My New Obsession - Homemade Chana Masala

• I am IN LOVE with this Chana Masala recipe from Smitten Kitchen:

http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2010/02/chana-masala/
    To bump up the veggies, we usually toss in 2 cups of chopped cauliflower and 2-3 cups of roughly chopped kale with the chickpeas. It takes an already-healthy meal and pushes it over the top. Then we serve over brown jasmine rice, and basically devour it.

If you haven't cooked Indian before, don't be intimidated! Just buy the spices and give it a shot.
  • Looks delicious! I love Indian food and I am so trying this. Thanks!
  • This looks easy enough! Although I found in India that they tend to under-cook lentils for my taste, so maybe add a bit longer for the simmer! I'm going to have to try this- thanks!
  • Tonight, we served it over quinoa instead of brown rice. So good and so darned healthy.
  • Made this tonight with a yogurt marinated chicken. So delicious! Thanks for the recommendation!
  • I so want to try this! I will buy the ingredients this weekend. I have half of the spices but need to buy the other half. I love Indian food but to order in is expensive and more so to go out to a decent restaurant. And it is sooo oily out. I can't wait to try it and DH should love it too. Thanks.
  • I love Indian food; I'll have to try that recipe out. I've got paneer tikka masala on the menu for next week.
  • Lauren, glad you like it, and Plucky and Beck, let me know what you think! It has continued to be included in our menu weekly.
  • Yum. I have made this several times now and it has become a weekly staple. I also up the veggies and have added cauliflower, okra, cabbage and grated carrots depending on what veggies I had on hand.

I found having all the spices including the amchoo powder makes the dish.

I have also served on a bed of roasted butternut squash

Thanks for posting.
  • I finally made this tonight - so good! I added cauliflower and spinach, and topped it with plain Greek yogurt for more protein. Thanks for sharing!
  • The Smitten Kitchen recipe sounds great. If you have never had this dish before and have a Trader Joe's near you they started carrying a frozen version. It was being sampled the other day and tastes like this recipe sounds. It is so hearty that I would also add vegetables as mandalinn82 (OP) does. You might give it a try before investing in the ingredients. I will be heading to the Indian store for the spices shortly
  • Thank you for sharing; it looks great! Do you think it freezes well?
  • By the way found amchoo powder at Walmart.

I still love this dish.
  • Wow, this is exactly what I have been craving lately! I can't wait to try it, thanks so much for the recipe. Indian food isn't exactly "natural" all the time. Or if it is, it is loaded while oils and lards. So tasty though..