What's more effective, a short strenuous workout or a long so-so one??

• In the beginning of my weight loss journey, I'd stay at the gym for an hour and a half and burn anywhere from 700-900 calories, but not strenuously.

Now that I'm closer to my goal (and busier!) I'll stay only for a half hour, and only burn 300-ish calories, but at high intensity (sweating and heart racing!)

What's more effective? Not working as hard but burning 800 at the end of a long session? Or a short session of getting your heart rate up high?

Thanks!!!!
  • Are you talking only cardio?

I'd say weight training over cardio.

Intense shorter cardio over long moderate cardio.

Just my opinion though!
  • More effective for what? If you're asking what is more effective for actually losing fat than what burns the most calories win.

Of course this has to be weighed against what results from this exercise such as the potential to increase hunger significantly and also how much time you have.
  • Whoops- I mean strictly cardio for weight/fat loss!
  • +1 on resistance training over cardio- a good circuit training workout keeps your heart rate up like cardio AND builds muscle.

Other than that, many articles I've read recently tout that shorter/harder workouts have better cardio benefits over longer/easier workouts. But I'd say do the one you like best, because that's the one you'll stick with anyway. Both will give you health benefits.
  • It depends on your time. Technically, you can get similar results with both, it just depends on how much time you have to commit.

For example, on days that I have the evening off I much prefer to go for a 2 hours walk/hike around the river in my city than to spend 45 minutes on a stairmaster.

So long + moderate = short + intense is the short answer. Do what works best for you.

Technically, both activities have similar effects: burned calories (~500 range) and worked muscles (walking for 2 hours makes you just as stiff as being on the stair master for less than half that time)
  • i would agree with doing a strength circuit or something. it keeps my heart rate up so i'm actually getting cardio done while strengthening my muscles as well.
  • Quote: In the beginning of my weight loss journey, I'd stay at the gym for an hour and a half and burn anywhere from 700-900 calories, but not strenuously.

Now that I'm closer to my goal (and busier!) I'll stay only for a half hour, and only burn 300-ish calories, but at high intensity (sweating and heart racing!)

What's more effective? Not working as hard but burning 800 at the end of a long session? Or a short session of getting your heart rate up high?

Thanks!!!!
    Only 900 calories burnt after a 90minute exercise? Something doesn't seem right here..
  • Quote: Only 900 calories burnt after a 90minute exercise? Something doesn't seem right here..
    Only?

That's around 9, 10-minute miles run.