Okay don't laugh. (Or do) But has anyone done home-made weights? Or something?

• Okay. So. Here's where I'm at.
    I am 40 days away from a pretty intense surgery that I wanted to lose 30 pounds by. I have not lost 30 pounds. I have lost 2-6 depending on the day.
    I am bummed.

I was told I can't do ANYTHING I was doing because my back is more messed up than I ever had any idea it was. (It was the twisting and leg raise type things that were killing me)

I live in Seattle. Every time I think about running the sky pokes its stupid face out at me, and drools all over the place. (It rains here constantly)

Can't afford a gym.

Is there any reason I couldn't just fill my backpack up with books, weigh it on my scale and use it instead of a weight/weights?

Has anyone ever done this? What'd you use?

I officially do not care how crazy I look. lol. Not like I cared much before but I'm braving the Seattle rain to run in my polka dot pajama bottoms so I might as well start lifting backpacks/babies or something, right?
  • weights are made of anything ... the only upside to store bought weight sets are comfortable handles.

That being said... if you have a bad back I would worry more about avoiding injury... doing yourself damage is just not worth it in the long run ... I would focus more on diet and figuring out what you are going to do with yourself during your recovery. Something low impact.
  • oops forgot to suggest weight options for you.

cheap weights 101

get 4 empty water bottles
    2 old pairs of socks.

fill the bottles with sand... or water... depending on what that weighs and what you want. Put a bottle in each sock.. sew the end of each together in pairs... instant floppy barbells.

if you need more weight... move on to 2-liter bottles.
  • He said I was okay for lifting if my back was supported, it's just the twisting that doc didn't like too much.
    Also, cool That's really creative. I'm totally using those
  • I agree with filling water bottles/jugs with sand or gravel rocks from your driveway? or a neighbor's driveway you could casually "borrow" :P
  • I've used all kinds of things! Cans of soup, big juice cans, water jugs with handles...weight is weight. Your muscles don't know what your weights look like. ;-)
    Do what you can, but do follow drs. orders. I'd hate to have you "out of commission" even longer due to aggrevating an injury. Good luck!
  • One of my favourite things is using my own weight as the weights - doing things which require you to use your weight as the balancing.

The jars and soup are a good idea. I also found that using books in baskets and creating a crude pulley system means you can add more weight and fashion your own homemade weight groups.
  • I've used soup cans (full, of course) and milk jugs full of water in the past. You could use 2 liter and 1 liter bottles, also, and that would actually be better than a milk jug.
  • There are a lot of body weight exercises you can do (like planks, squats, lunges, pushups, etc). I do weird stuff like move furniture around for no reason, I guess you could dust behind it if you really want to. If I find that some object I'm holding has a good amount of heft to it I sometimes lift with it a bit or hold it over my head for awhile or something like that. You can use almost anything as a makeshift weight (jugs, cans, chairs, small appliances, bricks, etc).
  • Quote: I do weird stuff like move furniture around for no reason, I guess you could dust behind it if you really want to.
    That's a good, practical suggestion. I like it!