Starting a new "craving" low-cal recipe notebook!

• My new hobby is to find ways to please my cravings (at least, most of them) by experimenting in the kitchen and looking online for low-calorie and healthy alternatives. I'm hoping that by the end of end of the year, I'll have an excellent cookbook!

Two starters: peanut butter cup oatmeal (chocolate protein powder, a bit of pb, mixed into oatmeal), and protein packed ranch dressing (blended cottage cheese with some water and ranch dressing powder packet). I also saw today the recipe for big-mac in a bowl, and will have to add that!

Anyone want to contribute? What are you fav low-cal versions of their favorite foods?
  • I still like this blueberry muffin recipe I tweaked. I've substituted the blueberries with other fruits and made other muffins. I had some REALLLLYYYY ripe bananas recently and my brothers begged me to make some low-cal muffins with them (they're both watching what they eat now ). Two bananas instead of the blueberries made some nice tasting muffins!

Quote: Alright, these aren't like, SUPER low calorie or anything, but I modified a whole wheat blueberry muffin recipe and made some pretty large muffins for less than 250 calories each!

I had to share this with you all because my family LOVED them (There are only two muffins left and I made them today!!). We all go nuts for blueberry muffins but haven't had them in a while because they are off the charts calorie-wise. Everyone missed them.

I stumbled across this recipe on tumblr and I tweaked it so that the muffins are less calories.

I used a big muffin tin and made six muffins. Thus, ~250 calories each (less really). If you use cupcake tins and make smaller ones (you'll wind up with 12) they will be ~125 calories each.

Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins
    1 large Egg
    1/2 cup 2% Milk
    1/2 cup Applesauce
    1 1/2 cup Whole Wheat Flour
    1/2 cup Honey
    2 tsp Baking Powder
    1/2 tsp Salt
    1 cup Blueberries

Directions
    Preheat oven to 400 degrees

Mix all ingredients together sans blueberries. Once everything is mixed, pour blueberries in and mix gently. Batter should be lumpy—use a spoon, not a mixer!

Bake for 25-30 minutes if you use larger muffin tins, less time if you use cupcake tins.

I put the recipe on calorie count: http://caloriecount.about.com/whole-...ecipe-r1045890

Here's the nutritional information for a large muffin. Halve it if you make in a cupcake tin.

So yes, high in sugar and carbs but certainly a nice treat that isn't crazy high in calories
  • Thanks sontaikle! Sounds good!