your successes are helping me! I hope your tummy is feeling better.

BillBlueEyes: Only with Windows would we allow the "turn off and turn back on" method of dealing with problems.

nationalparker: I'll have to remember the Subway options for when I really do have to 'grab on the go'--good for you for skipping the cookie there. It really takes next to no time to fry or scramble an egg or two. I have to tell myself that since I hate to do anything in the morning, but there are so few morning things that like to be cooked in advance!

Lexxiss: it sounds as if you had an incredibly busy day--and a food plan to go with it. Credit.

maryann: Every time we deny all or nothing thinking, the easier it gets. When I was working on depression and distorted thinking issues in the past, I found that it got easier and easer. Hmm. I'd never thought of applying it to weight and exercise management, though!

Have a wonderful <and well planned> Friday, everyone!
  • I tidied up my eating, but didn't manage to exercise. Tomorrow, I'll try for my trifecta -- OP eating, exercising, and writing all in one day!

WI: +0.4 kgs, Exercise: +0 430/1400 minutes for January, Food: 90%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
  • Friday - New Moon
    Diet Coaches/Buddies – Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi. One snack was larger than needed, but one snack was skipped. The calories balance but the attitude has room for improvement. I finally got a flu shot even as the supplies are locally spotty. I also met a deadline one day early which is an improvement for me.

A full effort exercise day, CREDIT moi. Physical therapy showed that I continue to progress; Gym showed that my muscles are coming back and that my dreaded lunges are slowing becoming possible; A long walk to pick up DW's car at the garage showed that walking is returning with the foot annoyed at duration but not in pain. And I tick my monthly counters this morning. A satisfying day. Think I'll reward myself by specifically noting the New Moon at noon today; my lifetime prejudice is to celebrate the Full Moon at night in its blazing glory giving short shift to the eloquent and simple New Moon.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Cheering for a trifecta day. I'd call it a Hat Trick day but I'm annoyed at the Hockey institution at moment for their greed.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Ouch for it all stacking up on the same day, with Kudos for responding "green smoothie already down the hatch."

Beverlyjoy – Love it, "It’s all the daily things that lead up to BIG weight loss!" Good luck on your quest for a new Primary Care Physician (PCP on so many forms) - you deserve a match that fits you.

FutureFitChick – Uck indeed! - do hope you're not getting sick when you're supposed to be relaxing on the ski slopes. I share your "being impatient with thinking computers" - I hate that all my applications are active on the net with their home bases discussing whether I'm running the latest version, whether I'm paranoid, and whatever else they're discussing behind my back.

maryann - Ahh ... remembering dorm showers. Nostalgia is better than actually trucking down the hall to use them, LOL. Yep, Kudos for avoiding "all or nothing thinking."

nationalparker – Yay for success at Subway's with full Kudos for skipped FREE cookies there. Ouch for being seduced by bakery cookies - give yourself credit that you didn't fall for Oreo's.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Six Kudos for those Girl Scout Cookies shipped off to Gift of Caring - so much better than in your body. Yikes for the reminder of life while wandering around Target while hungry and without a plan - that's when a Huge bag of something unnecessary tends to appear in my shopping cart.

IBelieveInMe2 – Kudos for recognizing that you're capable of daily planning and willing to give it a try, but not ready for weekly planning. I'm boggled that my DW does plan our dinner menu's for the week, "How else would I make my shopping list?" She then juggles as required since our life has its unpredictables, but purchased pork chops only have a few day window to be swapped around. [Thanks for the reminder to take credit for my success without beating myself up for not doing it sooner.]

