Beck Diet For Life/Solution – December 2012 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

You're on Page 4 of 16
Go to
  • Hi Coaches!

I couldn't get on the 3fc site this morning. credit for persistence, especially to report a less than stellar day. Meals OP, snacks not. I'm really trying to spend some time thinking about what's really bugging me since often my poor food choices are spurred on by some external aggravation. credit for that.

A bit of a stressful day today. We have dear friends who are much older and have been burdened by surgeries, and parkinsons. The hubby with parkinsons has been unable to speak louder than a whisper for many months now. I asked him several days ago what he would like to do and we'd make it happen. He wants to go to "Redstone" for lunch. That's what we are doing today. I hope all goes well although I anticipate the most difficult part will be the communicating. He loves to talk and is very distressed right now...he's also the one formerly very active, who is recovering from back surgery. I plan order a big salad today and will take my own dressing/nuts, since I'm not too fond of house dressings anymore.
    Off to look at the restaurant menu.
  • Getting Organized
    Hey Coaches,

The Beck Solution gives you homework, but I'm not going to grumble about because it's reinforcing what I believe (yep. I have a knack for stating the obvious). Anyway, credits abounded yesterday with mindful eating, reading advantages and other cards, investigating a workout plan (going with a softer approach of yoga and swimming) and confirming it all on paper. I love the credit system because most of my life, I've judged myself too harshly and now I'm earning credits. I'm going to buy a new shirt this weekend with my credits!

Thanks, and until that time...
  • Hi Coaches... checking in. I did weigh this morning and it was the same. Grateful. I must admit that yesterday was an off plan day. I got up knowing it would be.

Today is going well.... 'news at 11' - actually tomorrow. It's getting through the evening that has been my challenge of late. I just ate my dinner and I think I'll read my advantages.

Hope you've all had a great day.
  • Official Weigh-in Day that wasn't.
    Hi Coaches

I had a frustrating day today and I didn;t get to my WW meeting for the dumbest reason. You need this print out of your monthly pass and my printer is in my studio now and I forgot to print this out before I brought it over there. So I went out to track down an advertised printer this morning just so I could print this thing out cause I didn't think I could get Staples to print out a .htm file for me. So, three stores later, I arrive home with the printer and... no connector cable. And no clue what our network name and security code is. I can't print my proof of payment out so can't go to the meeting today and I was holding off eating to get a "true" weigh-in number. I will go to the Saturday meeting and do the weighin bit but it just ticked me off bigtime.

It was a good indicator of how seriously I am taking my foodplan and my weigh-ins and my goals again though. And so I used my wii fit # for my official weight: 250.7 (-3.5lbs for the week).

I am really anxious to move away from the 250's now. I've spent about 5 months visiting her and would like to say farewell to this weight.

I got a call from the specialty clinic dr's office. The Dr. there requested that I do a second round of bloodtests and I did that last week. They want me to go see my reg. dr. and bring the test results as I have a continuing high level of CRP in my blood. Apparently it's an indication of inflammation but it could be anything. It's a sign something is off. I suspect it is the weird thigh muscle issue I get. I also suspect that as I lose weight this will clear up. I have read recently that fat on/in the body causes inflammation and/or raises the level of inflammation in your body. Just another reason to keep doing what I'm doing. I'll make the appointment tomorrow.

Food today was good inspite of all the curveballs.

Have a good night Becksters.
  • Friday
    Diet Coaches/Buddies – When I weighed this morning, I expected to see about three pounds from the salt from Wednesday's dinner. I was surprised to find a downward whoosh of three pounds. I won't argue; this will give me a chance to accept the dither upwards tomorrow.

Eating was good enough, CREDIT moi. I grabbed a mint that came home with DW - as if I'd never seen a foil wrapped mint before. It was milk chocolate, not dark chocolate, so I wasted the calories altogether since I'm not a fan. There are moments when my mind is on vacation. At dinner I left about a third of my meal, CREDIT moi, which I'll have for lunch today. It's a big help when I stop when satisfied instead of full.

onebyone – Ouch for realities blocking the best of plans. That requirement for a printout seems onerous - lots of folks don't have ready access to printers. Kudos for "Food today was good inspite of all the curveballs" - that's when the real mojo is stressed.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – LOL at "23 hours and forty minutes" - Kudos for responding in advance rather than after 'failure.' [Thanks for suggesting exercise that I can do in a cast.]

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Kudos for just showing up with your own dressing. I used to think that as odd - now I think it an insight.

Beverlyjoy – 'Same' can be good.

BigchiefDavid – Terrific idea to buy yourself a shirt with your 'credits.' It's amazing how many of us have gone through life without giving ourselves due credit.

Readers -
    Quote:
    chapter 1
    The Key to Success

How Cognitive Therapy Works

Cognitive Therapy helps you solve both practical and psychological problems and learn new thinking and behavioral skills - skills you'll be able to use for the rest of your life. You'll not only overcome your current problems, but also learn how to use your new skills to overcome future problems.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 21.
  • Hi Coaches!

