Wheat Belly-January

You're on Page 3 of 14
Go to
  • Omg those look Devine!!! I showed them to my hubbie and he almost started drooling! And it is so simple, i have to try it! What a good idea about making the weight room. I'm not sure about the cream vs milk but I do have a friend who is doing weight watchers and she told me that milk has more points than cream does. My cream is 1 gram carb per tablespoon. I am craving sugar right now so going to try and make hot choc with unsweetened cocoa, stevia and the almond milk. I saw it posted somewhere and thought it was a good idea. Have a good night!
  • Quote: Hi JoJoJo ! 86yo , Breast Cancer survivor and computer smart ! Wow !!! Welcome !
    Thanks for the welcome, Nora. I'm enjoying this thread and all the ideas you are all sharing.
  • Good Morning!!! Feeling sick today. Think I am getting a head cold. Ugh! Why do the weekends fly by! lol! Anyway still doing well. Had a few things with scant amount of flour in them this weekend. Went to fav restaurant and had crab bisque & crab cakes (their crab cakes are mostly crab with very little filler but still there was def a bit of filler) anyway still losing. Down a total of 3 lbs so far. So happy with that.

Nora-Cream is 1 carb per 2 TBSP serving much better than milk plus it makes the coffee so much creamier. I have been putting 1 tsp of CO in my coffee since yesterday. Will do that for a week, then increase until I am at 1 TBSP. Thanks for the recipe link. Looks yummy...are we allowed bacon? It is hard to find uncured bacon or do most just ignore that since its so little sugar added?
    Thanks for the heads up about the carrots. Won't miss beets or pots but will certainly miss my carrots!! I think once the weight is off I will add them back in. The recipe I found was eggs & coconut flour. I think it was just a bad recipe cause all the other ones I have looked at only call for 1 egg this one called for 3!

Great idea about the home gym, we have set everything up in our basement and are planning on starting this week. Good luck on losing those 6 lbs, you can do it!!!

Have a great Monday!!
  • Hello Everyone,
    So I had to pick up the book this week, and finished it over the weekend. My husband has also started to read it and said he thinks it’s the best for us. I did Ideal Protein diet twice… lost all my weight this time last year phased off correct and bam it was ALL back on in a few months (Ate what the maintained phases said too) decided to start all over again on the diet lost 20+ in Nov but realized that maybe this was just a quick fix diet. My doctor (here in Canada IP is not medically supervised as it is in the USA) and ran blood work and I had all these odd proteins show up and he said this diet is not healthy for me as we are actively trying to get pregnant. He suggested to read Wheat Belly and follow the diet as a life style change, not just weight loss program. So we are 2 days in- I feel fine as IP was very low carb to start with, my poor husband is having some BAD withdrawals! Made the banana blueberry muffins from the book yesterday and realized I forgot the eggs after, however they still turned out amazing!
  • Good Morning everyone!
    Looks like it was real quite around here yesterday. Down 4 lbs as of my 1 week mark. So very happy with that. Found a WB discussion group on FB. Just called WB need to apply to join but they approve you in about 2 secs.

Billster-Welcome to the group. I have been on WB 1 full week today. I really like it but I am going to have to do something this weekend about breakfast foods. Getting sick of eggs already! My dh had some cravings too but he is doing ok now. Did get him some dark chocolate since he was so addicted to coke and candy.

Have a wonderful Wednesday!!
  • Well its day 4 and the scale is down 3lbs! Woot Woot! I have been cooking a great deal- which I don’t mind doing. Hubby was at work last night so I made the flax seed wrap and filled it with eggs and salsa it was heaven! I do not have time to make breakfast during the week as I have a good 45 minute drive to work and eat at my desk when I get to work. I have been having muffins for breakfast and some berries and/or nuts. This works for me but requires some time in the evening to bake up a batch. The pumpkin muffins with some low fat cream cheese is so darn good! I used raw pumpkin seeds over walnuts (not a fan of walnuts). My husband makes shakes for breakfast- he is doing the diet for health not weight loss as he only needs to lost maybe 5 lbs not 50 like me. He loads up the blender with spinach, berries and wheat free protein powder and drinks it on his way to work. His big issue is he works on the road (he’s a train conductor) and can be gone for long periods of time – yesterday he works 19 hours in a row plus a hour drive to work each way. Any ideas of foods that will last long without having to be kept cool besides nuts?
  • Maryshady- way t go on the weight loss!
  • So excited to find this forum! I read Wheat Belly a few months ago, and have not had any wheat since, except for a couple of tiny amounts. I started low carb, no or almost no wheat, food in it's real state (no artificial sweeteners, etc.) and am learning about broths and fermented foods from Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon. My goal is to be 80% adherent to my low carb/good fats plan, and 20% free for all. I think I am eating less than 20% "bad" now, it's just sugar in my coffee. I can give up a lot of things, but at this point, coffee is not one of them.
    I started for real on January 1, and am logging everything I eat.
  • Great news from everyone ! Billster, excellent news on your weight loss. Awesome that hubbie is doing WB as well. That makes life easier.. Not sure on what other meals could be taken. How about soups in a thermos. Savoury muffins...I am thinking cheese/ bacon... Nuts of course. Dark chocolate.

