How did you pick a goal weight?

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • I've lost a fair amount of weight recently without trying (please don't hate me, I have no idea what's going on) so I figured now would be a good time to actually try to get to normal person sized. But I've never really been normal person sized, (I was too skinny and then became too fat) so I don't have any idea what weight range I'd be normal person sized at.

I feel dumb saying this, but I find those ticker things people have in their signatures very motivating and would like to make one. I just have no idea what my goal weight should be. Clearly it should start with a 1 but that's about as far as I've got lol.

How did you come up with your goal weights?
  • Mine has changed a lot since I started!

My original goal was 175... because the least I ever remember weighing was 180, as a child! I didn't think that would even be possible. But then as I got closer, I realized I could do this! So I adjusted back down a couple times. I may move it again. Whatever you pick, isn't set in stone! It's always up for revision . Welcome, you can do this!
  • I just chose whatever my bmi says is my healthy weight and go from there
  • I chose mine bc 140 was where I felt the most comfortable. It's in my healthy range for my height and bone size, but not too low that is would be unachievable.
  • I choosed a weight when I first met my boyfriend (10 years ago) have gained too much and would love to see myself that thin(er) again...
  • You can get a ticker in your signature after you've been here for 20 days and have 20 posts

I chose 140 as my goal weight, because it was the highest weight I could be for my height and still be considered "healthy." I had never really been within that range (grew up overweight/obese) so I wasn't even sure I could get there. Before that I said "oh I just need to lose 40 pounds" and when I did I realized I could probably shoot for that healthy BMI!

Once I did I realized I could go lower. I got to 125, said "GOAL!!" but my body seemed to settle at 115, so here I've stayed

Like ValRock said, your goal weight isn't set in stone. Keeping yours at ??? is a good way to go about it. Whenever you feel ready you can decide to maintain.
  • I haven't picked one this time yet. I spent most of my life around 140, then in the last 10 years gained about 45 pounds (that number is so huge when I type it out.) I've tried over the last few years to lose and I think the "45 pounds to lose" gets me and I give up. So, this time I'm taking it one pound at a time.

I will probably set a goal once I feel more comfortable in my journey.

Maybe set a goal that is 50 or 75 pounds away from where you are now, and then adjust downward as needed.

Also, if you are losing weight without trying, you may want to visit your doctor to make sure there isn't a medical reason for it, and then put a plan in place so that if the weight loss slows or stops, you know what to do. Congratulations!
  • If it doesn't seem like too much mentally, then you could just go with the high end of a healthy BMI for now. Since you really have no idea and plus things change as we get older (maybe workout and build muscle, etc)., then I'm sure you will have to tweak it several times over... GOOD LUCK!
  • My goal weight is when I entered uni and met my husband. However, my initial goal weight was 105lbs for when I left uni but when I started getting close at 115lbs I decided to shift it down. When I get down to my goal weight, I'll reevaluate particularly since I have smaller bones than I can previously remember!
  • I originally picked 137.8 because it is the thinnest I remember ever being and it was 100lbs away from where I started. Then as I started losing weight I realized I may not be able to maintain with out feeling like I constantly have to restrict my intake at 137.8, so I adjusted it up to 157.8. When I get there, I will celebrate and then reevaluate if I want to.
  • for me my original goal weight was 130lbs, but i decided to choose a weight that was comfortably in the middle of the "healthy" BMI range. even though its just a number goal for now, i guess we'll see how my body progresses & where it is at a certain point. like other members said, its not set in stone, so if you feel like you want / need to change it later on, thats okay too (:
  • High end for my height = 165 lbs.

I'll worry about fine tuning when I get there if I feel like I need to. Seems premature to stress about it til then, YWKIM? So highest for my height is good enough to work with for now.

In the meanwhile, just taking it in 10 - 20 lbs chunks.

HTH!
    A.
  • Quote: High end for my height = 165 lbs.
    High end of what? We're the same height so it should be similar unless it includes frame size?
  • Quote: I haven't picked one this time yet. I spent most of my life around 140, then in the last 10 years gained about 45 pounds (that number is so huge when I type it out.) I've tried over the last few years to lose and I think the "45 pounds to lose" gets me and I give up. So, this time I'm taking it one pound at a time.

Also, if you are losing weight without trying, you may want to visit your doctor to make sure there isn't a medical reason for it, and then put a plan in place so that if the weight loss slows or stops, you know what to do. Congratulations!
    Ha! I know what you mean. I've thought to myself many times, I need like 150 lbs? So basically I have to lose an entire person??

I really can't afford a doctor. I'm adopted and don't have my medical history so it's not just the visit cost, anytime anything is wrong they have to do thousands of dollars in tests for stuff normally ruled out by your family medical history to cover their asses with malpractice insurance. I've randomly lost and gained weight before though so I'm not especially worried. Just seemed like starting a losing streak would be a good impetus to actually try. It's also like a psychological thing. I didn't want to be hit on or noticed, and had a lot of issues when I was young with people equating being pretty with being dumb (because lord knows you can only be attractive OR smart) and so I spent a long time basically trying to be less attractive. Now I'm kinda forcing myself to get over that, but it's still there. I'm honestly kind of scared of losing that much weight, so definitely planned to take it in smaller increments.
  • My initial target goal is 175, which is the highest end of a "healthy" bmi for me. Most of the sites/charts, etc tell me that my ideal weight should be between 135-175. From all of the measurements I've taken of my wrist and elbow breadth, I am classified as having a large frame, so I think I would look rather ill if I was at 135. I figure once I can get my BMI under 25 (estimated at 175 lbs), I can fine-tune as I see fit.