Electrolyte Powder Question

• I bought a few packets of electrolyte powder from the health food store to try. I added it to my water before starting my workout. I felt fine during the workout, it tasted good etc. When I got home, I felt sick and bloated and had a hard time eating dinner. Is this normal or just a fluke? I had a light snack over an hour prior to exercising so I don't think it was that. Should I add the powder to my water after my workout and just drink plain water during?

I will add that there are zero calories and no sugar in this product.
  • what brand?

i use a tonne of electrolytes, but i mean, how much do you sweat? i only use it because of rigous exercise.

but aside from that, it shouldnt have any effect whatsoever. no feeling effect, no performance effect etc.
  • I workout 4-5 days a week, 3 of those with a trainer so my workouts are intense and I do sweat A LOT. I think it was maybe a fluke and nothing to do with the powder. I will check the brand, I don't have any one me.
  • Honestly, you're probably okay with plain water unless you are exerting heavily for over an hour, IMHO.
  • Quote: Honestly, you're probably okay with plain water unless you are exerting heavily for over an hour, IMHO.
    i agree.

if you do feel like you need a little something something, i highly suggest you eat a pickle, or drink a little 35 cal juice box of coconut water.

personally, i use electrolytes because of bikram, which is done in 40 degrees (celcius) 60% humidity, for 90 minutes, i practice approximately 25 hours a week, and use electrolytes less then 3 times a week, i do eat high sodium because of this need to remain hydrated. i also drink about 3-5 litres of water a day.

the reason why i suggest other methods of hydration are because your body gets used to the added salt from electro powder, and may cause you to become dependant on it- aka releasing all the salt, because it knows its getting more. essentially, you know you are dehydrated if you are a) peeing dark yellow, even when you're drinking 3+ litres of water OR drinking a glass of water, and need to pee nearly immediately (within 10 minutes).

but this is just coming from personal experience.

if you do choose to go the electrolyte route, i highly suggest emergen-c, or nuun. i personally highly perfer nuun.
  • Thank you ladies. I do work out 90mins per day and I do sweat a lot, but I tried the powder again last night and I felt icky so I am just going to stick to water. I noticed I am not peeing as much after drinking water with the powder, but with plain water, I eliminate more fluid. I certainly don't need to be hanging on to water, especially with my blood pressure medication.