I had a day shopping yesterday and had nothing but nuts and 2 squares of dark chocolate all day and felt ill when I walked past all the Malls with people eating. No way am I ever going back to that... the freedom of not needing to eat makes this all so worthwhile.
  • Great news Mary. Keep at it!
  • Hi Dali, Hope Jan 1 was a good starting date for you! This way of eating gets easier when all the junk is cut out. Are you grain free as well as wheat free ? Have you tried stevia in your coffee ? Those sugar spikes are going to make it harder for you to lose weight..I took days to recover from Christmas and a single serve of sugar. It really affected my energy levels for days. I don't use any sugar in coffee - just pure cream and it tastes really sweet to me now. Hope you had a good day!
  • I was down another .2 today so my weight is finally reflected in my ticker again! Now to get back to the 150's! Doing really well but was hoping my good sleep would continue but not last night. Woke up a 3:30 am and never went back to sleep. Ugh! it is going to be a long day.

Billster-Congrats on the 3 lbs!!!! that is great Can dh carry a mini cooler with him. Then he could take greek yogurt, some chix, boiled eggs ..really most things. If not how about cut up avocado, berries, beef jerky (?)

Dali-Welcome to the group. Glad you found us! Seems you have come up with an eating plan you can live with. I was still using 1 tsp of sugar in my tea until this week. Now I am using xylitol, tastes pretty good. Still having a serving of sweetened creamer in my coffee too. Haven't been able to give that up but not seeing the no hunger benefits Nora is talking about. So I plan on cutting that out next Monday. I now eat much less than I did before but no way I could go all day without eating yet.

Nora-What type of dark chocolate do you buy? bought some for dh 60% but noticed it has sugar in it. 3 squares would be 20 grams of carbs. he only eats on square each day but still. We tried the 85% but that stuff was horrible! Glad you did so well shopping today, seems you got right back on the wagon

Have a great Thursday!!
  • Something is not going quite right here. 10 days totally wheat free, grain free, additive free. High protein, good fats. I have gained three pounds. I think my servings will have to be cut back drastically. I didn't think my servings were very big, but apparently they are.
    Back to the drawing board.
    Fortunately, at this point, I am not frustrated, angry and willing to just throw in the towel as I might have in years past. I am taking this on a month-by-month experimental basis, but I would like to finish out this month with a loss, not a gain.
  • Dali234- I would not worry too much about a gain- I know for myself if TOM is coming I can easily gain 5 lbs then it goes away again. It could also be your body adjusting to good fats, veggies, fruits. I try to always choose lower carb veggies over higher. I eat lots of lettuce, celery, cucumbers, green onions, snap peas (the thin ones not sugar snap peas) asparagus, broccoli, mushrooms and cauliflower. Just keep the same veggie choices as I did on IP. Only twice a week I allow myself to have some higher carb veggies such as- tomatoes, peas, turnip (not purple tops- the big ones), avocado, squash, eggplant and Brussels sprouts, carrots and only about 1 cup. This works for me so I’m not saying it will work for everyone. Fruits again I keep lower carb- grapefruits and berries are my 2 big ones- however I bought a 2lb box of kiwi at Costco and have been eat 2 of those a day. I keep my fruit as a treat or dessert.

Everyone else- Thank you for the tips on ideas for my hubby’s lunch! I am making him come to costco tomorrow to help me find things he will like and can take on the train! I still have some protein bars (Detour and simply bars- both do not have wheat or grains) so he can start taking those too. Again he is doing it for health as he maybe could do with losing 5lbs- unlike the 50 I need to lose.
  • Costco has at least three varieties of gluten free crackers...it is the only GF product I buy as per the WB book they're not good to eat but I love them with my hummus or with tuna salad. Quinoa salads would be good on the road as you can pair virtually anything with it. Costco sells quinoa as well as a good quinoa cookbook. Congrats Mary and billster on you're weight loss. That's awesome!! I'm going away for a night tomorrow so gonna bring lots of snacks so I have options as most coffee shops have nothing I can eat for breakfast