Doin' it the Old Fashioned Way #16

You're on Page 30 of 86
Go to
  • Tatoo pic...
    Let's see f I can get this to come up...I couldn't get all of the outside edges of it in the pic-it was too large to put up here...but you get the idea...it is also a little blurry because my camera sucks.
    Aphil
  • Hi everyone!

Sorry it's been so many days since I've last posted. Summer days go by too quickly!

Congrats to all who have had losses! Especially the hard-won, stubborn plateau-breaking ones!

Aphil, thanks for the tat pic, but it wouldn't finish loading?...or is that a problem with my computer?

You know, even with Vermont's LONG, COLD winters, we can have stretches of HUMID, STICKY weather!! It's been at least a week since our regular night-time temps of low-to-mid-fiftees, when you need a nice blanket...now we sleep with a fan blasting on us, and the sheet even feels like too much. We do have an air-conditioner unit in a downstairs window, and that's the only way I'm able to keep up with exercising when it's this warm and humid. It feels GOOD to crank the AC high, plus a fan to help blow that cold air, and get moving.

Aphil, what a nice compliment you received, that the nice SIL noticed your ab definition! Congrats on those wonderful toned muscles! Also felt angst over how the in-laws unfairly treat your husband...I don't know how I would handle that. I am very glad that we live 400 miles away from my in-laws

Have been riding my motorcycle almost every day to work, and again when possible for fun. I'm at 14,500 miles! Funny, with our cars, we want to keep the mileage down...but with 'cycles you are proud of how many miles you can put on. I also wore shorts today while riding, for the first time...yes, it's a safety risk, but one I calculated and took. Felt VERY free and cool! also felt kinda goofy with my white socks and black Dingo engineer-style boots, but who's gonna say something to this bad chick?

I mentioned some weeks ago about my husband starting the Atkins diet...he is now down 29 pounds He is a big guy, and has more to go, but it has made a difference in his belly. I KEEP reinforcing about him doing some exercise, but it hasnt' stuck yet. We KNOW that the only way to keep it off will be exercise and watch the eating...

Have a nice night, and a great, in-control day tomorrow! If you have off, be SURE to exercise - you don't have a good excuse not to! (my nagging for the day )
  • Holly-love the new signature... Try scrolling back up a couple of messages and see if the picture loads for you this time. Noone else has mentioned any problem, and I can see it fine. If you can't-I can email it to you.
    Boy you are lucky to live so far from your in-laws...both of my sets of parents sent my husband cards with checks inside, and my mom left a message on the machine the day of his birthday telling him happy birthday and that she loved him...he really lit up-you should have seen him. I am glad that my family did something for him after the episode with his family. Some of the girls on other parts of this forum said I should handle it by showing up empty handed at the next birthday for his side of the family-and state that since noone gets anything for Jason or myself on our last couple birthdays, that we asssumed everyone was stopping exchanging gifts except for Christmas or for the smaller children in the family. I think I just may do that... If noone else is buying gifts, then why should we be expected to?
    On a more positive note-I have gotten a few things doen today...I cleaned all of the ceiling fans in the house today-we have four of them-up on the stepstool with the dusting cloths...they look so much better. I had to sweep the floor after doing that, because you knock dust down everywhere-but that was just another chore done for the week. I also got all of the curtain pieces cut out for my teacher's nursery curtains, and just about all of the pieces for her crib bumper...hopefully I can get a good start on sewing them this week.
    Well, I need to get going and get this computer closed down for the evening-have a good night ladies!
    Aphil
  • Very cool tatoo Aphil! I love it.
    Virginia
  • Good morning all!

Yes, the pic of the tattoo loaded fully now - it does look very cool!! It must be so difficult to decide on the final design of what you want.

I really like the look of the pierced naval, with a small jewel...but I am having a hard time thinking of an over-40 woman (meaning me ) having one. I don't want to be restricted by my old-fashioned thinking, but I also don't want to become the dreaded pathetic middle-aged woman trying to look 20 years younger! I guess I just have to try to do what ultimately pleases me, right?

I was reading on another thread about people who have maintained an over-30 pound or so weight loss for a year, can register with ....what was it? guess I have to go back to find it. I know tryin'hard has registered with them. Anyway, I just looked up in my journal to see what month last year I reached 142, and it wasn't until late November.

It is WARM here! and humid! Just not what we are used to. So VERY glad I have stuck to eating better and exercising for so long, so that I can now wear shorts, sleeveless tops (still have to improve the upper arms, but they are at least show-able now) and one- or two-piece swimsuits. Keep at it, ladies, you can do it and it is so worth it!!!
  • Holly-I say do what pleases you and your husband. If you like it, and he likes it...then do it. All of the Hollywood actresses are a little older than we think of them anyway...most of the actresses that teenage girls like like Reese Witherspoon are not actually 20 years old...they just play younger characters...if I am correct I think she is my age-27. Jennifer Lopez is around 30...Madonna is in her late 40's...if they can all wear what they want in their 20's, 30's, and 40's...why can't we? Most girls who wear all this stuff are 17 years old, but the actresses making it popular are usually older!

