Acanthosis nigricans

• I noticed over the weekend I had some dark patches of skin on my neck area. It's really hard to see and I only noticed it when I was outside and looking in my mirror in the car. I'm committed now to low carb and hopefully this will help. It just was more proof that I have insulin resistance. I may end up seeing a doctor and discussing metformin, but for now I want to try it by diet alone. There is no telling what other factors are in to play with insulin resistance. I need to get healthy. Does anyone else have this?
  • I have it a little. I am on Metformin 2000mg a day for PCOS. i have been on the med for 4 months and it has started to fade.:. My diet has always been low carb. but i got it anyways so i would still talk to your dr about being IR
  • ok thanks! I may do that. I'll have a new insurance after the first of year which is in a few days, so I may schedule an appointment with someone. Did you also lose weight on the metformin? My BIL is on it for diabetes and has lost quite a bit of weight.
  • I do -- on the elbows and inner thighs.

Keep going -- weight loss has faded it for me in the past so I'm trying again.,

A.
  • Another sufferer here! I have it bad on my neck, underarms, inner thighs and strangely in between my breasts. It's so dark most people think it's scarring and I don't try and get into a converation about it! I did notice when I lost about 50lbs it improved on my neck and thighs greatly.
  • I have one little patch that embarrasses the crap out of me on my inner thigh...I've had it since about high school and nothing seems to affect it, unfortunately.