BBE, yay for downward scale movement even when you were anticipating otherwise!

onebyone, credit for many actions towards getting to your WW meeting then weighing on your Wii anyway. I understand the techno frustration....I have a very difficult time if I have to get something tweaked at the last minute.

bigChiefDavid, nice how you're already noticing how great it feels to give yourself credit, and how it was previously not a part of your agenda.

Beverlyjoy, great to read your advantages during the time when you have the most difficulty.

gardenerjoy, very interesting to read your ideas on time management. It's hard to find success when we haven't planned for it.

Me, took my salad dressing and nuts then when we passed through a small town our friend whispered lets go have mexican food. Ok, first plan squashed since salads aren't too inviting there. The friends each ordered a big plate and took some home...DH and I agreed to share. credit. After dropping them off I had a great sabotaging plan going for something sweet and resisted all the way home. credit for as close to plan as I could come yesterday, with the unexpected lunch. Today....no plan yet...it might be a good idea to do that.
  • Hello! After lurking here for a bit while I read the first 15 "chapters/days" of my Beck's book ... I decided to take the plunge and join in your group if okay since the welcomes to other new folks have been friendly!

I am struggling immensely with the holiday treats, desserts, meals and need to enjoy the social aspect rather than the food aspect this holiday. I'm on NO CHOICE today and this is just what I need. The scale has been rising quickly. Well, actually it has been steadily rising for two years - found the love of my life and promptly put on about 20 pounds ... He calls it "happy weight" but I'm less than happy about it and want to get back in control and get back down to a healthy weight.

I look forward to checking in and reading all of your supportive tips/reminders. Credit for actually joining here
  • Good Morning!
    Like yours, my life is crazy, but I feel a great sense of accomplishment when I take the time to read The Beck Diet Solution, do the exercises, read my cards, practice healthy eating and plan for the future. CREDIT, CREDIT, CREDIT, CREDIT, CREDIT!

That felt good. And losing five pounds sounds like a walk in the park with my beautiful wife on my arm and my kids running ahead.

Good luck to everyone today!

Until that time...
  • I opted for only club soda with a lemon twist at the party followed by a restaurant supper where I made reasonable choices for a festive occasion. My weight's up this morning, but I think it's the salt and late meal. Credit for weighing anyway, which is thanks to the disciplined model of Lexxiss.

I'm attaching a photo of me in the new sparkly top I bought for the party season. I chose the one that showed off my new waist the best.

Credit for taking three separate walks yesterday -- two trying to complete the same errand but the first time I didn't have the address right.

WI: +0.5 in kgs, Exercise: +80 235/1400 minutes for December, Food: 80%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Welcome, nationalparker! So glad that you jumped in! Good job for getting 15 days in and reaching NO CHOICE. You're doing great!

• Good morning, Coaches.

Gardenerjoy: I like the top. I was just thinking about what I would wear to two or three holiday parties coming up. I am glad that although I have struggled with a five pound gain, I still fit into my clothes.
    Lexxiss: totally understand being in the grip of a "sweet" thought. Credit for resisting it. It is funny. Resisting means forgoing the temporary high for a higher quality living yet STILL I feel I am being punished.
    Welcome National Parker. The sweets are tough. I am so grateful for the four days I have of abstinence from candy. It has been months since i have put even a few days together.

As for me, OP yesterday, Credit. Blue this morning, partly because the scale doesn't move and I am being a "good girl". Credit for telling myself it is just a number and remembering it is no longer going up. No food plan this morning but now I have restarted my day. I should fall within my calorie allowance by the end of the day. Thank God I can hop back on anytime.
  • Friday night wrap up
    Coaches

*credits*
    -tracked my food
    -weighed myself 250.5 (-0.2lbs)
    -cooked from scratch for dinner
    -no seconds
    -checked in here
    -ate green things today
    -ate sitting down
    -resisted buying sweet things
    -resisted eating too much of everything today

I am going to the Saturday WW meeting in the morning. I haven't been to this one ever. But I have my newly printed passcard with me now and I am ready to show up and be counted. I need the reinforcement of a meeting even though their meetings have little substance for me truth be told. It's more that I am letting myself know I am doing this thing.

I have had many many food thoughts this week. I have had severe urges to overeat and to buy this or that. For the most part I have resisted. Well, almost always this week I have resisted. I am allowing myself a tiny square of chocolate every day of my advent calnedar. I ahve never had one before and I got this Spongebob Squarepants advent calendar at the dollar store a few weeks ago and I am *delighting* in opening the tiny door and seeing what's in there. I am even blogging about it every day, which is already getting old and I have 25 days left. No matter. It's a good creative exercise.
    This may be the trigger for my food thoughts, this tiny sq. of poor quality chocolate. I am willing to not eat it if it comes to that. I won't risk my food plan for that tiny taste. I'll still blog about it though.

Have a great night.

nationalparker! I smiled when I read that you thought of us as a friendly bunch, mostly cause, we are Nice of you to join us.

BigchiefDavid I wanted to thank you for posting about buying a shirt with your credits. I had been thinking that it has been a long time since I created tangible rewards for myself when I reached goals. A few years ago, when I was new here, I decided to get a charm bracelet and to buy a charm for it when I was at a goal. I never followed through. Then it was "go to a movie" and that happened a few times and didn't last. I need to come up with a new do-able reward for myself that means something to me. Thanks for reminding me that it can be as simple as buying a shirt. I may buy some socks. Or nail polish. Or a book from the 50% off section at my local bookstore-or thrift store...

