How to get out cigerette odor ???

• HELP !!!!!! I bought 20 pieces of plus size clothing at a garage sale recently only to now find out that they smell like cigarette smoke BAD !!!!
    I have washed them several times. Is there a way you know to get this SMELL out of them ??? Does Febreeze work longggg term?? I have used it on other items.. but I think I will have to soak these clothes in it to get rid of the smell. YUCK !!!!
    Can anyone help me??
  • Febreeze does make an extra strength product that might be worth trying. Can you hang them outside on a clothesline for a few days? With the wind we have here today, I bet that would work! Good luck!
  • My MIL gave me an afaghan that she made. It stunk to high Heavens, too!! Of course, I really didn't want it, but my husband insisted that we keep it. I put it in a plastic blanket zippered bag along with two dryer sheets, closed it up and waited about 2 weeks: NO SMELL! absolutely no smell whatsoever. Worked like a charm and I din't have to wash it or anyhing--maybe that would help too! good luck!
  • Have you tried adding vinegar and baking soda to your washing machine, along with your regular detergent? Vinegar and baking soda work wonders to get your clothes clean, and also to take out smells.

Febreze should work too, but the vinegar and baking soda is a little less expensive so you may want to try that first. Don't worry, your clothes won't come out smelling like vinegar!
  • thank you for the great ideas.
    I am glad you mentioned the clothes would not smell like vinegar... I thought heck... that is trading one evil for another.
    I was told in another site to hang them outside in the rain too.
    I will give them all of try. Thanks again.