IP Daily Chat 10/24/2012

You're on Page 6 of 8
Go to
  • OMG, you guys. The weirdest thing happened today.

I can pass by a bowl of candy just fine now. I can pass by the plate of cookies in the kitchen at work, no big deal.

But today someone put out a fruit plate and I was walking around the place like a rabid dog. Seriously?! I mean, I like fruit and all, but it hasn't been something I've really missed (and I sure didn't eat a lot of it before IP anyway!) But OMG OMG OMG I have wanted some grapes and honeydew melon something FIERCE all day long now.

How can your tastes change when it's for something you're not even eating? lol
  • Quote: How can your tastes change when it's for something you're not even eating? lol
    I think I have a theory!

I watched bits and pieces of a special on PBS over the weekend, I think it was called "the Sugar Solution"- something along those lines. It was a talk given by Dr. Mark Hyman, and the point was if you cut out sugar, a lot of your health problems will resolve.

He made the point that eating empty calories leads to a cycle of binging, because your body is crying out for the nutrients it is not getting. So, I am going to guess that since you are giving your body the nutrients it needs, your brain has learned to distinguish between empty calories and nutritious calories (even if it's something you're not currently eating)
  • WI Wk3 2 1/2#, total so far 18#. Feel as if it is going well. My last two scheduled night shifts are TH and Fri 7p-7a. Start afternoons Monday at 3p-11p.
    Haven't had too much trouble with work nights it's the day after when I don't have to work that night. Looking forward to the more stable schedule.
  • I have officially gone completely alternative! Today was my first unofficial, non-office weigh-in. I missed last week because my scale hadn't came in. I'm down 7lbs these past two weeks, for a total of 16! Yes!

One thing I will miss by going alternative? Those delicious strawberry wafers. If my car wasn't near death, I would've stuck around with the official protocol for as long as I could.
  • Quote: Hey all!! Tomorrow will be my first WI. I started IP last Thursday. I am not too worried about my first WI, but I am having thoughts about the weeks to come.

Of course everything looks better to eat than what I am eating. Everyone eating around me is eating something so much better. Dang you carbs and sugar for tasting so amazing and causing us to have to give you up!

Is there some better ideas for recipes or ideas on the food ... most of the food I have had so far is pretty good, however some of the food is nasty!
    I have to tell ya, I am not one for packets b/c I love to cook! Here is the link to Rainbowsmiles recipes and let me just say, they are fabulous!! Be sure to check with your coach on any ingredients that you are unsure of, and make sure you stick to what is allowed. Some of the recipes I have seen have milk and my coach doesn't allow milk The crab cakes are the BomB!! and the homemade mayo isn't all bad either!

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BwW...URKU1JkMkdIMFk

• Quote: I think I have a theory!

I watched bits and pieces of a special on PBS over the weekend, I think it was called "the Sugar Solution"- something along those lines. It was a talk given by Dr. Mark Hyman, and the point was if you cut out sugar, a lot of your health problems will resolve.

He made the point that eating empty calories leads to a cycle of binging, because your body is crying out for the nutrients it is not getting. So, I am going to guess that since you are giving your body the nutrients it needs, your brain has learned to distinguish between empty calories and nutritious calories (even if it's something you're not currently eating)
    OH, good theory! I was just thinking that my palate isn't being overloaded all at one time so it can destinquish (sp) between the flavors...kinda like a cleansing.
  • Quick question...I got two of the new Strawberry Banana RTD smoothies today from my coach. She didn't mention that they are restricted, but 10 carbs makes them restricted, right? Am I totally forgetting something?

Thanks!
  • Quote: Quick question...I got two of the new Strawberry Banana RTD smoothies today from my coach. She didn't mention that they are restricted, but 10 carbs makes them restricted, right? Am I totally forgetting something?

Thanks!
    Subtract the 3g fiber makes them 7 carbs
  • Quote: Subtract the 3g fiber makes them 7 carbs
    Ahhh, perfect! Thank you! Stupid question...is that how you calculate net carbs?
  • Not a stupid question.
    There are many ways to calculate.
    Some people subtract sugar alcohols and other things.
    Simple is total carbs minus fiber = net carbs
  • Quote: I have officially gone completely alternative! Today was my first unofficial, non-office weigh-in. I missed last week because my scale hadn't came in. I'm down 7lbs these past two weeks, for a total of 16! Yes!

One thing I will miss by going alternative? Those delicious strawberry wafers. If my car wasn't near death, I would've stuck around with the official protocol for as long as I could.
    Get the Proti Diet vanilla wafers.

Put them in the freezer for a while before you eat them. OMG YUMNESS
  • Quote: Not a stupid question.
    There are many ways to calculate.
    Some people subtract sugar alcohols and other things.
    Simple is total carbs minus fiber = net carbs
    Thank you! Good to know on a low carb diet!

I'm glad they aren't restricted! They're so good!
  • Quote: Good morning, It's been a tough couple of days for me. An old friend from high school/college passed away yesterday after a battle with cancer. I live 6 hours away and it's hard to be so disconnected yet still feel connected. I hadn't seen her for several years but my best friend is one of her best friends so we stayed connected through her. Just not sure how to deal with this.

Also, my losses have been minimal so my coach gave me some much needed tough love yesterday. I have gotten lazy about measuring, so I'm documenting EVERYTHING like I did the first couple of weeks and measuring. That's probably what I needed, but I don't feel like it!

Also, I'm really struggling with getting food every 6 hours. I eat lunch at 12 and am seldom home by 6. THEN I have to start cooking 2 meals (mind & the family) So it's often 7 or 7:30 before we eat. Would it be ok to split my lunch and eat my IP item around 3:30?

Off to work where I won't be able to reply, I'll check in this evening and see if anyone responded to my questions. Thanks in advance!! Have a great day.
    I'm a newbie (on day 4) so this might not count for much, but my coach recommended having my evening IP snack in the late afternoon if I was going to have a later dinner or just couldn't handle that end of work day/just home and thinking about making dinner timeframe.
  • Quote: WI Wk3 2 1/2#, total so far 18#. Feel as if it is going well. My last two scheduled night shifts are TH and Fri 7p-7a. Start afternoons Monday at 3p-11p.
    Haven't had too much trouble with work nights it's the day after when I don't have to work that night. Looking forward to the more stable schedule.
    WTG!! Thats awsome!!
  • Quote: Hello everyone-

LoriKay and mightbe-I'm very sorry for your losses.

Wuv-Congratulations. Your story is amazing and inspirational. Not even one single cheat, not even by accident? I just realized that balsalmic vinegar is a no, and I've been using it everyday. On the bright side, now I know and can fix it!

Question: I just read that raw onions are ok, is this really true? Thanks!

Quick question
    Just started on IP. The phase 1 sheet my coach gave me says we can have raw onions.