Alternative Reviews Vol 1

You're on Page 3 of 29
Go to
  • Atkins choc almond coconut bar & brownie bar OMG !
  • Quote: I am not in love with it, but it is pretty good. It kind of has that fake vanilla taste of an old fashioned McD's vanilla milkshake- but not quite as good, natch. Better than most vanilla RTD's- I usually stay away from anything other than chocolate, because even though I usually love vanilla generally, the chocolate does a better job of covering the protein taste.

I think I am going to try to make iced coffee with it tomorrow morning, we'll see how that goes. It's a shame you have to commit to 18 of them- but since you are a coffee person, even if you don't like them straight, I think it would make a good creamer.

They are definitely worth trying!
    Thanks! That was kind of what I was thinking- vanilla protein shakes have never been my thing, even though I love vanilla. They just don't hide the protein taste so much. Oh well, you're right, I'll try them in coffee if I don't like them!
  • I tried the Proti-Diet Honey Oat cereal - it was actually pretty good! A little sweeter than I'd like but still felt like "real" breakfast. It doesn't have powdered milk in it like the IP crispy cereal, so I put a couple of ounces of my Pure Protein vanilla creme RTD shake as "milk" - VERY yummy, and it's unrestricted!
  • Hey everyone,
    I have a question. I really want to start this diet but find it really expensive. I have done my research. I wanted to start the alternative method but have no idea where to start or how to start. Was wondering if anyone would like to help me or walk me through it. Also if the weight loss is the same. I have about 25 lbs-20 lbs to lose. Would really appreciate the help.

Thanks
  • The alternative reviews threads are full of great info on alternative products and where to order - there are lots of pages but when I decided to switch I read through them all! I haven't noticed any difference in my weight loss since switching to mostly all alternatives.
  • Proti-diet blueberry pancakes.....GROSS. Spongy and tasteless
    Healthsmart caramel brownie is okay but very sweet especially since I haven't had anything sweet in weeks. Got some variety packs, so will keep updating
  • Quote: Atkins choc almond coconut bar & brownie bar OMG !
    Yum! Love coconut. Definately have to try
  • Quote: Hey everyone,
    I have a question. I really want to start this diet but find it really expensive. I have done my research. I wanted to start the alternative method but have no idea where to start or how to start. Was wondering if anyone would like to help me or walk me through it. Also if the weight loss is the same. I have about 25 lbs-20 lbs to lose. Would really appreciate the help.

Thanks
    Hi and welcome

Alternatives can be done, but it takes reading and research and comparisons, not only the nutritional label, but ingredients. Watch for things like aspertame that you want to stay away from.

Start at the beginning of this thread. Wuv has put the link to the previous thread that full of great info on different products. A couple more posts down on the first page is attached a spreadsheet that compares IP and a lot of the different brands. That helps give an idea on what would be comparable to what you would get at an IP center. The first sticky on the forum at the top will list the IP phase sheets. Be sure to scroll down into the thread and get the latest, they are occasionally revised.

I was on IP only for 3 months and switched to alternatives 5 months ago. I don't see much difference is my losses.

You can make this work. The trade off for the cost of IP is alternatives take comparisons and study, where IP is all planned out. No thinking, no worries about is this okay or not. Your choice.

Hope this helps. Come back to the forum all the time. Always new and great info here.

Molly
  • I've been on some sort of IP/alternative hybrid since Labor Day, and the products I've had so far:
    HealthSmart Peanut Butter Crunch -- good but not so good you want to eat the whole box. With such a variety of bars out there I might not order these again, but not because they're not good!
    Proti-thin Choc covered Soy Snack -- same as IP for sure. Delicious!
    Proti-thin Sweet roll mix -- My go to breakfast. So good. I'll add 1T of Choc Dip when I feel like it. I could eat these forever, and they're one of the few alternatives I've found with 18g of protein (like most IP packets) instead of 15g. Molly (Wingnut) - thank you for this one!
    ProtiDiet Chicken Noodle Soup -- I didn't really like it as soup, but it's my favorite as a flatbread (just roll the pack like the cereal for pancakes with a rolling pin).
    Weight Loss systems pudding choc chip w/marshmallows - Really good as a pudding or as a flatbread/cupcakes (since these have only 15g of protein instead of 18 I don't mind using 1 egg white to make something with them)
    Weight Loss systems Cheesecake pudding -- WOW...another Molly favorite that I stole (I think we might have the same tastes). SO so so good if you put it in the freezer for 20min or so before you eat it
    ProtiDiet Tomato Soup -- I've actually not eaten this as soup, only as flatbread. Good, but I like the Chicken noodle better...
    Weight Loss Systems Pudding & Shake - Hazelnut Cocoa Cream -- it's certainly not bad, but not as good as the IP shake...there's a more chemically taste to it.

My next order I think I will get the Healthsmart Maple Brown sugar oatmeal (for cookies), the ProtiDiet chocolate dream bars (Nestle crunch, yes!), maybe the Healthsmart golden delicious pancake mix, as well as some more of the items above!
  • Quote: Proti-thin Sweet roll mix -- My go to breakfast. So good. I'll add 1T of Choc Dip when I feel like it. I could eat these forever, and they're one of the few alternatives I've found with 18g of protein (like most IP packets) instead of 15g. Molly (Wingnut) - thank you for this one!

Thanks for remembering my recommendations. Let me add. I have been taking the Sweet Roll mix and adding 2 tsp of coconut oil and 1 tsp of baking power and 2 packets of splenda and enough egg white to make it into a cookie consistency and putting on parchment paper and flattening them down and baking at 350 for about 7 minutes. Great breakfast cookies. I have yet to take the time to make Rainbow's tofutti icing. Maybe tomorrow since it's Saturday.

Weight Loss systems Cheesecake pudding -- WOW...another Molly favorite that I stole (I think we might have the same tastes). SO so so good if you put it in the freezer for 20min or so before you eat it

Try drizzling chocolate, strawberry, or raspberry syrup over the cheesecake, it's like a piece of cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory. mmmmmm
    I have not tried anything new lately. Just hate to buy a box and find I don't like them.

Molly
  • Ok Molly!!! I'm going to try the cheesecake pudding after this review!! YUMMY sounding!!
  • Quote: Ok Molly!!! I'm going to try the cheesecake pudding after this review!! YUMMY sounding!!
    Make sure you buy the Weight Loss Systems. Some other brand makes one and it's JUST a pudding. This tastes and has the texture of real cheesecake.

Molly
  • Quote: Make sure you buy the Weight Loss Systems. Some other brand makes one and it's JUST a pudding. This tastes and has the texture of real cheesecake.

Molly
    i have tried so many puddings...and they mostly all at yuk!! does this one have a strong taste like the IP puddings?? i even tried the dixie dinner one and didn't like it! oh well, i keep searching!!
  • Quote: i have tried so many puddings...and they mostly all at yuk!! does this one have a strong taste like the IP puddings?? i even tried the dixie dinner one and didn't like it! oh well, i keep searching!!
    I still have your address, I'll mail you an envelope. Want to try anything else?

Molly
  • Quote: Make sure you buy the Weight Loss Systems. This tastes and has the texture of real cheesecake.
    Molly
    I bought the HealthSmart Cheesecake Pudding mix.... The only way I could eat it was made into a shake with pumpkin pie spice added to it. Next order from Nashua I'll get the Weight Loss System one.