Maintainer's Vol. 6

You're on Page 1 of 34
Go to
  • Hey there ladies and gents!!!....I noticed that y'all Vol 5 was over 500 post so I figured I would start a new one for y'all before the other one gets closed without notice!!
  • Thanks for opening new thread Wuv-
    I am still struggling to get back on the wagon- Did great over weekend then last night, lost control and ate not one, but 2 bowls of cereal. grrrrrrrr. Don't understand why it is so hard to get back to it when originally it seemed effortless.
  • Thank you Cap for all the great info on that book! And a big thanks to everyone else for suggesting the amazon.ca website to get it now. I think this is just what I've been looking for! The past couple weeks I've read Atkins Diet (to find out how to slowly ease back starchy carbs into my diet), Glycemic Index for Dummies, and Wheat Belly. My husband must think I'm crazy since I've just started Phase 4 of IP but I have always wondered why carbs effect me the way they do...headaches, weight gain around my middle (tummy and love-handles), bloating, muscle aches, sinus problems, fatigue, brain fog, etc. etc. etc.!!! I feel like I'm getting so close to finding out! I LOVE this website/blog/thread...thank you all so much
  • UGH. I haven't been on this site in almost a week and a half. I am SO NERVOUS about giving a presentation tomorrow that it has taken all my energy to not focus on eating bad food for stress relief. I feel such a tightness in my stomach about giving public speeches and I cannot wait for tomorrow to be over.

Even though I have been following good eating habits.... I have gained 3 lbs! I am so upset. I am hoping it is just stress weight and that it will disappear in a few days. It is pretty disappointing though.

Hope you all are in better spirits than me.... Sorry to be a wet blanket.
  • Stress can cause weight gain! Good luck with your presentation!
    I am enjoying my ip chicken soup with curry and cauliflower. I have not come up with a non ip lunch I like any better. Paired with a salad I am full and satisfied. I guess ip will be getting my $$ for a while yet!
  • Quote: Thank you Cap for all the great info on that book! And a big thanks to everyone else for suggesting the amazon.ca website to get it now. I think this is just what I've been looking for! The past couple weeks I've read Atkins Diet (to find out how to slowly ease back starchy carbs into my diet), Glycemic Index for Dummies, and Wheat Belly. My husband must think I'm crazy since I've just started Phase 4 of IP but I have always wondered why carbs effect me the way they do...headaches, weight gain around my middle (tummy and love-handles), bloating, muscle aches, sinus problems, fatigue, brain fog, etc. etc. etc.!!! I feel like I'm getting so close to finding out! I LOVE this website/blog/thread...thank you all so much
    You were able to order it on amazon.ca even though you are US? If so, I am going to go get a copy as well!
  • Thanks WUV, You are looking so hot young lady....

Stress can definately cause weight gain. I hope everyone has a great day, mine has been pretty good as the grand opening of our new area went on without a hitch and everything looks so shiny and new.
  • Quote: You were able to order it on amazon.ca even though you are US? If so, I am going to go get a copy as well!
    I was able to order it with no problems. When I logged in, I thought I would be asked to open a new account but I used the same user name/password as my amazon.com account and it had all my info. I also got a confirmation emailed to me, so all looks good!
  • Sarahbean- stress is a huge factor in weight. When stressed say hello to cortisol and nasty side kick grehlin. Grehlin will make you want and want and want what you don't need. Cortisol is actually the most dominant hormone we have. Can override all the rest. It is the boss. And it will do a whole slough of things from getting you to eat to storing it around your middle to making you depressed so that you will eat more. It is one big nasty cycle. It will hold onto water (probably what you have going on). It is unfortunate that you are so stressed about public speaking- is it because you are nervous to talk in front of so many? Try not to focus on your nervousness (easier said than done I know) but rather on your preparation. Repeating the speech over and over and over and over to yourself to your friends to your husband. And focus on your success in presenting a well thought out and rehearsed speech- you deserve that success so consider it yours! I wish you the best of luck with it...
    Once this speech is done at least you know you'll be ridding yourself of a very large stressor and your hormones should return to normal.
    GoodEats&Wine- I hear ya! I've read Atkins site and bought the cookbook (it was a bit higher in calories than I felt was necessarily warranted), walked on the Paleo side of life a bit and even went exploring in the raw zone (this one led to my unfortunate run in with dried fruit), mixed in the clean eating all the way through. IP is a great program that works extremely well for weight loss but I do think that it's maintenance program should be a bit more defined. But there isn't a program out there that is one size fits all. Some will do alright with having carbs for breakfast... some will crash & burn. Some will be able to have pasta in the evenings... some would gain 3 pounds for having done so. There's a lot of carbs out there and they are not created equal and then this again has to translate over to the individual. Better for each of us to discover our carb tolerances and intolerances.
    I also think the 'free for all day' is setting many up for failure. Because if you ended up overweight in the first place you have issues with food such as overeating or late night eating or binge eating. The free day allows all of these behaviors that we have modified out of ourselves while dieting to make a cameo appearance once a week. It isn't long before they root in and take over. Better to take the new fresh you that has just lost a bunch of weight and shed a bunch of bad habits and keep yourself that way for as long as possible. A treat meal once a week is proven to be good for both body & mind. A day of behaving badly only leads to more and more and more of those days...
    Maile & Mom2cs- Thank you both for your support about the cookie. This is a lifestyle. The further I progress the more I feel I'm able to set boundaries for myself and stick to them. Still really dislike feeling socially awkward but some part of me feels that if it is the right choice for me I am warranted in my refusal. It does seem like society is coming around slowly. More and more emphasis is being placed on bringing healthy snacks for the kids. And when I spoke more at length with my daughter about the cookie issue and explained to her that treats will always be readily available so we need to be choosy about what we partake in rather than accepting everything. I try to explain this in terms of health rather than weight. And to explain some of the health issues that arise from not properly nourishing our bodies. Because really, the amount of disease that is associated with improper nutrition is astronomical. You are at more risk for pretty much everything. Diabetes, cancer, autoimmune issues. It's not worth the cookie.
    Mom2cs- the almond butter tastes fantastic in the shake- if you're having it for breakfast throw some chia seeds in there too... they're a great tasting thickener that will keep you regular
    Maile- I hope you like the book. You've done so well with your maintenance- congrats on month 7 by the way!!- this book will probably just be interesting reading for the hormonal aspect. But I do like the in depth understanding of what hormone is coming into play- rather than just feeling it and having no idea where it's coming from (re: cravings).
    I read something interesting in a fitness mag yesterday. A study has apparently proven that while a calorie is a calorie when subjects were tested for how many calories the body used to process a whole, clean meal (whole wheat bread with real cheese) vs. process a refined processed meal (white bread with processed cheese) the subjects used almost double the amount of calories (137) to process the whole meal vs. the processed one (74)...
  • Determined- 50 pounds provides a lot more motivation than 10 does. Do you have any 'before' pics kicking around? Might be useful to look at them...
    If you find yourself wanting to snack in the evenings it's time to incorporate exercise right at that point. Go for a walk, jog, do a dvd, skip rope. It will refocus you, curb your appetite and retrain your response to boredom. It sounds a heck of a lot less appealing than a bowl of cereal I know- but it works. Nothing will kick a night time eating habit like exercise. You won't even want to reach for the cereal because you won't like being forced to exercise instead :P
  • Quote: UGH. I haven't been on this site in almost a week and a half. I am SO NERVOUS about giving a presentation tomorrow that it has taken all my energy to not focus on eating bad food for stress relief. I feel such a tightness in my stomach about giving public speeches and I cannot wait for tomorrow to be over.

