Beck Diet For Life/Solution – November 2012 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

You're on Page 4 of 14
Go to
  • Welcome debsweb
    debsweb

And, on the occasion of joining this month,

How did you find out about the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you find this Beck Forum on 3 Fat Chicks?
  • Welcome Wannabeskinny
    Wannabeskinny

And, in case you didn't get this three years ago,

How did you find out about the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you find this Beck Forum on 3 Fat Chicks?
  • Thursday
    Diet Coaches/Buddies - Did gym, CREDIT moi, by threading my way around a trainer and his trainee in order to do my dreaded lunges. Yay for small problems to divert the mind from real problems, LOL. We have an inch of snow on the ground so shoveling and scraping cars is in my immediate future.

Eating was on plan 100%, CREDIT moi. Good. I need more of those to get the thinking back on track. Evening snack was half a grapefruit which satisfies me more than about any other snack. After grapefruit, which I adore, my mouth doesn't want anything else. I'd do it every night of the year except they have a natural season. The coffee cake that we purchased for guests last Saturday still sits on the counter. I haven't touched it since then - a real accomplishment. In the past, I've toasted a slice for my afternoon snack if I'm around the house, but I haven't with this one. Slowly, my DW is making it go away. Yay for avoiding sweet baked stuff!

onebyone – Ouch for the pain of a new car acting up. It is so difficult to distinguish between a little problem and a big one without a bunch of experience. Good luck finding a car knowledgeable friend. Kudos for keeping the trip under control.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Kudos for posting when the old neurons want to two-step and you want the new dance. They will get the message again.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Yep, "Onward and upward!" is today's mantra. Election tension does raise the munchies - Kudos for keeping your path anyway.

HaleyJu - It is a challenge after an indulgence to get traction again. You've done it by posting. You can find a way to separate yourself from the stale left over Halloween candy and get to your path. Keep the faith.

Koala - Yep, "Onward and upward" is the way. It helps me to actively plan before social events even though I don't know what food will be available in advance. I gotta break that mentality that the abundance of special foods means that I'm to eat more calories than needed to fuel my day. [Haven't read any Colin Cotterill - I'll add him to my list. He's got a bunch of books available on Amazon. Oddly enough, Thirty-three Teeth is only on Kindle.]

luxy - It's always true that the most difficult time to post is when we need it the most. Kudos for coming here now. If you start the Pink Book anew you can be in sync with the others in the same place.

debsweb - Yep, you're absolutely on the right thread. We'll all agree to be your Diet Buddy and ask that you serve that role for us. Have you chosen your eating plan and exercise plan yet? Glad you've joined us.

Wannabeskinny - Love your example of your mom cutting back the day after Thanksgiving. It's easy for me to only notice people eating and to ignore when they're not. You can create your own new normal. Glad you've joined us.

Readers -
    Quote:
    chapter 8 Stage 5 The Motivation-for-Life Plan

Re-Motivation Plan

The following techniques will help you respond to your sabotaging thoughts.

Respond to your disappointment. Some dieters become disappointed when they realize that their maintenance weight is higher than they hoped it would be. They become less motivated, questioning whether they should have even dieted in the first place. This is an example of all-or-nothing thinking: Either I get to the weight I wanted (regardless of the fact that it was unrealistic in the first place) or I shouldn't have put in the effort to try at all. If this happens to you, ask yourself, Do I view either goals in this way? If you can't become the best tennis player or guitarist or runner, does it mean you shouldn't have taken it up in the first place? Of course not! Now, more than ever, you need to see what advantages you have achieved, or at least partially achieved. Even if you can't fit into the size you had hoped for, would you rather be limited to the clothes you were wearing before you started the Beck Diet for Life Program? Even if you haven't achieved every physiological benefit, would you trade your current state of health for what it used to be?

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pgs 194-195.
  • BillBlueEyes - I found the Beck Diet Solution while browsing at the book store one day. It's funny that I bought it because I don't usually buy or even look at self-help books. Maybe it was the pink color that attracted me. Maybe skimming it I thought that I could handle a plan that required me to do something every single day. I also enjoy writing which may be why it appealed to me.

But mostly I think it appealed to me because of the "think like a thin person" bit. I've always thought that I'm different from normal people and subscribe to the idea of "fake it till you make it."

Thanks for the welcome.
  • Hi folks... SO GLAD to be back online! It's been difficult. Didn't realize how much being online is an important part of my day. I've been able to check email at my neighbor's house. I had been using DH's business computer.. then IT starting having problems, too. The Geek Squad replaced my hard drive. It was still under warranty. However, it took so long and lots of phone calls to see the status.

I am doing OK - on plan again. I am grateful for that. I am one pound above my ticker weight. It's sometimes ok to maintain. I had some binge days.. but, finally was able to pull it together and have been writing down a plan, measuring, & loggin, drinking lots of water, do my stretches & strengthening, & have lots of healthy food in the house.

