Increased hunger-week 9 IP?

• Hi all-

I am nearing the end of week 9 and all of a sudden I have become extremely hungry (especially before noon). I could eat my days worth of food before 11am.

I have been 100% OP, usually eat at the same time each day, similar foods each day, and probably drink more water than recommended. I use my sea salts, oils, etc. TOM is not for 2 weeks.

The only change is that I have gone to the gym 3 times this week. Nothing crazy just two days of 30 minute elliptical and some weights and 1 day of a 45 minute kick boxing.

Could I have come out of ketosis somehow? Should I incorporate an extra packet on gym days? Should I just suffer through?

Thanks!
  • I've had the same problem during week 6
    Hungry, hungry, hungry!!!!!

I changed up my meals and that seemed to help.

So, instead of my dark chocolate shake with spinach, I had a maple oatmeal pancake with zucchini

Instead of a soup with pureed veggies at lunch, I had a potato puree wrap stuffed with mock potato salad

I drank Mio lemonade to get me through the afternoon-hungries instead of having my restricted in the afternoon.

And I had orange drink or pink lemonade as my snack after dinner

Making a change has seemed to help.

"they" say the hungries come before a whoosh! Let's hope so!
  • I know a lot of people say that when you're in ketosis you're not supposed to be hungry, but I'm in ketosis, and I get hungry at times(and not just mentally hungry, as I check for that). I do need to play more with the timing of my meals/veggies though.

Since you are working out, it's good to add in another packet. Check the different exercise threads, and there will be tons of info for you.
  • Quote: Hi all-

I am nearing the end of week 9 and all of a sudden I have become extremely hungry (especially before noon). I could eat my days worth of food before 11am.

I have been 100% OP, usually eat at the same time each day, similar foods each day, and probably drink more water than recommended. I use my sea salts, oils, etc. TOM is not for 2 weeks.

The only change is that I have gone to the gym 3 times this week. Nothing crazy just two days of 30 minute elliptical and some weights and 1 day of a 45 minute kick boxing.

Could I have come out of ketosis somehow? Should I incorporate an extra packet on gym days? Should I just suffer through?

Thanks!
    You absolutely need an extra packet within 30 minute after finishing exercise. The diet is so low calorie, you need to give your body some extra fuel to recover after exercise so that it doesn't start attacking your lean muscle mass. If you are still feeling overly hungry after adding the packet you may also need to add half a bar/restricted an hour or so before exercise to give your body some carbs to work with. I don't do anything more intensive than an easy walk with my kids for 20-30 minutes and I still add a shake when I get home.
  • Thank you for your input. I have WI#9 tomorrow and I'd really like to see results. If it is a whoosh thing, I am OK with the hunger, lol!!!
  • Quote: Thank you for your input. I have WI#9 tomorrow and I'd really like to see results. If it is a whoosh thing, I am OK with the hunger, lol!!!
    If your clinic does Body comp too, see if your lean muscle mass % has changed too - if you've lost less than 4 pounds and still see a drop in LMM, that is definitely an indicator that you need the extra fuel with your workouts.
  • I had the same problem when I went back to work, I was starving and losing lean mass. My coach had me add an extra packet and a hard boiled egg and it has really helped.
  • great I will talk to him about this. Last week my BF% went up despite losing 1.4lbs. He said it probably was just water. I dont recall the LMM #. Generally I lose less than 2lbs per week. I'm fine with that...still better than when I tried weight watchers! I just want to be sure that I am maximizing the benefits of the program.
  • I am in week 5 and I get hungry at least 3 or 4 times per week. I hate it when it happens because I then have a brief feeling that I want to quit and give up. BUT.... I stick with it and lo and behold, the hungries eventually go away and I am happy and satisfied again. I do drink extra water and all of that, but I also wonder if somehow I must be going out of ketosis. I may one of the unlucky ones that is very sensitive to carbs, so it puts me over the edge.