Even though I have been following good eating habits.... I have gained 3 lbs! I am so upset. I am hoping it is just stress weight and that it will disappear in a few days. It is pretty disappointing though.

Hope you all are in better spirits than me.... Sorry to be a wet blanket.
    You should find the children's book, I think it is called the Emperor's Clothes?
  • Capricious - thank you for your advice. that is what I have been doing. practicing practicing practicing I HATE public speaking to begin with and the added stress of getting a pass / fail grade based on my research makes it even more stressful. you are right. it will be great to have this huge stress behind me...... and hopefully my cravings and weight gain will follow....
  • Quote: Capricious - thank you for your advice. that is what I have been doing. practicing practicing practicing I HATE public speaking to begin with and the added stress of getting a pass / fail grade based on my research makes it even more stressful. you are right. it will be great to have this huge stress behind me...... and hopefully my cravings and weight gain will follow....
    It will be great to get this behind you.
    I took a course once where we had to give a talk which was taped. Then we got feedback from the group and we reawatched the tape and told the group how we felt while giving the talk. Everyone described being far more nervous than they appeared to the group. I hope it goes well.

I am making shakes from whey powder. One ingredient called for is flaxseed. I reached on the shelf at the store for ground flaxseed. But when I got home I realized what I had was roasted flaxseed. It smells and tastes delicious in the shake.
    But I think I had read somewhere that whole flaxseeds don't have any benefit because they just go right throgh you. Does anyone know if that is right?

Pat
  • Quote: Thanks for opening new thread Wuv-
    I am still struggling to get back on the wagon- Did great over weekend then last night, lost control and ate not one, but 2 bowls of cereal. grrrrrrrr. Don't understand why it is so hard to get back to it when originally it seemed effortless.
    Yup very hard...I seem to have a 13 day limit to my phase 1 movement and then I bust on day 14....and it hurts...really physcially...because I am so deep in ketosis and then bam...I am out.

I was 15 pounds above my maintenance weight when I started my reboot back at the end of March...I have only done 13 days at a time...each then busting with one day off...back in April I had a whole week off around Easter....but currently only 4 away from my maintenance weight....but now finding it impossible to jump back on after Saturday's bust. I think I will just learn to be happy here.
  • Quote: Yup very hard...I seem to have a 13 day limit to my phase 1 movement and then I bust on day 14....and it hurts...really physcially...because I am so deep in ketosis and then bam...I am out.

I was 15 pounds above my maintenance weight when I started my reboot back at the end of March...I have only done 13 days at a time...each then busting with one day off...back in April I had a whole week off around Easter....but currently only 4 away from my maintenance weight....but now finding it impossible to jump back on after Saturday's bust. I think I will just learn to be happy here.
    I as well find that doing phase 1 is soooo much harder. I can be good for 2 - 3 weeks and then find I am not losing, (which I should) and then just give up and have that teaspoon or 3 of peanut butter or whatever... Lately it is the air popped fake chips that only have 90 cal per 2 cups... so I thought bonus... somewhere my brain left me and I didn't bother to look at the carbs... well that 2 cups has 18 little grams of carbs.... so my cravings are back, and here I go another day back to phase 1. Have my herbal iced tea, my chai tea and my water all sitting on my desk ready to consume... we just have to do the best we can and eat healthy, I too want to lose the 15 lbs I have gained it is an immense struggle this time around but my size 8s are tight and I am not buying more clothes.