Premier Protein Bars - Alternative

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I just got back from Costco with some Premier Protein Shakes and Bars! Woo Hoo! The bars, though, look pretty high when it comes to carbs. Here are the stats:

Fat: 8g
    Carbs: 25g
    Fibre: 3g
    Sugar: 8g
    Protein: 30g

I'm thinking of just cutting them in half and eating half as my restricted for the day. That should work, right?
  • Last time I was at Costco I picked up the shakes but couldn't find the bars. Went to Trader Joe's and found Pure Protein Bars and thought those were the ones. Never realized they were different.

I could never half the bar..it would be calling my name from the refrigerator.
  • If a restricted item can has 9 or more net grams of carbs and yours has a total net carbs of 14.

25 less the fibre (3) and sugar (8) and you're left with 14 net carbs. 1/2 of that would be unrestricted.

Can someone confirm this! I'm still figuring out how to determine total carbs!!! TY!

But based on what I think I know 1/2 of the bar would be 7 net carbs.
  • If the sugars are just listed as "Sugar", that doesn't get deducted from the total carbs (it's ACTUAL sugar carbs). If it says "Sugar alcohols", those can be deducted.

I'd be leery of those bars not just because of the high carb but also the super high protein. IP bars range from 12-18g protein, those bars are almost twice that (they are probably designed for bodybuilders/athletes, not quite the same as what we need). This diet is pretty finely tuned for what we use it for, more is not always better even with protein.
  • I've used the Pure Protein bars from Costco and Target from day one, the 1.75 oz. size with 20 grams of protein. Trader Joes carries the bigger size (2.75 oz. and 31 grams of protein) which is way too big for IP.
  • Quote: If the sugars are just listed as "Sugar", that doesn't get deducted from the total carbs (it's ACTUAL sugar carbs). If it says "Sugar alcohols", those can be deducted.

I'd be leery of those bars not just because of the high carb but also the super high protein. IP bars range from 12-18g protein, those bars are almost twice that (they are probably designed for bodybuilders/athletes, not quite the same as what we need). This diet is pretty finely tuned for what we use it for, more is not always better even with protein.
    Tx for the clarification...one day I'll remember the formula!
  • Agreed- sugar alcohols can be deducted, sugar is just sugar. If you have the will power to cut a bar in half and save the rest for another day, that is your best option. Then they will be more in line with IP bars. Otherwise you may want to return them (if they are not opened) and go with a different bar. I have found Pure Protein (small bars) at Publix and Target. I have also found another bar called Supreme Protein, and they are quite tasty too and their numbers match up better to IP.

Also, if you do alternatives and don't mind shopping on line, at Nashua Nutrition, the Health Smart Peanut Butter bars are amazing. They taste like a reese's cup. And they are a little more in line with IP.
  • Quote: Agreed- sugar alcohols can be deducted, sugar is just sugar.

Also, if you do alternatives and don't mind shopping on line, at Nashua Nutrition, the Health Smart Peanut Butter bars are amazing. They taste like a reese's cup. And they are a little more in line with IP.
    I just added the HS PB Bars to my wish list (at Nashua Nutrition). YUM! Can't wait to add those to my next order! Tx!
  • OMG, you will love them! They are so good! Also, if you like chocolate / mint combo, the Weight loss systems cocomint cream pudding & shake mix is SO good. I never made it as pudding as I am not really a fan of pudding. But I made it as a shake all the time and it was delish.
  • Love mint and Chocolate!!! I'm adding that to my list too!! TY!!!!!!!!!!!! YUM!!!

I think you're the person i got the Proti-thin wafers recommendation from...OMG I can't have those in the house! I loved them toooooooooo much!!! They may be discontinuing them so I may get them a one more time...they are too good!!!
  • I just decided I'm going to make my next Nashua order when I commit to my next reboot. That way I'll order exactly what I need and won't gorge on them...and I can always use my Pure Protein bars and muscle milk as b/u! (I'm currently loving my low cal muscle milk chocolate with 2 cups spinach for lunch...I have it every day for lunch!!!
  • I asked on another thread about the extra protein because the premier protein shakes are 2 net g carbs and 30 protein. I love them but am a bit worried about so much protein. Do you think it's an issue? 3 shakes a day would be my whole protein allowance.... hmmm.... but at only 6 carbs...??
  • The issue with eating too much protein is that it can tax your kidneys more than they already are on this diet. There's definitely a range of protein grams we can have without an issue (it's not like if you eat 90g you're ok but 91 is bad), but it's hard to say where the "too much" threshold is for each person.

We also need to make sure we are eating the whole protein every day - if you get your entire protein intake just from the products, you aren't getting the needed enzymes in whole protein sources.
  • Quote: I just got back from Costco with some Premier Protein Shakes and Bars! Woo Hoo! The bars, though, look pretty high when it comes to carbs. Here are the stats:

Fat: 8g
    Carbs: 25g
    Fibre: 3g
    Sugar: 8g
    Protein: 30g

I'm thinking of just cutting them in half and eating half as my restricted for the day. That should work, right?
    Next time you are in Costco check out the Detour bars. They are lower in carbs.
  • Quote: Love mint and Chocolate!!! I'm adding that to my list too!! TY!!!!!!!!!!!! YUM!!!

I think you're the person i got the Proti-thin wafers recommendation from...OMG I can't have those in the house! I loved them toooooooooo much!!! They may be discontinuing them so I may get them a one more time...they are too good!!!
    Oh dear, where did you hear that they may be discontinuing them? They are good and seem to be very popular.