I will be back later, when I have time to read and catch up.

Billbe- hope you are safe from the next storm
    Wannabeskinny & debsweb - Welcome!
  • Hi,

Thanks for the colourful welcome
    I was recommended the book by a friend, and found this forum by a google search (beck diet buddy, or somesuch).

I haven't got started on the actual diet yet, or weighed myself (I'm happy to put that off!), but plan on calorie counting as that suits my lifestyle, and myfitnesspal makes it easy to monitor it.

One problem I'm finding is that I haven't got organised enough to remember to read the book every day, which I know is not good. Hopefully, being with others may help me here.

Regards,
    Debbie
  • now, if I could just remember to read my notes/cards, it might be helpful.........

Quote:
    November 8, 2012 - Think Thin Thursday Tip
    It’s not enough to read these Daily Diet Solutions once and expect them to make a big difference. What will make a difference is if you copy the ones that resonate with you onto Response Cards and read them every day. The more you read them, the more the ideas will get into your brain!
  • I recognized an old sabotaging thought. When I eat for comfort more than hunger, I'll have the thought "It won't be enough" before I've even started eating! That's how, in the old days, I would overeat one thing and already have a plan in place for overeating the next thing. I was so sure that the first thing wouldn't fully satisfy, that I already planned the second.

I had that thought as I was fixing a snack, combining two snacks and inventing something that was a close approximation of what I really wanted (my childhood favorite of pb&mayo sandwich). The thing is, the thought came while the bread was toasting. How could I know that it wouldn't be enough when I was still fixing it? And isn't that a horribly self-fulfilling prophecy sort of thought? As it turned out, when I opened my mind to the possibility, my snack was plenty. I had my snack and had many distracting things to fill the rest of the afternoon and evening until supper.

New response: My food plan provides plenty for me to eat and my life provides plenty for me to do. I am grateful. Think cornucopia.

WI: +0.3 kgs, Exercise: +40 375/1600 minutes for November, Food: 90% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Welcome, debsweb and Wannabeskinny!
  • This is the story of a Thursday in November
    Hi Coaches

I almost ate some of the food set aside for the foodbank today. After setting is aside last week it still hasn't made it to the foodbank. When DH gets home I am putting that stuff in the car. I have wanted to do it "right" = delivering it directly to the foodbank. But the foodbank had restricted drop off hours and I never make it.The grocery store however has a big drop off box that just sits there waiting for donations. I think that's what I have to do-drop it off there.

I weighed in this morning: 253lbs. I'm in the high end of my "usual" weight range. I'm getting more and more unhappy with the status quo. I had to open another packet of blood pressure pills today too. I had projected that by now I'd be off of them. I projected this last year when I joined WW on Nov 17th. I also projected that I'd be under 200lbs by my birthday which just passed. I didn't project a stall/maintenance period of over 5 months. I am grateful to be maintaining though, down 40lbs, give or take, from last year. Another 40lbs next year would be good too. 80lbs is more what I want, but I think I have to let these sorts of thoughts go. It's time for me to do something more. I have had zero exercise in my program, figuring-if I am truly honest here-that since I am still so heavy I can "get away" with not working out. That my big heavy body and moving it around is workout enough.This is not true now and really has never been. More to the point I feel *overwhelmed* by things right now and the mere *thought* of having to add something into my schedule just makes me want to do even less and to add FOOD into my schedule instead. I don't know how to turn my head around on this. Suggestions??

Bye for now

ps. my avatar shows Looloo licking Caesar's fur the wrong way. Caesar is very patient.
  • Hi Beckies - back to catch up.

Onebyone - I understand that temptation for eating the food bank donation food. I try to get things that aren't tempting. LOL

haleyju - I try write down 'read advantage cards/beck' in my journal. That way it reminds me and I get to check it off.

Billbe
    - great to pass up the coffee cake!! Credit. This along with a 100% op day is awesome. Carry on.

Bye for now!
  • Ack! I did a page of personals and lost it. Phooey.

Catch you tomorrow.
  • Friday - Chaos Never Dies Day
    Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi - normal meals and normal snacks. That's the good news part of the day.

The other news is that I broke my leg. Just broke it while walking down the stairs while simultaneously trying to show three things to my adult DS who was right behind me. Hoped that it was just a twist, albeit painful, but the X-ray shows a clear break of the fibula, not just one of those tiny cracks. Ouch. My exercise for the afternoon was waiting in the emergency room and re-learning how to use crutches so that the left foot doesn't touch the ground. It's more of an inconvenience as compared to the life threatening events some folks have, but it's a big one for me. Oh, Well.

onebyone – Ouch for unplanned food. Yep, gone from the house is easier. My take is that starting with a workout that you enjoy is more likely to lead to regular workouts. Do you have a wii workout that you like? One that would only take 10 for 15 minutes? (Looloo and Caesar convey the sense that they're in charge and you're the interloper, LOL.)

