How hot is too hot?

• I've been running since January, I'm up to 4 miles 4-5 days a week, all outside. I also walk 3 miles outside on my lunch (mid-day) 5 days a week at work. I'm used to being out in the heat/humidity, but at what point is it really too hot to run outside? It's supposed to be in the mid to high 90s for at least the next week and I'm going to get cabin fever if I'm stuck running on the treadmill for that long. Are there any guidelines? Any opinions?
  • Can you go swimming? I moved my workouts indoors when it broke 100. Except for swimming, it can be as hot as the surface of the sun and I'll still swim .
  • No way would I run outside right now during this heat wave.
  • I love the heat. I run at noon during my lunch hour. I do wear a belt with water.
  • i would say to do what you're comfortable with...and make sure to stay hydrated...

me personally, i live in a temperate rainforest up here in alaska...it barely breaks 65 on a good day LOL...i would DIE in anything that anyone else terms "hot"...
  • I didn't go running tonight. It was almost 10pm before the heat index was below 100 and I needed to clean instead. For the weekend, I can just go fairly early in the morning, then through the week, I will try just going once the sun starts to go down so I at least have some shade. Maybe I will try splitting the four miles into 2 mile stretches so I can cool off and get some water in between.

I did just join a gym with plenty of indoor equipment so I have other options, I just actually really like running outside (and generally in the heat) so hate to give it up while it's super hot outside.
  • In Arizona we survive the heat by doing most of our outdoor exercise at first light. Often early, early mornings are the sweetest. It is so hard to get up that early but it is quite wonderful when I do!
  • I've been saving my runs for as close to dark as I can, but we broke 103 today, so I broke out the bike instead. Can't wait to see what July brings...