What was the last show/concert you went to?

You're on Page 3 of 6
Go to
  • I just saw Duran Duran a few weeks ago. I had been waiting 30 years to see them. I don't have a lot of weight to lose but I was kind of self conscious about the flab on my upper arms flopping around. I got over it pretty fast when they hit the stage.
  • I bought tickets to see In This Moment on October 30. Can't wait!
  • The last concert I went to was Prince at the beginning of the year. It was EPIC!!! I am going to The Shins next Sunday and can't wait!!
  • Quote:
    I just saw Duran Duran a few weeks ago. I had been waiting 30 years to see them. I don't have a lot of weight to lose but I was kind of self conscious about the flab on my upper arms flopping around. I got over it pretty fast when they hit the stage.
    Oh my goodness. I had this GIANT Duran Duran pin that I wore everywhere in fifth grade. It was so huge it had a wee stand and I stood it up in my locker at Church camp. And when the special K's (teenage counselor-campers) were put in charge of nightly vespers, they used the Depeche Mode version of People are People (which has nothing to do with Duran Duran, except to pin that point in time) and it was the first time I'd heard Depeche Mode. Anyway, that sounds awesome.

Quote:
    The last concert I went to was Prince at the beginning of the year. It was EPIC!!! I am going to The Shins next Sunday and can't wait!!
    !! to both.

I would love to see the Shins. Wow. Jealous.

I did go to the symphony this weekend. They did Benjamin Britten and Shoshtakovich, followed by the Grieg piano concerto (and everyone but everyone has heard the opening of the Grieg piano concerto in a "hey! that's so familiar!" sort of way.

In the interim I live vicariously through others.
  • The last concert I went to, oddly, was a contemporary classical performance which included a song for which I wrote the libretto.

I dressed up and looked good and had a nice time. However, I am notoriously bad with directions and had gotten lost on the way to the place and walked three times as far as I needed to. Being overweight & wearing heels and a dress not designed for comfort made me way more self-conscious and way less social than I would have liked.

I realized that planning in advance helps me to feel comfortable despite my discomfort with my figure, but it keeps me from being as spontaneous as I used to be and as I'd like. I'm hoping to get that back with weight loss. This means that I need to be committed to seeing results, not just going through the motions. That kinda scares me.

This thread makes me miss shows and concerts. Maybe I should do more of that and not feel like life is a reward earned only after repairing my deficiencies in hotness. In the past ten years I've gone up and down with the same 50 pounds over and over and I'm in a life-lull at the moment and now wondering if those things are related... :/
  • The wombats last weekend
  • Quote:
    This thread makes me miss shows and concerts. Maybe I should do more of that and not feel like life is a reward earned only after repairing my deficiencies in hotness. In the past ten years I've gone up and down with the same 50 pounds over and over and I'm in a life-lull at the moment and now wondering if those things are related...
    Yep. It is, I think, punishingly bad for your mental health to tie non-food pleasures (concerts, beaches, swimming, fun, day-trips, WHATEVER they are) to diet rewards. And easier to embrace weight-loss and its attendant disappointments and challenges if you are enjoying the rest of your life.

Also: how cool! re:

Quote:
    The last concert I went to, oddly, was a contemporary classical performance which included a song for which I wrote the libretto.
    I am not particularly familiar with much contemporary classical work, but probably the best opera I've ever seen was Osvaldo Golijov's Ainadamar. With Dawn Upshaw. So spectacular, even if I cheaped out and bought the worst seats ever.

Quote:
    The wombats last weekend
    kelly - I'd never heard of them, but just listened to Let's Dance to Joy Division on youtube. So fun!
  • Quote: I bought tickets to see In This Moment on October 30. Can't wait!
    Colour me green. I am JEALOUS! I went to Warped Tour 2010 in my city specifically to see them...only to find out when I got there they weren't with the tour that went that far West. Alas!

Don't get a lot of chances to get out for concerts because of my work schedule but the last one I saw was Florence and the Machine back in July. Horrible venue but awesome show. I wept like a baby when they played my favourite song...like a baby...

Before that I saw Noah and the Whale at a tiny club venue and that was really fun.
  • Okay, I now have concerts to report!

I saw Kishi Bashi and Tinariwen last week at Stuart's Opera House. Had never heard of Kishi Bashi before, but he put on a great show and I am definitely buying his album. Tinariwen was pretty much as awesomely-awesome as I expected them to be. They played a long show, followed by a LONG encore. They were great.

Then, went to Mountain Stage this weekend: Jesse Harris, Lucy Kaplansky, Barnaby Bright, Chuck Prophet (subbing for Beth Orton, who canceled due to Frankenstorm/family things), and the David Wax Museum. It was a great show & Barnaby Bright was the highlight for me.
  • I saw New Order a few weeks ago and am seeing Morrissey next weekend! Can't wait!!
  • I saw Rush in September on their Clockwork Angels tour...freaking epic. I met some of the most awesome people too.
  • Can't remember the last one I went to, but I have tickets for Tegan & Sara this month and Mumford & Sons next month! woot! woot!
  • Dream Theater! Freaking. Awesome.

I've been on this site a while and never noticed this forum. Thank god there's other people like me..I'm not your everyday soccer mom. Far from it, and I like myself that way.
  • Quote: I saw Rush in September on their Clockwork Angels tour...freaking epic. I met some of the most awesome people too.
    One of my favorite bands also I just didn't have the money this time around.
  • Quote: Dream Theater! Freaking. Awesome.

I've been on this site a while and never noticed this forum. Thank god there's other people like me..I'm not your everyday soccer mom. Far from it, and I like myself that way.
    I'm not your average 18 year old girl and I also like it that way I love all the old bands.