Planet Fitness

• There is a Planet Fitness opening less than 2 miles from my apartment in a few weeks. They joining cost is $1, monthly fee of $10 and a yearly fee of $29. I very tempted to join, really for the cost, even if I don't like it, I'm not out much, but was wondering if anyone has any insight on the company as a whole?

I currently run and walk outside and own a treadmill if I absolutely can't go outside, but would like the access to weights for strength training. I've found both good and bad reviews online but would love some more personal opinions.
  • The gym I go to is a Planet Fitness and I think its great! It's cheap and they have a lot of machines to choose from. They do have weights and a 30 minute express circuit training area for quick workouts. I've been with them for two years and so far so good. Of course, every gym is different but I have no complaints!
  • They have free pizza and a "no grunting" rule in the free weights area.

Rates are super reasonable. Where I live the parking lot gets crazy mobbed at any "peak" time and you have to sign up for cardio equipment.

I'll stick with my gross low-budget but contract-free inner-city gym, which I realize isn't an option for everyone.
  • Yea, they have free pizza on the first Monday of every month which I do find to be a bit strange. My gym is pretty forgiving of the whole "grunting thing"-but I know that's a big time rule at most PFs.
  • went with my daughter as a guest a few times and loved it--wish i had one near me!! i think its def worth the $$
  • If you're fine with a limited amount of free weights and don't grunt a lot when working out it's probably a great gym for the price.

Negative reviews I assume come from people who are biased towards a more traditional gym.

I grunt when doing heavy lifting but it is not over the top so whether I could work out there or not I am not sure.
  • I would love to have a PF where I live for those rates!! I have a treadmill at home too but just to be able to lift weights all would be worth that price for me. All three of the gyms in my area are a mimumum of $50/month. DUMB!
  • my gym is more expensive than even $50/month...both gyms in town are...*cry* everything is more expensive in Alaska
  • Quote: If you're fine with a limited amount of free weights and don't grunt a lot when working out it's probably a great gym for the price.

Negative reviews I assume come from people who are biased towards a more traditional gym.

I grunt when doing heavy lifting but it is not over the top so whether I could work out there or not I am not sure.
    I think the "lunkhead alarm" thing is probably just made up for the most part...but it sure would be funny to see a thread on here "JohnP sets off lunkhead alarm at Planet Fitness"

$50 a month is ridiculous. For that much they'd better be assigning you a personal trainer as well as a slave who follows you around wiping your rear when you go #2 and purchases ingredients for/cooks you fabulous gourmet meals. But I guess if there are no cheaper alternatives, people will still pay...
  • Thanks for all the opinions! I think I will go ahead and sign up. All of the other gyms in my area are kind of pricey so I haven't been able to join. I will just try to keep my grunting under control
  • A bit off topic... but no grunting? That's crazy. I go to Anytime Fitness and there are lots of grunters (my husband is one of them...). I find that it doesn't really bother me because I have my ear buds in anyway.

I've never heard of a no grunting rule! It amuses me!
  • I would rather have grunting than some @****** that parks his sweaty kiester on the machine I want to use and will not move, even though he is taking a 30 minute break between sets while reading "Grapes of Wrath".So you can grunt all you want to provided you are sharing the weight machines and free weight benches. Just my thoughts.
  • Yeah, it's stupid and discourages serious weightlifters/people who think grunting is cool from joining PF (they go to Gold's or Crossfit anyway).
  • Just knowing that I would be breaking a rule if I grunted would make me want to... not that I do, but still.