Exercise in the morning when you're not a morning person?

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • I'm not a morning person either. Never thought I would want to workout early, but I started doing it recently. What worked for me was saying I couldn't eat breakfast until I worked out. I gotta have my breakfast pretty quickly so it motivates me to workout and get it over with. And I've discovered that I really like getting my exercise done so early. It makes me feel good and motivates me to stay more on track throughout the day.
  • Mornings will never happen...not in this lifetime.
  • Ok. Got my alarm set. My new position for the phone. And 2 puppy dogs sharing the bed (until my husband comes in lol). Wish me luck! 530 is in 7 hours.
  • It is great to see you trying to get back in the game! Best of luck and do let us know how you get on.
  • I exercised in the evening after work for th first 2.5 years of my process. Over the last 6 months I switched to a morning workout (am sipping coffee now waiting to be awake enough to drive to work, where my gym is). I never - and I mean never - thought I would be able to be a morning exerciser. I am a firm believer in "the best time to exercise is the time you actually will do it." however, you might have a reason you want to switch to a morning schedule, as I did.

I made the change because the evening schedule was hard on my partner. I was getting home quite late - it's not easy for me to knock off work at a specific time every day; if I'm getting something done I'd rather just keep working on it. And so between getting myself out of work, getting the workout, and getting home, it could easily be 8:30 or 9 before I was serving dinner (I do the cooking here). That was fine with me but tough on my partner, who got very hungry - and consequently very grumpy and unpleasant to be around - even if she tried to eat a snack in the early evening.

So I volunteered to try switching to the morning, just to regularized our dinner time a little earlier. My partner, like me, hadn't thought I would ever be a morning exerciser. But I wanted to try to fix the evening problem. I said I would commit to doing it for a month and see how difficult and painful it was.

Once I committed for that reason, it just became a matter of discipline. Now it was something I had to do, so I did it. Sure I would have preferred to sleep in the morning but I just got up and made coffee and got on with my day because I had committed to doing that.

After a month I had got used to it. I still don't go to bed as early as I should given that I am now getting up at 6, but i stayed up too late before, too. And sleep evens itself out - after a few nights of not quite enough sleep I am too tired to stay up late anyhow!

In short, my advice - just like you do with your eating plan, if you have a reason to want to exercise in the morning, then commit. Commit to the change for a month, no matter what. At the end of the month, evaluate and see whether it's something you just can't sustain, or it's not so bad after all.
  • Maybe you could set just a 10min workout for the morning, and you'd be more inclined to do it. That's what I'm doing at the moment, and slowly increasing if I feel good.
  • I love exercising in the morning, I work pretty late and since I do it in the morning I don't have to drag my exhausted self to the gym at night. I find works best because I take a class - the Bar Method - which I have to sign up for, so I'm literally locked in to going, no excuses.
  • I hate working out in the morning, but I woul like to try it.

It's easier when you just do it and get the workout over with. Right now, I end up working out at 8 pm earliest. And after my workout I feel som much more relaxed. I'd like to have that feeling in the morning.
  • This whole thread has inspired me to try it as well. I am such a night owl that I am a night shift person. I work from 7pm to 8am so working out in the morning is actually my evening and vice versa. I tried working out after work but I am just too exhausted. Working out BEFORE work just might be the added kick I need.
  • Hang in there, it takes 21 days to form a habit. It should get easier...I hope