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Thanks for "It won't be enough" - I've tried to serve myself a rational portion of a snack and felt this wave of need to make it more even before the first bite. I'll recognize that as a Sabotaging Thought so I can conjure some Helpful Response before reaching into the container again.

Beverlyjoy – Welcome back on line. Hope your new hard drive got reloaded with your old stuff. I join you in the restricted mobility crowd. Once I get over being annoyed with myself, I'll ask if you have any tips on how to live and how to get exercise with restrictions.

HaleyJu - The brain does seem to like that reinforcement of reading the Advantages Card every day.

Debbie (debsweb) - It's such a neat part of the Beck strategies that we spend the first two weeks learning the skills before we start our eating plan. That was a fun two weeks - like I was getting away with something, LOL. Reporting here every day will help with the reading since you'll want to report progress along the steps.

Wannabeskinny - I, too, like the "think like a thin person" notion. Beck was useful for me by killing the idea that some people were naturally thin. Nope, they thought about food differently and, despite what they may say, adjusted their eating to compensate for their higher volume times.

Readers -
    Quote:
    chapter 8 Stage 5 The Motivation-for-Life Plan

Re-Motivation Plan

The following techniques will help you respond to your sabotaging thoughts.

Make a Response Card about dealing with stress. If old sabotaging thought about deserving or needing to eat when you are under stress resurface, make the following card:
    Stress is a normal part of life. It comes and goes. If
    I go back to coping with stress by eating, I will feel
    even worse. My stress will eventually diminish. When
    it does, do I want to be heavier?
    Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 194.
  • Feeling overwhelmed after a day of indulgence on carbs. I must be PMSing because I had a massive craving for chocolate, which I usually do not even like. I have Halloween candy and haven't touched it until yesterday. I had a bit of chocolate and then I threw the rest out so that's good.

Made pizza from scratch yesterday. It's very very thin crust so it's not that bad but still..... not feeling quite on the wagon today.
  • Oh Bill, so sorry about the leg. That's going to put a real cramp in your daily walks for quite a while. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
  • Hello Becksters/coaches/friends - I weighed today & am at my ticker weight. I am grateful. Yesterday was a healthy day & I am grateful for that too. My credits include: planning/measuring/logging food, lots of water, stretches & strengthening & posting. I am getting back into the 'Beck swing of things.' I will especially concentrate on eating seated only today, doing my journal work and reading my avantage/response cards.

I am giving myself credit for getting rid of the clothing from 50+pounds ago. It's 'hard' to get rid of them. But, now there's no going back. I sent them over the East Coast. I know there must be obese women who need clothing there. There's probably not alot of folks sending these sizes. The horrible storms and their fury was the thing I needed to give them away.

Tonight I am going to a 'candle party'. My neighbor is hosting as a favor to her good friend. It will be interesting, really. DH should come because he loves candles more than me. However, the neighborhood 'guys' are getting together to watch the kids and hang out while the ladies party on. I know my friend will have some veggie pizza. I am allowing myself one small piece and some veggies on the side. I will have my dinner salad before I go. I must remember that eating junk food is not an emergency. I really need to stay away from the sweets, however. Sometimes sugar is like a narcotic to me.... hard to stop when started.

billbe - oh my goodness! I am so, so sorry to hear of your broken leg! Huge credit for staying on plan despite the stress of all this. As for ways to exericise - I do have some ideas. You must check with your doctor or physical therapist first to make sure anything you do won't interfere with your bone's healing. That's essential. They have info on this. You can do lots of upper body work at this time while sitting in a chair with no arms. I use weights and those stretching exercise bands. My sister sent me something called: Chair Dancing... basically, it's exercise to music while seated. It seems kind of silly - but, it is moving and gives you lots of ideas. I do lots of stretches.. upper and lower body (you probably can't do lower - maybe on the other leg, check) . Another way to approach nonweightbearing exercises in to do them laying on the bed. No need to get up and down off the floor- leg lifts and more. Cardio is harder. Heal fast, friend.

wannabeskinny - kudo's on throwing away the candy! I sometimes even poor dish soap on a food tempting me.

gardenerjoy - thank you for this wonderful reminder."\: New response: My food plan provides plenty for me to eat and my life provides plenty for me to do. I am grateful. Think cornucopia.

debsweb - it is helpful for me to write down the reminder of reading advantage cards, response cards, etc right below where I write down my food plan for the day. It reminds me to actually do it. - and I'll check it off my list.

wannabeskinny - that 'think like a thin person' notion is so revealing. Yes, I am know I am different than many people when it comes to being around food, too.

Have a great day to all.