Readers -
    Quote:
    chapter 2
    What Really Makes You Eat

From Trigger to Eating

This inner argument between your sabotaging and helpful thoughts can make you feel tense. The tension is unpleasant. Often, you'll try to alleviate that tension by deciding to eat. But before you eat, take note as you reach for the food - before you put it in your mouth. However, just as the decision to eat can reduce tension, the decision not to eat can also reduce tension.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 30.
  • Checking in today anticipating a busy weekend, getting-things-done-wise. Date night tonight, and I'm really looking forward to dressing up a bit and heading out for a late dinner. Breakfast was at 7:15, Lunch will be around noon, and I have a snack for late afternoon, but might see if I can save it up and eat it with a cup of tea when I get home, so I'm not ravenous by 8:30 when I think we'll finally be eating.

It poured this morning, which I LOVE, since it's not snow/ice. (Remind me in April that I love it, okay?) ... So nice to doze in and out of sleep, hearing it coming down. Dinner was a success last night - sweet potatoes cubed up with lots of peppers (vitamin c!) and onions, and sweet turkey italian sausage crumbled up, along with a side of green beans. DH and I both loved it and it wasn't a calorie hit. Trying to come up with a few different options for our dinners when i have time. Stayed on track with no snack since I'd splurged with that cookie. (side note - there is ONE cookie left this morning in the office. I got in and NO one was around. I actually went and looked at it! Left it there, walking back to my cube and saying, I have NO NEED for that. But now I'm a little relieved that others are in...) I hate that a cookie can make me weak-willed. Need to work that resistance muscle!

BillBlueEyes - Major credits for all of the activity yesterday! SO right with the decision not to eat something off plan being a sense of relief. OH WELL. I can't have that but oh well. I'll love it when I'm fitting into a tighter pair of jeans (and shoudl write "oh well" on a piece of paper and put it in the pocket... to remind what got me there.)

BethFromDayton - That is GREAT about donating the cookies! Double bonus on that, times six! It's good that they have a program like that, too, since the orders seem to start at the same time as the healthy new year resolutions do around here.

IBelieveInMe - I find that measuring my food gives me MORE sometimes - I underestimate with cheese and stuff like light syrup ... and meat. But I overestimate with baked potato, whipped butter, so it keeps me on track. And also depending on how hungry I am affects that. I keep a measuring cup of whatever the serving of cereal is right in the box. So I'm never trying to find one, etc. I bought an extra set and use those so they're handy.

BeverlyJoy - Good to realize that you need a caring, quality physician. Good luck with that process and what a sense of relief it'll be when you leave his/her office after your appt down the line, thinking, "Wow, that was a good choice." Positive vibes coming your way that you match up with a great one!
  • Hello everyone,
    I am back after being missing in action. Please forgive me for not being here. A lot has happened in the last little while and I realize I need to get back on track. A few months ago my brother passed away and I have not been making wise decisions about my eating during this time. I realize I need to get back and start practicing the Beck skills.
    I didn't feel like posting but I have to start somewhere. I wish I had more to say, but I realized that I need to start taking baby steps to get back in the wagon instead of chasing the wagon.
    Thanks
    Ann
  • Just popping in real quickly to respond to your post, Ann.....

First of all, CREDIT goes to you for having the courage to post after you had a life trauma and strayed in your eating!!! Posting here is a HUGE "baby step," I think!

I am so sorry about the loss of your brother. That must be heartbreaking. Were you close to him? Either way, the death of a loved one always shakes up one's world and throws us off kilter, at least to a certain extent; sometimes for a long while. So I applaud you for your effort to get "back in the wagon." That is where you belong, after all! My sympathy and prayers go out to you as you process your grief.

I am brand new to the group, so I am not familiar with your journey, but I wanted to respond as quickly as possible to you when I saw your post and let you know that I will be cheering you on as you get back in the game! Best of luck to you as you move forward on your journey!
  • Ann, my heart goes out to you. A sibling holds such a special place in one's heart and world. May your memories of him bring you and your family peace.

They say that the longest journey starts with just one step. You're starting again. That's hard--but deciding to and planning on it is definite CREDIT. Baby steps are steps--and they put you on your way.

I'm new to the list--and looking forward to all of us journeying together.