My first runner's high?

• So I was just out running, and right now I've gotten to the point where I run one mile without stopping, and then alternate walking-running for the second mile. About a fourth of the way through my first mile, I'm thinking, "Oh this is gonna suck..." but once I got to the point of being almost done, I started realizing... that this wasn't that bad. My breathing had evened out. My legs were definitely feeling the aching that comes from running, but it was bearable. So I began to think, "Well, since i'm feeling so confident, why don't I go for the second mile without stopping?"
    And I did. My breathing stayed constant, it never got heavy. My legs continued to bear with the aching. It was as if it was all second-nature. I felt like I could run forever. 3 miles, 4 miles, on and on and on. I forced myself to stop because this month, for the sake of consistency, I decided my runs be for two miles. And when I stopped, my legs felt so confused, plus my breathing returned to being through the nose in less than two minutes. I'm not worn out from my run like I usually am.
    I'm so amazed, I can barely believe it. I wondered how runners could go for miles without needing to stop, but I guess once you're into it, it's not really that bad. I wasn't going at a record-breaking speed or anything, but I was running.
    I really hope this keeps up, because if it does, running won't be all that bad anymore. I may even go out more, and then of course, my weightloss as well as overall health will be on a high.
  • That's amazing! Congratulations! When you get to this point in running I feel like it becomes as much about therapy as it does about exercise. I find running very cathartic.

I think you were wise to stop though. Doing too much - no matter how great you feel - could cause you to overdo it and ruin the experience...but if you keep feeling really great at the end of 2 miles I see now reason why you can't increase the distance. You might even try doing a run/walk sequence for the 3rd mile to get your body used to the time on your feet.

Congrats again!
  • Congrats! It always feels great when you get to that point where you feel like you could run forever.
  • Thank you you two!
  • I know that feeling, but unlike you, i was unwise and kept going. I cycle for fun, and once I went for 60 miles, (20 over my normal) and my legs were all $#@&^%!E$@*&^!@$!!!! at me the next morning.

My personal trainer says "Strength comes easily, Endurance takes determination"
  • It takes longer than that for me (about 1/2 hour) but when I get the runner's high- it's euphoric. Nothing hurts, I feel like I could go forever. It's usually something I achieve after I've pushed through a wall of fatigue. It's my reward.

Not that I've had a runners high in some time...I haven't been running in a while.
  • Congrats...!!! Runner's "high" is awesome isn't it? Definitely keeps me coming back for more... takes me about an hour or so these days... and when I hit the 2 hour mark these days sometimes it feels like my feet aren't even hitting the ground!!! There really is nothing quite like it...