Weight loss and delayed dizzyness.

• Hi everyone.

I started losing weight 3 1/2 months ago and have gone from 310 lbs to 231 lbs which is a loss of 79 lbs. All has been fine until a few days ago, when I started getting 'dizzy' spells, and a lack of energy. Does anyone else have similar experiences, of any possible insights?

I am on a low calorie eating plan. eg.

Breakfast:

200g Yoghurt----------89cal
    1 slice rye/w'meal toast with a smidge of butter-----------90cal

Lunch:

soup and 2 slices of w'meal bread-----------------250cal
    or
    salad or chicken sandwich---------------?cal

Dinner:

grilled meat or fish with steamed veges------------?cal
    or
    grilled veges-----------------------?cal

I have some snacks between meals, (eg. an apple, and 1 or 2 carob coated ricecake bits)

I also walk 4-6 km per day. Sometimes up to 10-15km every now and again.
    Does this seem sufficient? I may be diabetic/hypoglycemic? , I havn't had any tests done yet though.

Thank-you
  • You are probably not eating enough. The dizziness is from low blood sugar but you really need to get checked by a doctor. 79 pounds in 3 months is way beyond the 1-2 pounds per week that is healthy to lose.
  • Im going to make a doctors appointment asap after the easter holidays. Until then i'm eating enough to maintain the weight that i currently am. I dont think I am getting all the nescecery vitamins & minerals that I need, so will probably have to take suppliments. Ill post my doctors results when I get them later in the week.
  • I would suggest a vitamin/mineral supplement. Sometimes dizziness can be caused by potassium deficiency. 79 pounds in 3.5 months is incredibly fast. Are you drinking plenty of water? I get dizzy when I am dehydrated. Hope this helps! Good luck! I hope you keep losing, but do be careful not to lose too fast!
  • I got the results from the tests today. Potassium, sodium, glucose, ect were all normal. The only abnormal thing was to do with my liver. The doctor thinks I may have jaundice (spelling) have to have more tests/ultrasounds next week. Sounds like the dizzyness may have nothing to do with my fast weight loss???????? Got to go.
  • I got really dizzy after losing just 40 pounds, but that's because my blood pressure improved so much that my cardiologist had to reduce my medication (yay!). This was the black-out kind of dizziness, not the spinning kind. Could it be your blood pressure? You need to check it often if you're on a very low calorie diet (I was, and it was under doctor supervision). I had to take potassium supps, as well as fish oil capsules (my hair was falling out). I also got weekly B12 shots in the arm (OUCH). You have to be very careful on diets under 900 calories.

Somehow I've managed to keep the weight off, but I would not recommend that unless you have emergency health problems and need to lose weight fast. I did - I was prediabetic and syndrome X. Now I'm totally healthy! Wooo. But you be careful, you hear me??? It was risky to lose even 3-4 pounds a week. I had to be screened for gall bladder trouble before they'd let me do the diet.
  • Oh, about the liver. I think one of the Fat Chicks has a jaundiced liver too, and doesn't drink alcohol. A jaundiced, or "fatty" liver without alcoholism is caused by obesity. I think when you lose the weight it will improve greatly.
  • Thanks Yaseta for you input. My blood pressure was high for my age ( 23 y o ) I think it was 140 over 90 or something similar. Its not as high as it use to be, because I havnt had a blood nose since I started losing weight. (I use to get them every week or so.)

My hair has been starting to fall out for the past few months so I will look into taking fish oil. (have to be carefull because alot of suppliments have been recalled over here in OZ due to a mess up in there ingredients or something.)

Im also going to do what i'm doing for a week or 2 and then for the next week or so eat enough so I maintain my weight, instead of loosing it all in one continuous stretch like I have been.
  • I have began to eat more normaly now (between 1200 and 2000 cal per day), and I have slowed down losing the weight. The thing is that I still have the dizziness, and an occasional burning sensation at the back of my neck. The thing is that I looked up 'phenylalaline' on the net, and found that it can cause a whole lot of side effects/symptoms, incuding dizziness, and vertigo etc.
    Ever since I started losing weight I have been eating foods with phenylalaline in them, and was wondering if that could be the culprit.