IR Diet

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Ok, I know someone asked about it..but is anyone else doing it?
    I am starting it again, as I have had success with it, and then got preggo.
    So....who wants to start a support/friendship thread with me?
  • I've been doing it four 4 weeks already.
    Lost 7 pounds so far!
  • Good job.
  • I'm SO IN! I have had the book for years now. I read it, loved it but never really gave it a chance. I'm going to the store as soon as I get off today and luckily am off tomorrow and Monday so I can get use to eating every few hours. I'm very excited about dropping some weight.
  • Hi All,
    I was Insulin Resistant, but not PCOS. I am an old lady, however (67 y/o), and I lost the last 30 lbs & have maintained on The Insulin Resistance Diet. I truly believe it's their LINKING method that helps keep my appetite under control & without that I could not have maintained the weight loss. I do have to count calories as well, but that's due to my age & lack of mobility (I have rheumatoid arthritis).
    Good luck to you all.
  • Hi Joyful, I too think the linking and eating every few hours is the key. That way our bodies do not go into starvation mode.
  • Anyone still doing IR? I've done it for the past week and lost 8 lbs!!!! SO ecstatic! I'm sold on this way of eating! Would love to have some accountability, conversation, etc. about it?!
  • I am always doing this. just not much traffic on this thread.
  • I am about to start this diet. I went to the grocery store this evening so tomorrow will be my first day.
  • Sorry to be so stupid, but what is the IR diet? I'm doing South Beach, is IR similar? Can someone break that down for me?
  • Is this the same as the PCOS Diet? I couldn't find the IR Diet at my bookstore. It sounds similar, eating every few hours with a complex carb and protein.
  • The insulin resistance diet -- book here: http://www.amazon.com/Insulin-Resist.../dp/0071499849 -- is a diet that teaches you about low and high glycemic foods, how to "link" protein and carbs and fats together so that your blood sugar doesn't spike.

The theory is that if your insulin is spiking and crashing all the time, it's basically signaling to your body to store the excess glucose into fat. If your body doesn't have to send excess insulin into your system, then your body doesn't store your fuel (food) as fat, but rather you burn it off or it goes into muscle or other tissue.

So, for example, for every 25 g of carbs you eat, you need to eat AT LEAST -- minimum -- 7 grams of protein or more. The idea there is that the protein in that minimum quantity will help off set the insulin spike that the carb will cause in your body. The same thing applies to fats and the combination of foods.

Of course, the authors aren't saying eat a cupcake and then a 2 lbs piece of steak... they recommend eating low glycemic index foods like vegetables and low-sugar fruits with whole grains and lean proteins. And to exercise, since that helps balance the excess glucose created in your body (you burn it off exercising, rather than letting it be converted into fat in your body).
  • Thanks for explaining, Rana. It is very similar to the PCOS diet.
  • It sounds really similar to the South Beach Diet, but I want to get the book and read it anyway. Might be some things that make more sense, easier to do, etc.

Thanks for explaining that!
  • Been on the IR diet for 6 days so far, feeling extremely good and already lost 3 pounds.