Sweets

• Does anyone else battle intense sweets cravings? Any tips on curbing those cravings?? Thanks!!
  • All the time. I am a dessert, sweet food, candy addict. The way I deal with it is my incorporating it in healthy ways. Like cutting bananas in half length wise, then cutting them in half. Then I dip them in a small amount of melted dark chocolate and freeze them. This way I get my chocolate fix while also eating bananas. With them being frozen, it also takes longer to eat.
  • I have found that eating something every 2 hours, religiously, has curbed my sweet tooth. I too am a sugar addict. Have been at this for a little over 8 weeks. Have not had one single sweet thing. No cake, no candy, no cookies -no nadda. Even around my TOM (when it is always the worst) I have found that I do not crave sweets anymore. Its a simple equation. Keeping your blood sugar up (eating every couple of hours) does not allow your body to dip ever... therefore the cravings have been curbed. It is crazy for me to be typing this to you as my office always has something sweet and I never thought I could say these things to anyone. In fact there is a girl who keeps her drawn stocked for everyone. Amazingly enough I have not stopped by in 8 weeks. Believe me I understand how hard it is, but when your body is working right it does not actually crave what it shouldn't. Its more mental and that part... well only you can do the work on that. If having something like those bananas and chocolate (which sounds amazing) works - then you have to find something like that which will work into your calories or carbs or whatever it is your counting. I started freezing crystal light in the very begining so I could have a popsicle. I was afraid I would need it. It lasted about a week and then I really didn't even miss that.
  • Great suggestions. Thank you!
  • The less sugar I eat, the less I want it. It's that simple for me, which is saying something because I could eat nothing but sweets (and have).
  • I actually just don't give in to the temptation...I don't keep many sweets around and that seems to help. I just imagine that only the most delicious chocolate cake with icecream will do and since I don't have that around, I don't eat anything...after a while I stop craving sweet stuff
  • Sugar is my #1 problem. I am emotionally attached to sugar because of how I was brought up. I found cutting it out entirely was the only way to really rid myself of the cravings. I miss it a lot sometimes - but only when I see it! ...Instead, because I've been eating so healthy, things like fruit and yogurt have become sweet enough for me!
  • I have to rely on fake substitutes like Stevia (not sure if that's fake), Splenda, diet soft drinks. I know, not "natural," but I still need a crutch to help me once in a while. I will eventually get off of diet drinks. Maybe.

I also take hits of Redi Whip fat-free at 5 cal/serving (don't laugh).
  • I have yummy chocolate brownie and apple pie protein bars that are low sugar that serve as my sweet fix! I also love slooowwwwly eating an apple with a knife. Or baking cinnamon apples in the microwave!
  • Emotional attachment
    My worst issue is with the emotional attachment. Even when I don't want sweets, I feel compelled to eat them. One of the books I read suggests that when you decide to ban sweets from your diet, go ahead and experience a period of mourning for the loss. I wonder if I should stage a funeral, too?
  • I find I crave sweets when I'm stressed and tired. Exercising and getting a proper sleep schedule really helps.