A little advice about the pierced naval...if you get one, start with a simple small silver ring/loop. They will usually close with a bead which you can choose from the colors they have. They have rings where the actual ring is colored, but I don't recommend those-because the colored ring can irritate it and keep it from healing as well...I know from experience. You will need to keep the original one in for quite a while, and when you change jewelry to something with a jewel or other fancy thing, buy it at the tattoo/piercing place that you got the procedure done...they sell them at stores like Spencers and Hot Topics and some music stores...but a lot of the time they are not as high quality and can irritate it. Belly buttons are a lot harder to heal than ear piercings, and they really need the higher quality metals.

My tattoo is getting to the scabbing/dry and itchy stage. I am using Ink Fixx ointment on it...it is wonderful. It really keeps it moist so the scabbing doesn't "pull" when you move. (Think of smiling too big with extremely chapped lips...ouch) and it cuts the scabbing to a minimum...great stuff.

I stayed on plan yesterday...I have been doing pretty well in that aspect. Today I am going to weight train, and then I have rehearsal tonight.

On the good news front, we got our letter from the IRS saying that we qualify for the child tax credit refund thing from Bush...we will be getting a check for $800 for our two children in the next week or two. That is a wonderful surprise, as I need to order harem pants for the show in September (too many things going on to sew a pair) my daughter's birthday is in September as well, and it will help with getting her party suppplies and gift, and I will be able to pay off a credit card that I cancelled recently that I have the balance down to $200 on...as well as do/get a few other small things around here at home that need to be done or gotten...so all in all it was a nice surprise to have the extra cash coming in to do those things without having to strictly budget for them. I talked to my husband last night, and we are hoping to have about $100 left after doing all of the "necessary" things on the list...to maybe have a little splurge on something for ourselves...we will take care of the must do things first and see what is left.

Well, I better get going...I need to exercise and get some fabric cut out!
    Aphil
  • Hello all! I had a great weekend...my cousin got married on Sat. it was a beautiful wedding and reception. My husband and I danced all night long. I did have some wedding cake but not too much and all that dancing was a real workout! Sunday was a family reunion with all the same members (some were quite hung over) but it was great. I saw a cousin who had the gastric bypass surgery-she used to weigh 330# now she's 140 and a size 6! She's toned and looks like she's in her 20's-but she's 46! I got many compliments on my weight loss too-so many of my family members have lost alot of weight this year-two from surgery and about five of us from WW-it was such a change from last year! There's still alot that need it but we are an example to them...

We are going camper shopping tonight-we are graduating from a pop up to a self contained. I just want to make sure it has a nice bathroom and air conditioning! That's my style of camping!

Keep in touch...

Still a size 8!!! Down 55 #!!!
  • Idealperson...that is my kind of camping too...we have a self contained at the campground we go to. It is small-only 22 foot without any slide outs, but it has air conditioning, refridgerator, microwave, and a bathroom with well functioning toilet/sink/shower stall...so at least you can cook, be cool, and shower! Jason's parents, uncle, and grandmother have big momma sized campers with slide outs and umpteen sleeping areas, but ours has the two bunks for the kids, and the fold out couch and dinette...and it is plenty of room for just us! I hope you get something nice...I was thrilled when we got ours!
    Aphil
  • Hello,
    I am now back at work. I feel very good about it, although I am sad becuasse my boss is leaving for two years at the end of the week and I really like working with her. O well. At any rate, after so much time off I am feeling really good about being on a regular schedule again. It will make the healthy eating thing much easier. I am still plateaued, which is ok becuasse at least it is not a gain and I feel that now that I am back at work I can be a good kid again and get back on my losing streak.

I cannot remember who asked, but I am someone who would weigh myself several times a day, but I know that it is a little obsesive so I limit myself to once a week. If you weigh too often the larger trends get lost in the background noise of minor fluctuations (yes I love statistics).

I think people should be able to wear whatever they feel good in regardless of their age. I know when I am down to goal I am going to get something far too stylish for a 30 year old. Actually I think that most women do not really know how to dress themselves properly till they reach about 35. Before that most people look like they are playing dress up or are not well put together, but once people mature a little bit somehow clothing just seems to look better. Even remarkably similar clothing, like plain black suits look better on a 35 year old than a 25 year old.

Cool tat.

At any rate, back to work.
  • Hi Everyone,

School started back yesterday for my DS. He is a senior this year and it just doesn't seem possible.

