what was your biggest gain in a year?

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • im pretty ashamed of the 40 lbs i gained in a year before restarting. wondering what other peoples worst year looked like?
  • 28 pounds was my worst. It was so frustrating because at the beginning of the year, after working do hard, I had managed to get to my lowest weight ever, and throughout the year I put it all back on and then some.
  • Probaly 30 lbs I'm honestly not 100% sure
  • Mine matched yours. 40 pounds. Maybe it's the regional water supply?
  • 50! It took me about 9 months to lose that 50, then I put it ALL back in in LESS than a year!

If you count one of my pregnancies -- I had lost down to 175 then gained 20 before getting pregnant then 43 during my pregnancy for a total of 63 pounds in less than a year. BUT since pregnancy is expected to add weight I don't know if that quite counts.
  • I honestly don't know! I weighed 180 before college and was 240 for my first pregnancy, but that was a three year gap. I honestly don't know when I gained what, but I'm assuming most of that came on between dating and baby (which was a year and a half).

I didn't weigh or have any real inkling of my size for several years, I honestly have no data before I began this journey, and I haven't had a regain of more than ten pounds during the course of it since. Occasionally I get lazy and start sliding up the scale but I always catch myself early and fix it, which makes things easier
  • Quote: Mine matched yours. 40 pounds. Maybe it's the regional water supply?
    hahahahaha! yes! lets blame them over at American Water!
  • Quote: 50! It took me about 9 months to lose that 50, then I put it ALL back in in LESS than a year!

If you count one of my pregnancies -- I had lost down to 175 then gained 20 before getting pregnant then 43 during my pregnancy for a total of 63 pounds in less than a year. BUT since pregnancy is expected to add weight I don't know if that quite counts.

i dont really count pregnancies, thats a different story. isnt it amazing how FAST you can gain it back?
  • Quote: i dont really count pregnancies, thats a different story. isnt it amazing how FAST you can gain it back?
    It's very frightening how fast you can gain it back! It was like that November I was in the 140s and by that August I was in the 190s. And for no other reason than my insane eating! My gosh it just makes me cringe!
  • I'm not sure but I do know over a period of threee months back in 1998 I went from my pants fitting well to not being able to put them on.
  • I gained 50 pounds my freshman year in college. I had gotten my weight down for my senior year of highschool through a low cal, high protein diet (lots of boiled eggs and greenbeans) but that first year in college it was eating out for every meal. A regular day would be McDonald's for breakfast, a medium pepperoni and sausage pizza with extra cheese for lunch, stuffed burritos for dinner and a quart of ice cream for dessert plus snacks. It was crazy and I was unrecognizable by relatives and others who hadn't seen me in a year because I gained so quickly. I did lose about 30 pounds the following year but college was really the start of my weight being out of control.
  • I lost 50 pounds in 1997-1998. As soon as I hit the 50 pound mark, something snapped (I now realize that lack of sleep was a HUGE part of it - I had a baby who didn't sleep, was working out of the home, commuting 2 hours every day plus the job 40 hours a week, my mother in law was half living with us as she was moving to the US and needed to get set up and my husband was doing his PhD in a very rigorous program at Wharton. I was trying to do it ALL and I fell apart - I was barely sleeping and survived on sugar - basically).

I think I gained 70 or 80 in one year. I kid you not. I'm not sure... All I know is I went from 185 to 275 - 90 pounds in 3 years, but most of it was the first year... probably 70.

I fortunately have learned the biggest lesson for me - sleep is crucial CRUCIAL. Every major weight gain I've ever had was during times I had little/bad sleep. That time there and when my second son was a baby until 3 years old (who I now know is autistic) He woke up 5-7 times a night - every single night until he was 3 and he couldn't resettle. Some nights he was up half the night, which meant I was up half the night, and then from ages 3-4 it slowly dwindled... I think that's when my health all went to H-E-Double toothpicks. He's now 7.
  • the biggest weight gain ive had was about 60 pounds when i was pregnant with my son at age 19...i was poor, ate like crap, ate junk food, and was morning-sick constantly...the biggest weight gain i've seen aside from pregnancy was about 25-30 pounds a few years ago over the holidays, when i decided to start this current health journey
  • I honestly have no idea. I didn't pay attention to it at all as a child/teen, but I remember weighing in at 220 when I was 17. Both of the significant gains I've had since were from pregnancies. Come to think of it, I think I gained it all rather slowly. The 220s seem to be like a stair landing for me, though. I keep getting here again and I don't struggle to maintain it.
  • Oh yeah I did it
    I gained 80 pounds in a year.