How long before other people notice?

You're on Page 2 of 4
Go to
  • Not until ~35lb did I get comments, but I work with a bunch of older men and I don't think they comment much on stuff like that (weight, hair, etc).
  • Quote: Not until ~35lb did I get comments, but I work with a bunch of older men and I don't think they comment much on stuff like that (weight, hair, etc).
    Heck, we (men) hardly recognize when something is different with our wives, how the heck would we notice someone we work with LOL

Dont tell me wife I said that....Im still in trouble for something (wasnt really listening)....
  • I am at 25 lbs lost and starting to get comments.....on my hair! They know *something* is different but can't quite say what, yet. LOL.
  • I don't want anyone to notice. I just want to do IP, lose the weight and move on. Guess that comes from wanting to be invisible. Maybe that will change, but right now I am comfortable with no one knowing I am dieting and no one saying anything. Sounds kind of pathetic, huh?
  • Well for what it is worth...I just told my coworkers. I figured it was easier to tell them because we have a potluck once a month and I brought food for the first one but was only on day 5 of my IP journey. I told them I loved them all but that I was going to the lunchroom to eat. They have been very supportive. Some seem to actively be watching for the changes and cheering me on. That approach is working for me. I didn't need anyone else to notice because I am doing this for myself but it is really nice to know that the people you work with care.
  • For me, it was around 35 pounds before people started noticing... even then, it was few and far between.

Now that I have lost almost 60, people have been commenting a lot... especially in the last week.
  • Ive lost 2 stone and people have just started commenting......however i think some people notice but just dont say .........people can be wired when you lose weight x
  • Well no one noticed mine (except my coach) and I just broke 70# in 7 weeks. It kinda sucks when you don't hear it but I feel sooooo much better and. Everything is just easier now and I am motivated to keep loosing. Tomorrow is WI #8 for me and I am already nervous. I really want to hit 75# then 83.3 is my next goal because that will mark 1/3 of the way to goal. I meet with my boss weekly and told him yesterday, he was surprised and very supportive. I know some people just don't mention weigh issues or feel comfortable mentioning them. I would not be here if I had not noticed a friends WL. I saw him at training on 3-28-12 and asked him how much weight he'd lost, he looked great. He was down 55# and told me about IP. I went to a meeting that night and joined the next day. Week 1 I lost 25#'s!!! Mostly water. And I felt so much better.

Keep working it and come here with your weekly goals and losses. I promise we will ooh and ahh because we know how hard it is to do what you've done. Keep up the hard work.

• Quote: Heck, we (men) hardly recognize when something is different with our wives, how the heck would we notice someone we work with LOL

Dont tell me wife I said that....Im still in trouble for something (wasnt really listening)....
    Amen
  • I don't think people will notice until I lost 40-50 pounds. But my fiance and I are doing this diet together and he's noticing mine and I notice his so that is enough for us.

Doing it together is making it MUCH easier.

However when I see other people that I know have lost weight I just say "wow...you're looking great" I try not to focus on the # as it sometimes embarrasses people.

I carry my weight well and no one guesses (even my firance was surprised how heavy I was at the consultation) my true weight.
  • It is always nice to hear from others that you look great and all but a motivator of mine is to hear it when I have lost all of the weight! I keep a pair of my skinny jeans out on my dresser so I see them daily to remind myself what I am working so hard for! I haven't seen my husband in a month and I highly doubt that when I see him this weekend he will notice. He has never seen me at this weight before(I was 165 when we started dating.) I am not hung up on him noticing too much, because he isn't the reason I am doing it
  • My experience so far doing this with DH is that people have started to comment to him how great he looks, has he lost weight?, what is he doing? ..even you look 20 years younger...!!! Me...standing right beside him gets nothing...not a word! Very strange. Either it doesn't show much...or people are afraid to comment on weight to a woman in case they offend her? A few close girlfriends have noticed but otherwise not as much feedback as my DH is getting. I don't really care...I just tried on a dress that I couldn't even zip up the back not too long ago and it is now too big! That made my day!!
  • Quote:
    I remember once I was talking to my colleague and at that point I have lost about 40 pounds or more and I told her since I lost weight, I had to buy new clothes, so she replied: ''yeah, it shows that you lost, how much did you lose by now, like 10 pounds?'' so I was disheartened and answered her ''more like 40!!''

AND

Quote:
    I was talking about the diet to a few moms I see very weekend at baseball and one asked me how long I was doing it when I said 12 weeks she asked how much weight I had lost. I told her 45 lbs and all the women were shocked and of course told me I look great, etc. I think they were actually thinking wow you lost that much weight and you are still fat!! just kidding....sort of. All the other women but 1 are pretty thin.
    People are sometimes surprised at the actual number of pounds someone's lost because they didn't think that person was that heavy in the first place. We are our harshest critics!
  • I'm much like Sanibelover. I like to be invisible too. I also don't really notice other people's weight loss or gain unless it is very very dramatic. I am careful to comment because I know how intensely personal this can be.
  • I, too, wonder how people don't comment. I guess we all look at each other, and yet don't really see. I think I have not yet lost enough yet. Less than 15 pounds at this point.
    But we all k ow, and see, and know this weight loss it because of staying really focused and working hard!!