Obesity... And short hair?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Hi everyone,
    I haven't really kept up to date with this site, but I have a question. I'm considering cutting my hair pretty short, but I'm not sure how it would look with my body, and I want to know what you guys think. I'm 240lbs and 5'7.

This is what I currently look like:
    http://i.imgur.com/JRTmF.jpg

This is the hair style that I am seriously considering:
    http://i.imgur.com/gZpMM.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/gm4tx.jpg

I want to know if you guys think this hair style will look good on me or not? Or if you have other suggestions for hairstyles that might look good, that would be great too! I don't want a bob cut though, because me and my co-worker look a LOT alike, and she has a bob cut.

I am finding I just really need to change something. I've had the same general hairstyle for 8 years and I need a drastic change.

Thanks!
  • Welcome, AdotJ.
    You last visited: 02-02-2009 at 06:37 PM

Wow! I never really got into this website much, but came across it while looking for short hairstyles for overweight women, lol!
  • I think you'd look every edgy with that cut! Have you found that same style in a color closer to yours? I wonder if that makes a difference. But YES, I think it would look fabulous.
  • I like it! Do it! But one suggestion and don't shoot the messenger, groom the eyebrows when you get the cut. A little cleaning up and shaping will help define your eyes a bit more.
  • re:
    Why not? If you end up not thrilled with it, it will always grow back. Are you thinking of the blonde? I bet a highlighted brownish version of that cut would look nice on you.

Agree with the eyebrows comment - and that's for everyone. It's a little step that's often ignored but makes such a huge difference.
  • I think you can pull it off! Your face shape is very similar to the model's. Also, one of my best friends is a big girl with hair that short, and because her stylist took into account her face and frame (VERY IMPORTANT!) when cutting it, it looks great! And if you don't like it, hair grows back! I lost all my hair to chemo a year and a half ago, and it's already chin length again! So take a risk and enjoy your new look!
  • I think it will look good on your facial shape... that said, when you have a larger body and short hair it can look a little funny (I got nearly the same haircut about 4 years ago). I prefer my hair long while I am fat because it provides balance.. But you have a skinnier face than I do so it may look more balanced.
  • I totally think you can pull it off and look GREAT!!

I just cut 10 inches off and donated it and it feels so refreshing.
  • I say go for it! You have a very pretty face, I think an edgy cut would look brilliant with it! It'll grow back if you don't like it
  • You could go check out some of the sites online that lets you see how you look with different hairstyles. You have to upload a photo of yourself (hair pulled back).. I've found several free ones.
  • My only caution is that when I cut off all my hair, I felt I had to wear more makeup to really look as feminine as I did with long hair (I also went darker so that had something to do with it). I'm growing it out from my short cut 3 months ago mostly for my wedding next year.
  • How do you dress - do your clothes complement the cut? Short hair is awesome. I feel like I am not skinny enough for a pixie cut but I admire them on other people of all sizes.
  • I'm also going against the grain here -
    I think most fat women (including myself) look better with longer hair. And by longer I don't mean it has to be "bra strap or longer" but at least to the bottom of the neck. There are hundreds of hair styles out there, above & beyond the simple "bob" - plus there are colors, hi-lights, hair accessories, etc that can change your look from cute to sexy, from professional to casual, day to evening, etc.

The pic of the cut you're considering is a cute style - but I've seen very few people who can truly pull it off. Something about a pixie-type cut that seems to work better for tiny, petite young chicks (late teens, early 20's) - and I'd love to have that cut ... IF my face, body, and other things would support it. I think I'd experiment with other things before I'd try such a drastic cut. But that's just me.

I always tell anybody about anything: DO WHATEVER *YOU* WANT TO DO. Regardless of what others may think, say, or feel about it. Your life, your hair, your decision.
  • I am in the minority here too. I think heavier women look better with longer hair. ALSO, the last 2 times that I lost a significant about of weight (below 200 pounds) I got my hair cut short. Loved it for the first week to 10 day. Then hated it. I missed my hair. I got depressed. I found out one thing...it's quicker to put on 10 pounds than it is to grow back 1 inch of hair.

I have a friend who is a hairdresser and typically if people want a radical hair cut, she will try to talk them into doing it in stages. Not too much of a change at one time. Because many people do have a hard time adjusting to a big change in hair styles.
  • If you're serious about getting your hair cut short like that, you might want to take the time and visit a wig shop. Try on wigs with short hair and really see what it would look like on you.