Hi. I'm M and I'm ready to be healthy

• My name is M. Well no, it's not, but I'm a bit paranoid so for now that's all it is. I am turning 29 in 10 days and I am sick and tired of my weight. Currently 190, planning on making it to 145 (and we'll see from there). It has less to do with any personal vanity at this point than concern for my health. I know the older I get, the harder it will be to lose. I know that the older I've gotten, the more physical problems I've seen associated with my weight. Oh, and the rest of it is vanity. I am one of those "such a pretty face" girls and am ready to be a "full package" kinda gal. I am serious with my boyfriend and have nightmares of him proposing. I know for a fact that if I decide to lose weight for a wedding, it will all come back the minute the wedding ends. So I'm decided on a pre-emptive lifestyle change.

Recently I had a "straw that broke the camel's back" moment. I am fortunate to have a great career with some really special perks. Recently we were taken out to get a new pair of any jeans we wanted. I asked the lady to help me pick out a pair and she said," Your size? Probably upstairs. I can't help you." So, upstairs I went. Alone without my team, a little ashamed. It was a crappy situation and, frankly, I know there are jeans on that lower floor I would have loved and fit in, but for someone to call me out about my weight and send me to another floor...I felt so much shame. That was the end of it for me.

My friend gave me a WW book, so I'll be following WW. I have a private yoga class thursdays and saturdays, so that will continue. I am also hoping to find a way to incorporate another kind of activity, but am thinking that I'll have to find something that I can do at home or by myself without spending money (bike? Walking? I'm a cruddy runner).

So I decided to sign up here to keep myself honest and hopefully you all can keep me up during my slumps and I will do my best to be supportive for all of you.

And when I hit my goal weight, I will NEVER shop at that store again
  • Hi anonymouse,
    I'm so glad you are ready to lose weight at a young age. You have a year--you will be trim for your 30th birthday!
  • One of the things I've hated most about being overweight is that so many of the nice clothing manufacturers and many stores don't carry my size. I get frustrated at REI, for example, because it's like they don't think overweight people exercise or enjoy the outdoors. I can't find stuff in my size. For that reason, I shop online at Lands End or Athleta. Both have a pretty decent selection of clothing in sizes that fit me (I'm a loose 18 currently).

And yeah, on principle alone I wouldn't shop there again. That lady could have handled that SO much better. How about, "Oh, yes! Let me show you some jeans that will look wonderful on you!" and then she could have walked you upstairs and tactfully had another clerk help you if she really had to stay on that floor.
  • Quote: Hi anonymouse,
    I'm so glad you are ready to lose weight at a young age. You have a year--you will be trim for your 30th birthday!
    Thanks, eclectic, that's the goal!! Start my 30s off differently than any other year of my life - healthy and trim - and then keep it that way
  • Quote: One of the things I've hated most about being overweight is that so many of the nice clothing manufacturers and many stores don't carry my size. I get frustrated at REI, for example, because it's like they don't think overweight people exercise or enjoy the outdoors. I can't find stuff in my size. For that reason, I shop online at Lands End or Athleta. Both have a pretty decent selection of clothing in sizes that fit me (I'm a loose 18 currently).

And yeah, on principle alone I wouldn't shop there again. That lady could have handled that SO much better. How about, "Oh, yes! Let me show you some jeans that will look wonderful on you!" and then she could have walked you upstairs and tactfully had another clerk help you if she really had to stay on that floor.
    Thanks for replying! Yah, it is definitely frustrating to not fit into things I'd like to wear. And then I get into a cycle where I am uncomfortable in my own skin and have the intention of losing weight, so won't buy new clothes in anticipation. And then I just end up hating what I have and not wanting to see what size I'm going to be if I need something new.

And you nailed it - on principle alone, that store is dead to me. Forever.