Congrats to everyone who has lost weight or is maintaining....sometimes it seems like the scale is never going to budge. I will admit that I jump on that scale everyday...I've just got to know what I'm dealing with. If it's down, I'm encouraged to stay on course and if it is inching up, I realize I've got to do something right now to keep it from continuing to creep up.

We are about ready to have our concret poured...Friday is the tentative day but we are watching the weather. They have the form built around the pool and I can now imagine a world without dirt and mud...whatever will I do with myself now that I don't have to spray the mud off my shoes every time I go out back. Still so much to do, landscaping and walkways, etc. but finally having the deck will be a huge help.

I had a really bad time with my eating last week but I'm back on track now...I've got 5 more days in my 14-day recording period and I am hoping to be down at least one more pound. That'd be really good considering that we've eaten out several times. The Chinese buffet is where it all started going downhilll...I have never craved carbs like that before....not a good thing.
  • Hello Everyone! Well, No luck on the camper front, one was way over priced and the other was dirty and old. I will keep looking...they are supposed to drop in price after Labor Day, but I was really hoping to be in one by then.

I didn't go to weigh in last night either, been a bad girl this past week, but I have exercised every day and the scale isn't showing a gain (yet). Tonight is another family birthday party...so much temptation! Have a great day and drink, drink, drink, your water!
  • Hey!
    I've read the first page and 1/2 of the second page. MY name is Christen. I've been chubby since a baby. My overweight-ness started to show when I was in 4th-5th grade. I weighed 100lbs when all the other kids weighed 60lbs and no more than 75lbs. My doctors always said it in the nice way "See this chart? This line is your weight over the years, and this is the healthy rate. As you can see your weight is progressing a bit faster than it should." My parents and family always do the "you're so beautiful thing" and g'ma doesn't think I should lose more than 20lbs .

Last year at was at my all time low (high weight, low feelings) at 192 lbs. I'm 5'6" by the way. I somersized for a few months losing appx 4lbs a week and was down to 148! I went from a Old Navy size 18 to an O.N. size 10. I realized there was no way I could stick to it even going off just 1-2 times a week to maintain. GIVE ME A BREAK! I gained all but 12 lbs back. I'm surprised I didn't gain back more. I'm now 180. I then went to Body For life went to 170lbs. Just didn't feel like sticking to a program.

Now I'm 180lbs and just want to eat healthy and exercise! I don't know how much calories I should consume a day. Until I know I'm just trying to eat only when I'm HUNGRY. When I eat only eat until I'm not hungry NOT STUFFED! The part where I need the most help is exercise. I find treadmill and walk away the pounds so boring! I've just been using dumbells like in the exercise program for Body for life. I'm getting a pedometer off of ebay (they have about 100 diff kinds and I'm having a hard time deciding which one!) then I'll try to do x amount more steps then the day before.

Can anyone help me with calories and exercise? How much exercise I should be doing????

THank you! Christen
    PS I also barrel race and have two horses.
  • I think I replied to you in another thread, but I bought a pedometer at Wal-Mart for under $15.00. It workd great, it tells me how many steps I've taken (so I can out-do myself the next day), how many miles this equals, and how many calories I've burned. It also has a clock/timer on it.

I think if you watch what you eat, eat only when hungry, make good food choices, and exercise you'll do fine. Good luck and keep in touch...

WW starting weight 209# (Jan. 2003)
    Current weight 153#
    5 feet 7 inches and at goal!
  • Yes, you did reply to my last post eBay has some fancy ones I'm not sure if I'll go to walmart or ebay. What can I say...I'm an eBay addict!
  • There is a book which helped me a lot..."Dr. Shipiro's Picture Perfect Weight Loss." It would show something like a bagle on one page and a huge assortment of "better" choices on the opposite page...it was all about choices. I'm not into exercising a lot myself...I feel good if I get 20 mins. in a day on the treadmill. I do try to be as active as I can around the house, yard and just getting out in general but standing and exercising for an hour is difficult for me...

I count calories...I average my daily calories in 2 week groups to shoot for an average of 1400 cals. I am 5'4" and now weigh 147 lbs. I have some days where I eat more than I should but I write down the calories anyway...some days I'm not very hungry and get a much lower amount. It all averages out and I've lost about 40 lbs. since Jan.

I find that I have to do something that I can stick with...I tried eating the Atkins way and I did lose weight but I started to really crave the carbs. Now I eat a lot of fruit and veggies and lean meats. I also eat soy patties and other soy products which I thought I never would.

I measure out my portions and count my calories. I am using the 2 week averages to see where I am losing weight and, as I am nearing my goal, I will know where I need to be to maintain my weight.

I will have to write down what I eat from here on out...a lot of people don't need to do that but I do...I have to have that structure and it has been a really helpful tool to use to see where I am at say 4 p.m. in the day so I can decide what I'm going to eat for dinner.

Keep posting and keep trying every day...you'll be able to do it!!