Have a great night and TGIF.
  • Welcome nationalparker
    nationalparker

And, in case you didn't get one of these when you joined two and a half years ago,

How did you come to hear about the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you find this Beck Forum on 3 Fat Chicks?
  • Saturday
    Diet Coaches/Buddies – Yahooo, my whoosh from yesterday persists. Now I'll entertain the thoughts that the scale has been slightly moved on our unlevel floor or that it needs a new battery - anything rather than admit that sticking to my plan affects body weight, LOL. Lunch yesterday was, as planned, the remainder of the previous night's dinner. It felt like a zero-calorie meal since it was previously accounted for. I skipped all snacks since I'm scarfing cough lozenges non-stop; I picked up DW's nasty cold and it's playing out slowly. At moment, I feel more incapacitated by my cold than by my broken leg.

Exercise was taking the subway to hear Handel's Messiah, CREDIT moi. This means that Christmas must be getting near. The Trumpet shall sound blasted from a horn from the 1700's with no valves to help the guy blowing it - all the more impressive. Just made my spirit soar. A man offered me his seat on the subway and I accepted. CREDIT moi since I've never accepted an offered subway seat before, but last night I felt my cast and walking stick were a hazard to others so I swallowed my macho and sat.

onebyone – My mind boggles thinking about a "Spongebob Squarepants advent calendar" - everybody's gotta do an advent calendar at least once in their life. Have you ever thought of adding a onebyone designed Advent Calendar to your Christmas sales? This one just screams to be upgraded by some of your creativity.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Kudos for feeling so good about your body that you think of how to best show it off. Neat choice of club soda at that party.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Yay for standing down the call for sweets all the way home. Mexican food is a challenge - a split meal sounds like a good start.

maryann - Kudos "for the four days I have of abstinence from candy" - a big deal during the eating season.

BigchiefDavid – Five Kudos for those Five Credits. Can't think of anything nicer than a walk with spouse and kids.

nationalparker – Yep, Kudos indeed "for actually joining here" - that standard hardest first step. Congrats for finding the love of your life; Ouch for those happy pounds, LOL.

We'll be glad to play the role of Diet Coach for you and ask that you play that role for each of us. My standard suggestion is to initially concentrate on posting here daily - or as often as fits - and to avoid feeling the need to do personals right away. In due course, we'll become visible as separate human beings. Glad you've joined us.

Readers -
    Quote:
    chapter 1
    The Key to Success

How Cognitive Therapy Works
    Whether you're depressed or content,
    a stay-at-home or working parent, a binge eater or
    social eater, a dieting novice or dieting pro,
    The Beck Diet Solution can help you.
    Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 22.
  • Good morning! I stayed on plan yesterday, but BUT BUT (why does there always seem to be a but) added and circled on my plan the last half cup of coconut gelato I was saving late last night. We went to a wonderful Big Bad Voodoo Daddy concert/performance and had a great time. Apparently, the need to keep the thrill going lasted for me. I beat myself up over stuff like this, so hopefully I'll get better about sticking to my plan and including the treats occasionally.

Credits for planning, and eating at home before the concert. (I sure hope debits aren't a future chapter!)

I was a WW member about 13 years ago, lost 60 pounds and kept it off. I liked their old fat/fiber plan (I'm dating myself!) ... rejoined WW last year but went up and down the same five pounds, and realized I need a better mental approach to getting rid of this extra weight, so trying to stick with the Beck's tasks. I had read the first chapters off and on but never FOLLOWED it. But it makes so much sense, so I'm hoping to hold myself more accountable and change my outlook. And my weight. I want to do this in a healthy manner, not just trying to get by with low point/low calorie food, but food that's nutritionally sound. I am having a hard time picking myself up, dusting myself off and getting down to business instead of rehashing in my mind what i did wrong to gain this weight.

Today is all errands and it's a rainy day - thank goodness not snow - but will try to take our dog out on the trail when it lets up for a good walk.

I had to laugh at the thought that the scale might need a new battery because it's reading lower. I only think that when it's going UP! (guilty!)
  • went
    Coaches

I made it to the Saturday ww meeting. The folks there are very different from the Ladies who attend my Thursday morning meeting. I was surprised. I think though I was most affected by the young boy and his dad. The boy is following ww. I had my first round of dieting at age 10, and it too was ww. I must have gone with my aunt who followed it for who-knows-how-long. Seeing that kid brought up many mixed emotions--and there I sat, close to 40 years later, still trying. I wanted to hug him/be happy for him that he's there/and cry all at the same time.

THANK GOODNESS I DID NOT WANT TO EAT OVER IT!
    *CREDIT GALORE*

So, since I have an official weigh-in # I've changed my stat here. 251.2lbs. I had to give back 0.5lbs. Feel sooooooooo much further from being under 250 again, but it's only a measly 0.5lbs. I must get over it and be happy for the 3lbs off. byebyebye 3 pounds.